Thread: NUT GRINDER ADVICE ! !

Default NUT GRINDER ADVICE ! !

I believe many of you grind nuts and HHB's into a fine powder to make Boo Balls....

We have gone through a Cuisinart grinder just about every 2 yrs, They work great but DO NOT LAST !

What brands and types do any TSB'ers use that work great and have lasted but are NOT super costly?
    Some I have viewed took my breath away $ $ $ !

Going to have to bring some thing back from the US.
    Hoping it will not be too too heavy.

Thanks for all Feedback.

Default Re: NUT GRINDER ADVICE ! !

Coffee Grinder like $15

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (01-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Is there another place to purchase this ? ? ? When I went to purchase it shows it will not arrive until Feb 1 - Feb 22nd.
    I can't find any Brand name so I can even search for it.

My last day in FL is Feb 2nd.

Is CR a 220v AC country?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I personally have not had great luck with a coffee grinder for my block, but I have never used it for nuts. I use a regular ninja with the small cup to grind both my Harlan block and nuts. It grinds the hard Harlan Teklad block into a powder.

I believe Ninja might make a small personal size blender, but if not Nutri-Bullet does.

My BAD !

I NEED a grinder that will turn to fine powder, nuts, HHB blocks, Magnesium and calcium tablets etc

The Cuisinart grinders we used to get were for coffee beans......... they just DO NOT last even tho they do a great job when they work.

HELP ! It can't be gigantic or super heavy as I have to pack it in my suitcase with all the other stuff I HAVE to bring back.

Thanks.

I would consider a hand grinder for with all the storms you have you may lose power.

That is a good idea. Another one is an old fashioned, hand crank, meat grinder. It will crush up nut or blocks and then if you need to make it finer, you could add to a blender without stressing the blender motor as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I would consider a hand grinder for with all the storms you have you may lose power.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

These might be bigger and heavier than you want, but I’m sure they would work very well. One has a 900hp motor and the other 1000hp motor.

I’m not sure where in FL you’re gonna be, but if it’s near Indian Harbour Beach, I have 20% off coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond if needed.

I just pulled these up on the internet. I didn’t search BB and B but I’m sure they have the same, or similar models.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

As for mineral tablets, where though the total elemental mg measure is noted, you would still need to determine the volume measure to determine the measures to then be able to calculate them from there. This though is hard to do, as it first has to be pulverized with a hammer as the powder can get stuck in the grinder, which makes it an accurate means to use. For recipes it still would be challenging and complicated to do save perhaps using a pill splitter.

In addition tabs include additional ingredients that add volume to the mix, and fillers that aren't desired.

This is complicated enough to do with help, yet with tabs that have no volume measure noted you would be left to determine the volume equivalent if you can on on your own. Some might use a test tube to pour the powder from a pulverized tab into, to then hold over wax butcher paper to catch what is excess. If though the Tsp. is too large you then start all over again. Some tabs my even require multiple volume measures with makes using the tabs not practical to use.

Save for MBD treatments, where tabs can be used due to the high amount included in the treatments, using tabs for small amount is a bear when the volume equivalency per tab has to be determined to support accuracy, which the determination is very hard to do with the small amount of powder sticking to glass and other sources.

With a recipe it is a bit easier admittedly, yet it is still allot of hammering that can disturb the squirrels compared to using the powder, which is better as it has no additives, and so no excess volume, or ingredients included.

For these reasons, as I have shared, my number one choice of mineral citrates is from :Frontier Naturals", tha thave the mg. measure to volume noted on their labels. Then using a calculator, diving it down by (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 to get the supplemental measure you desire. Then using the corresponding fraction Teaspoon(s) will support the optimum target Ca:Mg ratio.

This is straight forward measuring that is easy to use with a recipe. Again the amount isn't allot for as you say your are using a rodent block, which all the more makes using the powder the way to go.

You can easily use the tabs with a pill splitter if need be for your own use, yet reducing them to powder measuring them for volume equivalent isn't. I know of only one person that has done this well, and it wasn't me physically doing it, but my partner in the diet, who has made my work possible to apply to the diet of tree squirrels cared for in captivity.

Edit from above post for typos and grammar, and content for 3rd to last paragraph:

As I've shared prior, my number one choice of powder mineral citrates, both Calcium and magnesium is from "Frontier Naturals", and the second choices from "NOW". Then using a calculator to divide the noted amount of dosage for humans down by (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64) to get the supplemental measure to bring up the Ca:P ratio and Ca:Mg ratios to what was found to be optimal for adult rats in support of healthier bones, and inhibit the formation of kidney stones, can be done.

Please know, even when capsule contents are measured to determine volume it is difficult to get an accurate volume measure. Tabs with no volume equivalency noted, are a bear to work with for other than MBD treatments when tiny measures are needed to supplement a rodent block diet. The best that can be done then would be to add the Magnesium Citrate in the lowest measure you can and then bring it up slowly every few days by the same till bowel tolerance is breached where the stool begins to loosen, not diarrhea, then back down by the smallest measure 1/64 Tsp. and wait a couple of days to see if the bowels firm up again. And then if not, to back down once again. Not knowing the dose by powdered volume of tabs makes measuring for dosage an inaccurate endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Is CR a 220v AC country?
    YES - all electric is the same here as in US.

Off Topic

I am completely lost with all the measuring etc. of cal mag.

I have followed advice - use the 400 mg mag tablet, it is crushed into a fine powder and mixed with a proper amount of measured water. At this time JD is the only of getting it.

One drop from a 1 cc syringe is put into each small boo ball which is then frozen. Many are made at the same time while constantly stirring the mag/water mix. One ball is given in the morning and one in the evening every other night. J.D. has very few and very minor seizures which is what I originally was using this mix for. Because he is doing so well I am extremely hesitant to change his routine.

I do realize that the measuring and way I am doing this is not exact but it is working.
    I already purchased and shipped the Mag I had been using in the past........ sorry.

Hi Diggie's Friend...... your PM box is FULL !

You are following the directions for a recipe used with formula etc. then. I can't say then what will happen as far as the bowels go the amounts of Mag citrate that you have included, which may or may not cause loose stool. If it does, reduce the magnesium you have put into your recipe immediately. If it's working well as you see it, I'm glad.

I use a ninja as well. Grinds my HT block and nuts up really well.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

I inherited a nutmeg grinder from my aunt which works great for a electric-free smaller quantity grinder.
    --
    V/r,

~T.

Thank you every one for all the suggestions. I finally ordered one
    and am having it shipped where I will be staying.
    I hope it will work well and last a long time.

Thanks again for all the advice and for taking the time to care.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

island rehabber (01-15-2019)