Thread: Flyer squirrel help

Default Flyer squirrel help

Someone just dropped off this little guy to me. Siblings were killed by cat. He weighs 21gr, eyes open. Man who found him gave him star fruit and he ate it last night. . I am NOT familiar with flying squirrels at all. What do I do first? Rehydrate with homemade pedialyte? How long? Which formula FV 20/50 or Esbilac? Add a Ultraboost or not? Give an antibiotic? I have Baytril 22.7 and Clavamox 62.5.

I have him in a bin half on a heating pad on low.

Remember, I am in Florida and our squirrels are smaller than northern ones. I have no idea if this pertains to flyers, but I thought I’d mention it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Flyer squirrel help

He took about .1cc of sweetened water.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GoldenEyes from:

Mel1959 (01-11-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Same as grey.

Warm. Hydrate. Feed.

Cat mouth equals meds to CYA

Esbilac with UB is fine

Veg, some fruit, few nuts, meal worms

Sorry so short, running out, but it's enough to get you started till others come on

EDIT; They are fast, like very fast and slippery too. High security container required.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (01-11-2019)

How is the flyer this morning? I got some great advice from skul when I got a flyer in. Let me find the thread.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (01-12-2019)

This is actually great advice from Crittermom.

“I don't think the Esbilac is enough for these guys. The old method when using the FV 32/40 was to add heavy cream and full fat yogurt to the full strength 32/40. I would do the same with the esbilac - adding the "boosters" very gradually over several feedings until you are at about 2 parts water, 1 part formula powder, 1/2 part cream and 1/2 part yogurt. Read the label on the cream at the store and get the one with the highest fat percentage (usually "heavy cream" or "heavy whipping cream"). If you think he is enthusiastic about chow now, wait until you start adding cream and yobaby to it!”

Flyers are a lot of fun and soooooo beautiful. So glad to hear that you, Loyld, and Joey are coming to the gathering.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (01-12-2019), Nancy in New York (01-12-2019), SammysMom (01-12-2019)

Hey Redwuff, I just posted a new thread for him in the nursery titled “Gizmo”. He’s doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    This is actually great advice from Crittermom.

“I don't think the Esbilac is enough for these guys. The old method when using the FV 32/40 was to add heavy cream and full fat yogurt to the full strength 32/40. I would do the same with the esbilac - adding the "boosters" very gradually over several feedings until you are at about 2 parts water, 1 part formula powder, 1/2 part cream and 1/2 part yogurt. Read the label on the cream at the store and get the one with the highest fat percentage (usually "heavy cream" or "heavy whipping cream"). If you think he is enthusiastic about chow now, wait until you start adding cream and yobaby to it!”

Flyers are a lot of fun and soooooo beautiful. So glad to hear that you, Loyld, and Joey are coming to the gathering.
    I have already added the Ultraboost (75 FV/25 Ultraboost) and added a dollop of vanilla full fat yogurt, but I will work towards equal parts yogurt and Ultraboost to FV.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

BCChins (01-12-2019), Nancy in New York (01-12-2019), redwuff (01-12-2019)