Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not eating

Default Re: Not eating

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We do not prescribe Penicillin use for squirrels as it's not recommended and can be toxic for rodents.
    I've personally not know any vet that has prescribed it for a squirrel.
    Yeah, I didn't think so, unfortunately that's all I could find.

My attempt to express her bladder failed. She was very bitey, but I had gloves on, so no lost fingers. She was very active tonight and was running around more than I've seen her do in awhile. Hopefully that's a good sign. She did go to her corner and squat so I thought she was going to pee, but when she ran off the corner was still bone dry. Almost like she tried to go but then couldn't.

Is She pooing ok now, or has that stopped as well? I ask for reason of her belly being swollen. With both the abdomen swelling and no urinating I'm very concerned; for with no urination that her belly is distended due to her not being able to empty her bladder, which in rodents can fill much of the lower abdomen; yet if overly enlarged that is a bad sign. For if she cannot pee then toxins will build up in her body.

Again, check for alkaline pH in the urine; it's important!

QUOTE=Uribity;1285549]I bought the Luxolite detox minerals which says 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds and the Vitality Science pet flora which says half a capsule per 10 pounds.[/QUOTE]

At the 800 grams you noted for her weight, closest amount by lb. comes to barely short of 1 3/4 lbs. For the dosage for this weight, begin by dividing the capsule powder in half which is noted to equal the dosage for a 10 lb. animals. This is best done with butcher paper that has a waxy side to prevent the powder from sticking to the paper.

From there divide it into 10 equal portions. Then taking one of the ten portions, divide it into 4 parts.

Add 3 of 4 divided parts of one of ten parts from one half of a capsule powder to equal the approx. dosage for a squirrel 1 3/4 lb. of body wt.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think so, unfortunately that's all I could find.

My attempt to express her bladder failed. She was very bitey, but I had gloves on, so no lost fingers. She was very active tonight and was running around more than I've seen her do in awhile. Hopefully that's a good sign. She did go to her corner and squat so I thought she was going to pee, but when she ran off the corner was still bone dry. Almost like she tried to go but then couldn't.
    Call around to family and friends to see if you can locate another antibiotic. You just need one pill.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2019), GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), redwuff (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)

I went out of the room to get her some cranberry juice and when I came back she was in her corner squatting. I was so excited for her I let her finish before approaching. There's the very tiniest of a puddle and she's dragging her butt around again which she hasn't done for several days now. I'm excited that something finally came out, but she's still obviously struggling.

She's pooping just fine - no trouble there at all.

She's grooming herself so much she has an open wound now.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Uribity:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2019), GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), redwuff (01-30-2019)

That’s great that she peed. It definitely sounds like she has a UTI. Where is the open wound? This could present a whole other problem if it were to get infected.

Any luck tracking down an antibiotic other than penicillin? What is the penicillin you have? Does it go by a name like Amoxicillin or Ampicillin?

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2019), GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), redwuff (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)

I've been asking around, no luck so far getting a different antibiotic. The prescription bottle says Penicillin V K 500 Mg.

The wound is on her right shin just below her knee joint. Now I'm extra concerned about getting her some antibiotics because I don't want that getting infected as well.

She's been a lot more active today than she has been. Running around lot this morning.

Corn silk has some antibiotic properties and is an edible source (like cranberries) that may assist with urinary track issues. Source in winter is to ask your grocer to save the corn hair w/husks for you. Ours does this for no cost. This is not a substitute for antibiotic, but can help until you can get the meds.

I found someone who has some Augmentin.
    Someone please private message me.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

Mel1959 (01-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    I found someone who has some Augmentin.
    Someone please private message me.

If you are requesting a PM with dosing info, we would need to know what strength Augmentin you have located?

800g squirrel weight
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Did she pee after you had begun giving the cranberry juice, or before?

How did she get the wound, did she chew herself, or injure herself somehow?

In support of her health and present multi issue condition, I recommend you get one of the sources of Pycnogenol here below that has been used in support of the health of tree squirrels.

Pycnogenol is an extract of the cambium layer of the cambium living layer of the Maritime Pine, which like unto natural sources of this same sub-layer of tree bark is high in nutrients that contain compounds that are very high anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti bacterial, anti-viral, anti-diabetic, anti-cholesterol, along with lending support to bone health. (PYC) has been researched and tested in rats for over 40 years, with no toxicity issues from continual; of course it is needful to keep the dosage in the range of which it has been tested.

This is the dry source, 1/64 Tsp. , is given every other day. It requires a set of mini Teaspoons to measure it that adds to the cost, even so a very good idea to have on hand for other health supporting source measures.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi...00142E92I?th=1

The total cost for the liquid is about the same as the dry without the spoons included, for though the noted cost of the product is much lower, the shipping is 25.00. Personally I like the liquid as it has shown are more pronounced effects.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-pycnogenol

Though the dropper that comes with the bottle for the liquid source of PYC isn't the most accurate measuring method, yet in this case with a larger body wt. squirrel it should be fine. Give one drop AM and one PM with meals. The ethanol base supports the well absorption of Pycnogenol.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019)

Thank you Hoof for caring about the squirrels as to share about corn silk. The problem with corn silk though is that it has one of the very highest occurrences of contamination by Aspergillus Flavius, a fungus that produces deadly Alfatoxins, which is most everywhere. And although some tested organic packagedsources of corn silk that are harvested early (not treated with fungicides) might be safe, the husks of corn ears in the market commonly contain this fungus, which even if sprayed with a fungicide the spores can get down in between the corn silk hairs. This even when there is no black rot showing on the husk when examined, since the spores cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Surveys in the field and studies on controlled plots have shown that Aspergiilus flavus can infect corn and produce aflatoxin before harvest
    https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/28327/PDF

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019)

It is Co-Amoxiclav 625 Mg. She weighs 800 grams.

She got the wound from chewing on her leg. She has been grooming her lower half aggressively. Licking her genitals almost constantly and licking and chewing on her belly and legs.

I gave her two doses of cranberry juice yesterday and later at night she went to her corner and squatted but noting came out. This morning she was in her corner and squatting and there was a very tiny puddle. This was before I gave her any cranberry juice for the day.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

Mel1959 (01-30-2019)

Sending dosing now...
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Mel1959 (01-30-2019), Spanky (01-30-2019), stepnstone (01-30-2019), Uribity (01-30-2019)

Is the wound near her groin, or lower on her leg?

We would love to see a picture of your sweet little girl
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Thank you all for your help. She has had her first dose of antibiotics. I will keep everyone updated.

Here's a picture from January 7th.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Uribity:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Mel1959 (01-31-2019), redwuff (01-31-2019), TubeDriver (01-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Is the wound near her groin, or lower on her leg?
    It's lower on her leg, just below her knee.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    We would love to see a picture of your sweet little girl
    From January 1st.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Uribity:

GoldenEyes (01-30-2019), Mel1959 (01-31-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast