Thread: Bald spot on head

Default Bald spot on head

Hello all, little girl started developing a bald spot on her head a little over a week ago. I canít feel any sort of bump or scab. Sheís been an inside squirrel since around 10 days old so donít think itís mange or anything. Her diet is good, it doesnít seem to itch and she doesnít mind if I touch it. Any ideas?
    Name:  4579E360-84DA-4091-9539-0D3F00724AE0.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  128.6 KB

Default Re: Bald spot on head

That looks like she's been rubbing herself on something. How far apart are the bars of her cage... 1/2 inch, 1 inch....?
    Mitch & Scooter
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, sweetheart. You be at peace, enjoy your freedom, we'll meet at the Bridge again some day. I'll always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Nancy in New York (01-05-2019), stepnstone (01-04-2019)

Oh, duh. Thatís exactly what it is. The bars are an inch apart. Her cage is a nice size but weíre fixing to get her a larger one since weíll have her until at least March/April,it looks like those type bars are the only options, yes?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JMoe from:

Nancy in New York (01-06-2019)

You'd want to make sure to remedy that situation since the biting on the bars the way she does could cause her to break a tooth or displace them to grow the wrong way... which in turn ends up as a malocclusion or even odontoma. The good news is, that re some cages that have 1/2" spaced bars - the Critter Nation is a great choice. Ferret Nation is the same except the bars are vertical, it's best that they have horizontal, but hey! the space is the important thing.

They're easy to clean, easy to set up and for a few months, for a youngster, it makes for a comfortable abode - add a cube/nest, a hammock, some branches and stuffed toys, and there ya go...
    Mitch & Scooter
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, sweetheart. You be at peace, enjoy your freedom, we'll meet at the Bridge again some day. I'll always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

JMoe (01-06-2019), stepnstone (01-07-2019)

Does scooter have a box she sleeps in? Has she maybe put on a little winter weight? She maybe rubbing her head on the opening to her box if she has one. Mine has a wooden box and every winter he has a little crew cut on the top of his head. Also he packs the door more which makes the opening smaller.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dekota from:

stepnstone (01-07-2019)

I am sorry I got the name of your fuzzy one wrong, But my suggestion is still good.