Thread: Not eating

Hybrid View

Default Re: Not eating

I bought the Luxolite detox minerals which says 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds and the Vitality Science pet flora which says half a capsule per 10 pounds. If She's weighing in at just under 2 pounds how do I give her such an insignificant amount? That little won't even come out of the syringe. And if she does indeed have a UTI I would assume I need to give her antibiotics.

Do you have any antibiotics? Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro (Animal/human) are both good antibiotics to use for UTI’s. Do you have any? It is very serious if you have not seen pee for 3 days. Is there anyway she could be peeing and you don’t know?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Uribity, please check your private messages located at the top of the forum under “Notifications”. I will send you the vet information in a private message.

Edit: Private message has been sent.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (01-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Do you have any antibiotics? Clavamox/augmentin or Baytril/Cipro (Animal/human) are both good antibiotics to use for UTI’s. Do you have any? It is very serious if you have not seen pee for 3 days. Is there anyway she could be peeing and you don’t know?
    She might be licking up her pee as she has been grooming / licking her genitals almost constantly. Aside from that there are no wet spots in her cage at all. I might be able to obtain some antibiotics, but currently don't have any.

Women are often prescribed Cipro for UTI’s. See if you can get one pill and get the strength and we can dose from that. Clavamox is prescribed for dogs and cats see if anyone has any extra. We need one or two pills at the most. There are other antibiotics we could use but these are the most common.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (01-29-2019)

I have Penicillin V potassium 500 mg. Would this be a safe antibiotic to use for her? If so, can somebody please private message me dosage instructions?

Mel1959 gave me a number for a vet, but I might not be able to make it out until Friday or Saturday due to the aweful weather we're having this week.

I found the video for expressing the bladder, and I am going to try, but she is awfully ornery. She always gets mean in January and February. Hopefully I'll have all my fingers with the next update.

We do not prescribe Penicillin use for squirrels as it's not recommended and can be toxic for rodents.
    I've personally not know any vet that has prescribed it for a squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We do not prescribe Penicillin use for squirrels as it's not recommended and can be toxic for rodents.
    I've personally not know any vet that has prescribed it for a squirrel.
    Yeah, I didn't think so, unfortunately that's all I could find.

My attempt to express her bladder failed. She was very bitey, but I had gloves on, so no lost fingers. She was very active tonight and was running around more than I've seen her do in awhile. Hopefully that's a good sign. She did go to her corner and squat so I thought she was going to pee, but when she ran off the corner was still bone dry. Almost like she tried to go but then couldn't.

Is She pooing ok now, or has that stopped as well? I ask for reason of her belly being swollen. With both the abdomen swelling and no urinating I'm very concerned; for with no urination that her belly is distended due to her not being able to empty her bladder, which in rodents can fill much of the lower abdomen; yet if overly enlarged that is a bad sign. For if she cannot pee then toxins will build up in her body.

Again, check for alkaline pH in the urine; it's important!

QUOTE=Uribity;1285549]I bought the Luxolite detox minerals which says 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds and the Vitality Science pet flora which says half a capsule per 10 pounds.[/QUOTE]

At the 800 grams you noted for her weight, closest amount by lb. comes to barely short of 1 3/4 lbs. For the dosage for this weight, begin by dividing the capsule powder in half which is noted to equal the dosage for a 10 lb. animals. This is best done with butcher paper that has a waxy side to prevent the powder from sticking to the paper.

From there divide it into 10 equal portions. Then taking one of the ten portions, divide it into 4 parts.

Add 3 of 4 divided parts of one of ten parts from one half of a capsule powder to equal the approx. dosage for a squirrel 1 3/4 lb. of body wt.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)