Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Not eating

Default Re: Not eating

For any questions you may have on this recall:

Contact Tris Customer Service at 732-940-0358.

I’m glad you have an appointment. I think it would be a good idea to specifically ask the vet about getting some Gabapentin. Keep us posted, please.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019)

Now that you mention it, I do remember friends posting about the recall of children's ibuprofen on Facebook. I'll hold off and see what the vet says. She's been sleeping since 4:00, so I guess I won't disturb her and let her get her rest.

When I let her out earlier she was too distracted running around and attacking me to chew on herself. Maybe she's doing it from boredom? I would like to think she wouldn't chew herself that much from boredom though, but who knows?

I don't think she fell. I keep a good eye on her whenever I let her out. She doesn't seem to be in any pain when she runs around. She got the zoomies earlier and was zipping around at top speed around my bed.

How’d the vet visit go?

The vet took x-rays and said she did indeed have urinary crystals and inflamed kidneys. The vet wasn't able to express any urine from her bladder either, but said it wasn't swollen either, meaning it wasn't full. Blood tests came back that she had too much calcium. I'm so scared of her getting MBD I guess I was over compensating. Her Ph levels were actually too low. The vet also said that at some point she broke her arm and it never healed properly so her grip isn't very good with that arm. She always has been a clumsy climber and that's why we ultimately never released her.

Did the vet recommend any treatments? With inflammed kidneys, I would probably NOT give ibuprophen which is hard on the kidneys. No need to stress them any further. Definitely back off on any calcium for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Uribity View Post
    The vet took x-rays and said she did indeed have urinary crystals and inflamed kidneys. The vet wasn't able to express any urine from her bladder either, but said it wasn't swollen either, meaning it wasn't full. Blood tests came back that she had too much calcium. I'm so scared of her getting MBD I guess I was over compensating. Her Ph levels were actually too low. The vet also said that at some point she broke her arm and it never healed properly so her grip isn't very good with that arm. She always has been a clumsy climber and that's why we ultimately never released her.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

What did the vet think of her chewing on herself. What did you think of the vet?

How has her behavior been lately.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

The vet prescribed her medication for pain and antibiotics. She said flush her system with plenty of water - lots and lots of fluid. She cleaned the wounds and put some ointment on them, and said they weren't too bad and should heal quickly. She said that it's possible that Squee is chewing on herself out of frustration. Squee was very sleepy after waking up from anthiesia, put a towel over her cage and she slept the whole way home. She had a pretty rough day. After getting home she was pretty angry, but calm enough that we gave her prescriptions. I liked the vet. Very nice, but stern about getting her diet on track.

Just want to thank everyone for their help. The vet recommended injecting medicine into grapes. So far that tip has been working out great. I've found it works even better with tomatoes and strawberries, so wanted to share that with everyone.

Squee is still a little grumpy, but not nearly as much as she was before her vet visit. I think not feeling well made her angrier. She seems to be doing a little better, but I'm having trouble getting her to drink as much liquid as the vet recommended, and she's still gnawing on herself.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

TubeDriver (02-07-2019)

I’m sorry to hear she’s still chewing on herself. . Some folks on here have had good luck with OCD behavior by giving CBD oil. Of course with her kidney issues, I’d check with the vet first to be sure it wouldn’t be harmful. I’m not sure if YUCK! applied around the wound, not on it, maybe with a q-tip, would discourage her from chewing. It tastes very bitter, but might sting an open wound. If you have concerns I wouldn’t hesitate to call the vet and ask.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (02-07-2019)

I woke up to this on the bottom of her cage this morning. I called the vet and asked if the meds she's on made her vomit. I was told that rodents don't vomit and they asked me to bring her back in. I have another three hour car ride ahead for me tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Squirrels do not usually vomit, but they can, I’ve seen it. Could she have gotten into anything she shouldn’t have? The medication could have upset her stomach just like it can people. Are you give probiotics 2 hrs before or after her antibiotic? It’s good that you’re taking her back to the vet to have her checked again. I’m sorry it’s such a long drive. Continue to encourage her to drink water.

She didn't get into anything that she shouldn't have. When I let her out of her cage I keep her in my bedroom, and I only have my bed and dresser in there, and I supervise her, so she doesn't chew up either.

Last night I gave her her second daily dose of medicine with a yellow cherry tomato and I tried putting some coconut oil on her wounds. The coconut oil was less than a quarter of a teaspoon. Vomit would explain the color, I couldn't imagine it coming out that color if it were poop.

I have tried giving her some yogurt, but she wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.

I am glad you were able to get her to a vet so quickly. But have a back up too in case the one you took her to is out of town or something during an emergency. It's easier to find one when you don't need them, than worry about finding one when you do.

Regarding an earlier question you had about becoming licensed/permitted, contact other rehabbers in your area and see what the rules are for becoming permitted or licensed. They will have more info for you and may be able to help you with the process. Also, your state parks and wildlife websites.

I woke up to this on the bottom of her cage this morning. I called the vet and asked if the meds she's on made her vomit. I was told that rodents don't vomit and they asked me to bring her back in. I have another three hour car ride ahead for me tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas?
    Urbity, I’m so sorry that you are having these issues with your girl.

I don’t think you mentioned what drugs that the vet put your girl on, but if there is GI upset from antibiotics, it is usually in the form of diarrhea. Squirrels do vomit but it is more unusual than not.

Another reason that animals chew on themselves is displaced pain. Did the vet have a looky see at her spine? Did she look at her teeth to make sure they are growing properly. We are all guessing about the chewing and I’m so glad that you have a vet that seems knowledgeable and willing to work with you and your girl. Please let us know what the vet says.

I have a very good vet 1/2 hour away from me for which I am very grateful, but he is tough to get seen on his regular exotic hours. He is also the emergency vet and works 8pm to 7 am. He is very willing to see us during those hours but of course we wait till he has finished emergencies. Many times we have gone home closer to when the sun is coming up. So hang in there. We all know what it is like to love and care for these rascally unpredictable creatures that have grabbed a piece of our heart.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

GoldenEyes (02-07-2019), Mel1959 (02-09-2019), TubeDriver (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Urbity, I’m so sorry that you are having these issues with your girl.

I don’t think you mentioned what drugs that the vet put your girl on, but if there is GI upset from antibiotics, it is usually in the form of diarrhea. Squirrels do vomit but it is more unusual than not.

Another reason that animals chew on themselves is displaced pain. Did the vet have a looky see at her spine? Did she look at her teeth to make sure they are growing properly. We are all guessing about the chewing and I’m so glad that you have a vet that seems knowledgeable and willing to work with you and your girl. Please let us know what the vet says.

I have a very good vet 1/2 hour away from me for which I am very grateful, but he is tough to get seen on his regular exotic hours. He is also the emergency vet and works 8pm to 7 am. He is very willing to see us during those hours but of course we wait till he has finished emergencies. Many times we have gone home closer to when the sun is coming up. So hang in there. We all know what it is like to love and care for these rascally unpredictable creatures that have grabbed a piece of our heart.
    Squee put up quite the fight getting her into her pet carrier to take the trip to the vet. It took over an hour of running away from me and squawking at me, and then she finally gave up, laid down, and let me pick her up and put her into her carrier. She was such a gentle sweetheart after that. Lol, I guess the trick to her winter nasties is just to let her tire out.

I told the vet that Squee was still chewing on herself and she agreed that the wound had gotten significantly worse. She did blood tests to see if there were any parasites that may be causing Squee to feel itchy. No parasites, but the vet says that Squee shows signs of liver damage. My heart sunk when she told me that. She gave me thistle milk to help stop it from progressing further.

The vet was still not able to get a urine sample from Squee. She did a radiograph and said that Squee's bladder wall is thickened which means that it doesn't stretch and expand the way it should and so she's not getting a full bladder.

She basically just told me to continue with the meds.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Uribity from:

redwuff (02-09-2019)

Just want to thank everyone for their help. The vet recommended injecting medicine into grapes. So far that tip has been working out great. I've found it works even better with tomatoes and strawberries, so wanted to share that with everyone.
    You are getting excellent help here already and I'm so sorry your girl is having issues, Uribity. I do want to thank you for this gem you posted above -- what a great idea!! We can also use this to medicate wilds who need a drop of ivermectin for mange, or a bit of ABX for an infection. Brilliant! Much more precise than "putting a drop on half a pecan".
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (02-09-2019), Uribity (02-09-2019)

If squirrels are anything like rats, they don't "vomit" but they do regurgitate rarely. It's basically just a difference in the muscles used to bring food back up. Boils down to terminology really and how far along the food can get before they're not able to bring it up. Just a side note.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelDad from:

redwuff (02-09-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234