Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These were in a mixed nut bag; hazel nuts?

Default These were in a mixed nut bag; hazel nuts?

My daughter came home with some mixed nuts from Kroger. I recognize
    Walnut and almond but what are these? Safe?

Name:  19BCA9D7-6BBE-4EA2-91EA-4DC33A803CF3.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  49.1 KB

Default Re: These were in a mixed but bag; hazel nuts?

Hazel nuts. My wilds eat them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snowy from:

Snicker Bar (01-07-2019)

Also known as Filberts.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snowy:

ClemC5 (01-08-2019), island rehabber (01-09-2019), Snicker Bar (01-07-2019)

Great, thanks . Maybe I can lure these flyers out of my shirt with them?!? These guys have become
    Velcro furballs on steroids!!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

island rehabber (01-09-2019)

My flyers loved them! They chewed the funniest little hole in the shell!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

island rehabber (01-09-2019), Snicker Bar (01-07-2019)

Lol just found my glasses on the floor of squirrel room , and noticed my spelling error! “But bag” ; that’s about right . They’re burryimg them in my butt, bra, armpit...
    So if there’s a tech savvy person out there can I fix that ? If not oh well, I guess the picture helps to clarify we aren’t buying but bags in MS ...

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    My flyers loved them! They chewed the funniest little hole in the shell!
    I have a little basket filled with drilled hazelnuts from Laz. How in the heck to they fish the nut out of that teeny hole?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Snicker Bar (01-08-2019)

Default Re: These were in a mixed nut bag; hazel nuts?

All my fuzzers just love those. One of their favorite treats.

My little Simon (who is partially blind), however, doesn't seem to realize he's supposed to eat just the nut. He tries to eat the shell until he finally gets to the nut Since he's not clear on the concept, now I make sure to remove the shell before I give them to him.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Nancy in New York (01-09-2019), redwuff (01-10-2019), Snicker Bar (01-09-2019)

Hazelnuts are one of the healthiest nuts you can give your squirrels. As nuts go, their Calcium-to-phosphorous ratio is better than most, and waaaay better than cashews or pecans.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Snicker Bar (01-09-2019), stepnstone (01-09-2019)

Glad to know this, will switch over for recipes

I have to share. There is a hazelnut farm in Oregon or Washington where I purchased a 60# bag of shelled hazelnuts for around $40! My daughter was driving home from Oregon following an internship out there so I had her load up a bag of these as well as some unshelled ones. I have no idea what the shipping would cost but I can look into the name of the place if anyone is interested. I use these in my boo balls so I’m glad to hear they are better for the squees.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (01-10-2019), Snicker Bar (01-10-2019)

I’d be glad to order. They’re $7.49 per # here ( getting more at Kroger now) so dang , that would be way cheaper!

Don't want to be a party pooper, yet if the nuts happen not to be organically certified, then nut growers aren't restricted from using the following noted fungicides and pesticides as the law allows, and in some cases requires nuts be fumigated with to destroy for Alfatoxins, and insects before they are sold in markets. Since the use of these toxins increases yield, those that produce nuts organically will often use one or both of these fumigants to produce non organic nuts.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/content/usd...s-requirements

With organic grown and you are willing to open them up, instead of having the squirrels open them, so you can check them for evidence of fungus, and in addition soak them in organic low fat yogurt, or low fat kefir overnight, rinsing them in the morning with pure water, blotting them to remove excess water and placing them spread out on a cooking sheet to heat approx. 18 min. on low in the oven, with the door open if the lowest temp isn't low enough, then the risk of fungal toxicity is greatly reduced.

https://wellnessmama.com/59139/soaking-nuts-seeds/ Just don't add any salt.

This process also lowers phytates and oxalates to some degree, as the pre/probiotic in organic yogurt and Kefir reduce both oxalic acid and calcium oxalate also, as these sources contain oxalate consuming good bacteria, and the fermentation of the yogurt and Kefir reduce phytates, which in turn increases the bioavailability of the calcium in nuts. For when nuts are fed raw the noted Ca:P ratio isn't supported, since calcium is loss to oxalate predation upon the intestinal digestion of nuts, and the absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream, where oxalic acid bonds readily with Calcium carbonate, transforming it into the insoluble compound know as Calcium oxalate, the same that has a potential to promote the formation of Calcium oxalate kidney stones in highly acidic urine. The noted ratio of raw nuts is not supported once this takes place, as the resulting calcium loss increases the P:Ca ratio as a direct result.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (01-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Don't want to be a party pooper, yet if the nuts happen not to be organically certified, then nut growers aren't restricted from using the following noted fungicides and pesticides as the law allows, and in some cases requires nuts be fumigated with to destroy for Alfatoxins, and insects before they are sold in markets. Since the use of these toxins increases yield, those that produce nuts organically will often use one or both of these fumigants to produce non organic nuts.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/content/usd...s-requirements

With organic grown and you are willing to open them up, instead of having the squirrels open them, so you can check them for evidence of fungus, and in addition soak them in organic low fat yogurt, or low fat kefir overnight, rinsing them in the morning with pure water, blotting them to remove excess water and placing them spread out on a cooking sheet to heat approx. 18 min. on low in the oven, with the door open if the lowest temp isn't low enough, then the risk of fungal toxicity is greatly reduced.

https://wellnessmama.com/59139/soaking-nuts-seeds/ Just don't add any salt.

This process also lowers phytates and oxalates to some degree, as the pre/probiotic in organic yogurt and Kefir reduce both oxalic acid and calcium oxalate also, as these sources contain oxalate consuming good bacteria, and the fermentation of the yogurt and Kefir reduce phytates, which in turn increases the bioavailability of the calcium in nuts. For when nuts are fed raw the noted Ca:P ratio isn't supported, since calcium is loss to oxalate predation upon the intestinal digestion of nuts, and the absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream, where oxalic acid bonds readily with Calcium carbonate, transforming it into the insoluble compound know as Calcium oxalate, the same that has a potential to promote the formation of Calcium oxalate kidney stones in highly acidic urine. The noted ratio of raw nuts is not supported once this takes place, as the resulting calcium loss increases the P:Ca ratio as a direct result.
    I hear what you’re saying, Diggies Friend, but in my area we are very limited in sources for organic nuts. I’m also fairly certain that the wild squirrels don’t care if their nuts are organic or not. I would never intentionally feed a captive or wild squirrel anything that was harmful, but I think everyone has to be realistic about this. Im sorry to say that most folks don’t have the time or dedication to go through many of the processes you suggest...it’s just not feasible. I applaud you for your dedication to nutritionally sound food sources for your squirrels. They are very lucky.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Scooterzmom (01-11-2019), Snicker Bar (01-11-2019)

While we're on the subject, should anyone live here in the outrageously high cost of living NY Metro area, Stop & Shop grocery stores has almonds and walnuts in the shell on sale for $2.99/lb. This is a HUGE savings for us, because those bags of Diamond nuts can get up to $6.99/lb right before the holidays
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Snicker Bar (01-11-2019)

Hope my animals appreciate me today... Shopped for them and my human family for over hour and half after work day from hell...Carefully getting the best veggies and nuts ( and many cartons of ice cream for my secret freezer). Get to check out, card is declined 😑 Says wrong PIN ( it wasn’t ). New bank issues apparently. Had to leave my food, drive back to office alone at night ( not safe) and get pulled over by a police officer within 1/4 of our business . Headlight was out. I was so rattled, embarrassed and ticked off I couldn’t locate my insurance card. I tried to explain the whole sad story of my evening and could tell the cop was really impressed... Finally I said, “You know? I’m kind of glad you just pulled me over officer! This isn’t a very safe thing coming here at night! If you will just follow me to that building over there, I can get some cash for my food, and find that card “ I think he truly believed I was a frazzled druggie (I bet I looked classic pothead by this point) about to attempt to drive away, but to humor me he allowed me to pull out, politely park and unlock my office and get the $$. I said “See, this happened for a reason. Could have had my throat slit if you hadn’t have been here “ He looked at my ticket and said “You know what, you’re right ... Sounds like you’ve had a bad enough evening. I’ll just give you a warning instead. Anytime you’re scared coming down here you just call me!
    So, there it is. My Hazelnuts were extremely difficult to come by last night. Fed my babies at 10:00, heated my cold supper, cuddled with one kid and two squirrels for 5 and tucked them all in.
    Then grabbed the Bryers and a spoon, and hid in the bathroom. No nuts. Cookies and Cream

28. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Diggie's Friend (01-11-2019), island rehabber (01-11-2019), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2019), Mel1959 (01-11-2019), RamaMama (01-12-2019), Scooterzmom (01-11-2019)

Oh Marie, I’m so sorry you had such a rough day . I’m sure the officer appreciated your honesty and your honest concerns. You can’t make up stuff like that....he’s probably heard a lot of stories, but never one like that.

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (01-11-2019), lukaslolamaus (01-11-2019), Snicker Bar (01-11-2019)

If you imagine that the prep would be done daily, that isn't the case save for cooking veggies. These preparations are done very infrequently about three to four times a year.

Beginning this process with the nuts can take max a couple of hours total, not in one block, which makes this is a doable process. Just choose the day when you have the time to do it. .
    Blanching nuts then soaking them overnight helps to remove the skin can be made easier just by using clean soft tooth brush, which does much to remove toxins along makes them allot healthier! Once dried the nuts are placed into vacuum sealed bags and stored in the cupboard.

With the investment of about hour every few months, and feeding less than a teaspoon the nuts daily, you can achieve this goal.

Considering that when not prepared that the toxins, oxalates, and phytates that both lower the level and increase the ratio of P:Ca. and don't address a possible non visible fungal issues, can cost much more in time and treasure..

Squash is prebaked and portioned out into some compartments using ice or baby food trays, that makes feeding them daily a breeze. Only vegetables are boiled daily, and using this small wire tea stranger makes that very easy to do. https://www.amazon.com/TraderPlus-St...trainer+spring

There are small mini freezers available that will fit in a small apartment that can be sued to store the foods should your freezer not have the room to feed over a couple of squirrels.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (01-11-2019)

Whoops! I see I left something important out:

Considering that when not prepared that the toxins, oxalates, and phytates that both lower the level of calcium, and increase the ratio of P:Ca. and don't address a possible non visible fungal issues, can cost much more in time and treasure..

With the investment of about hour every few months, and feeding less than a teaspoon the nuts daily, you can achieve this goal.
    For preparation of fruits (cutting up) and squash (baked), that is done when these sources are in season.

Frozen vegetables can be purchased anytime. Earthbound is an organic brand that carries pre-cut up vegetables.

Of course, the more squirrels you care for, the greater the amount to prepared with be.

Asking a friend over to help makes this task easier, faster, and fun!

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (01-12-2019)

Because I was under the impression that hazel nuts in general were better than walnuts or almonds I tried putting
    them in my boo balls, to take the place of SOME of the other two, but not all.

Dumb BAD MOVE ! !

My CR squs HATE them. What a bummer. Having a difficult time getting them to accept the boo balls now but
    I can't waste what is so difficult to come by........ the Fox Valley mainly. So for this batch they will have to deal.

I won't do this again.
    Sorry to say but Hazel nuts are completely off the Costa Rican menu. CR squs really do not care for nuts very
    much with the minor exception that some of them like English Walnuts, or black walnuts {which I no longer buy}
    and some like California Almonds.
    Rama pretty much hates every thing except CR almendra's right off the tree.

"What a world"
    [/

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Snicker Bar (01-12-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast