Thread: 12 year old squirrel very sick/please help

SquirrelNanny Guest

Default 12 year old squirrel very sick/please help

My dear 12 year old male squirrel is very sick and not getting better. Appetite started decreasing about a week ago, but I did not notice because he was hiding his food. Stopped eating altogether last Friday. (12/28). Took him to vet Saturday. Vet noticed crusty nose. Gave fluids and started him on Baytril. Has been on Baytril 3 days (today is 4th day). Vet gave more fluids yesterday. He is not any better. Still not eating. Curled up in a ball. Has heating pad and giving Metacam. Has had neurological issues for a few years (the typewriter thing) but did not slow him down. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I am really not ready to euthanize him. He is my baby. Trying to give him nutrical and baby food but he fights it. Thanks so much. Dona

Default Re: 12 year old squirrel very sick/please help

I would work at getting hydration into him first. I know your vet did this yesterday but that was then... Lack of hydration can plunge them into this awful vicious circle - don't drink, get dehydrated, don't WANT to drink because of the dehydration, which of course gets worse. Try everything. Plain water. Water with a teeny bit of sugar, or honey, or maple syrup. Try warming it - try chilling it. Even if you just get a teeny bit in, let him rest, and give more in a bit.

Tell us about his diet, where he is housed, etc.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (01-01-2019)

SquirrelNanny Guest

He eats Henry's wild bites, monkey chow, rodent blocks, kale, carrots, broccoli, apples, blueberries, etc. But now he is not eating. He is in a huge ferret cage ( about 5' by 5'?) but gets out to play in the room. He has had a big dose of subQ fluids Sat. and yesterday. I will try to give him fluids by mouth. Also trying to give baby food. Thanks so much for your help.

Since he isn't eating, you will need to replace the key minerals he is now missing by giving him calcium and magnesium with a non-needle syringe.

https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements...te-pure-powder This source would be one that is more optimum, even so any pure calcium that doesn't contain Vitamin D can be used, the Citrate form is a better choice for older squirrels as it is better for the kidneys as the citrate offers support to their function. In older squirrels bladder stones or kidney stones may be an issue, yet kidney failure is most often found. Did your vet test his urine to determine whether this was the problem?

To read more on CKD in rodents: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...78#post1271678

Pycnogenol has also been found to be supportive of older squirrels health, including kidney health. Though the liquid from Organika Villiage store is optimal time is not on yoru side to get it to you promptly. If you have a local Vitamin Shoppe, call them and ask if they carry the 30 mg. Pycnogenol powdered extract. https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/pycn...psules/vs-3057

You can reduce this to the needed dose by emptying the powdered contents of the capsule evening it out and dividing the amount by 2, then the half by 2, then that half by two, which will yield 3.75 PYC extract. place this in a small receptacle, and add 1/2 Tsp. of pure water to it, (not form the tap) Stir then using a non needle syringe pull up as much as you can get. Then top it off with 1/4 Tsp. of organic naturally sweetened (with no sugars or artificial sweeteners added). place the syringe at a 45 degree anger just behind his incisor and firmly, but not shooting it into his mouth, give him the dose.

If he likes sweet stuff, you might try some Ensure. Lots of nutrients in a small amount of that. Some like it and some don't. Again, try everything in different temperatures, too. They seem to like warm stuff - then will steal and eat an ice cube, so you have to try both.

It would be nice to know he is fully hydrated before exploring other things. I think that older animals sometimes opt to not get up and go for a drink when they should, and it doesn't take long for a tiny animal like that to get into trouble. I have my cages set up so that at least one water source - normally the bottle (everyone has at least 1 water bottle and one big water dish) is as close as I can physically place it to the sleeping spots to try to combat this.

SquirrelNanny Guest

Thank you! I will work on getting calcium in him today. My squirrel rehab friend recommended Tums. (1 crushed tab mixed with juice) Although that may not be ideal, that is about all I can acquire today. Just gave him water with warm nutrical mixed with it. Swallowed about 3 ccs. Will keep giving him more...

SquirrelNanny Guest

Ensure sounds great. Will get some. He likes sweets. Have to go babysit my nephew for a few hours now. Thank you so much! Will check back later this pm.

For the Calcium citrate powder source from NOW brand, I found label noting 600 mg. 1 1/2 Tsp. and another 700 mg.

If you get a bottle with the higher amount (700 mg.) 1 1/2 Tsp. measure, the dose daily would be (1/2 Tsp. plus 1/32 Tsp.) divided in half given both AM andf PM. This comes to 1/4 Tsp.plus 1/64 Tsp.

If the label notes 600 mg. then the daily dose would be (1/2 Tsp. + 1/8 Tsp.) = 250 mg. elemental calcium. Split this dose in two (1/4 Tsp. + 1/16 Tsp.) give this amount AM and again PM.

Mix with pure water and organic naturally sweetened applesauce (no sugars (real or artificial) added). Pull up mixture into non needed plastic syringe.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SquirrelNanny Guest

♥️♥️♥️🐿 Thanks for giving me hope.

Answer a couple more questions: How long has he been like this, and has he pooped since he began showing symptoms?

SquirrelNanny Guest

I think I have seen some small dry poop. Not eating. Been like this since Sat. (Read original message?) Thank you!

SquirrelNanny Guest

Have to go babysit my nephew now. Will check back later this pm. Thank you everybody!

Try giving him pureed foods he has had in his diet recently. Be sure to boil the chopped vegetables before you puree them. as it make thecalcium in them bioavailable, and supports better digestion of them also.

If he will accept small chopped instead of pureed, then boil them in this tea strainer, as it makes it easy to do small amounts.

https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Infuser-S...g+tea+strainer

Baytril is a gut buster he needs a probiotic 2 hours
    before or after his dose. A little yogurt works.

I'd get him off the Metacam and because of his age
    and being neuro and start a round of prednisone. Has
    to be at least 48 hours after stopping Metacam before
    starting. It would also help with appetite.

He has to drink. If nothing else try some watered down
    sweet tea (not the diabetes causing kind) noticed your
    in Ga.

Sounds like he's had a good diet so just try to get
    him to eat anything you can he needs calories.

A heat source is also necessary.

Best wishes
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lilidukes from:

Diggie's Friend (01-02-2019)

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-cap.../dp/B005PJN2HO

This source is readily available on Amazon.com, 1/64 Tsp. added to food daily lends support to digestion, and also countering bad bacteria, which supports the well function of the gut.

Add this to plain organic yogurt, adyou have a good support to counter the negative effects of AB, as well as support maintenance of the intestinal tract.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.