Thread: Oakley @ 16 weeks

Default Oakley @ 16 weeks

Hello, In the past yall have helped me get my baby who I named Oakley to where he is today. I planed on relaesing him in the spring I am now thinking it is time. I am concerned about the weather since winter it not over yet. I am in Pensacola Fl. So far it has been a rainey mild one. January can be one of the coldest for us. My problem is that recently he has started to bite me. If I have food in my hand he will avoid it and just go for my hand and arm. I have been letting him out to run around as well as when I clean out his cage. Today I found in his cozy pocket a stash of nuts and high protien blocks 4 walnuts in their shell and 6 blocks. He only gets 2 blocks a day along with greens in the morning and in the evening I give him 2 nuts and 1 piece of fruit. He also has some pecan limbs to knaw on. I havent changed soaps or shampoos He has also been kept away from my other pets because of my plan to release him. How should I go about the release? Do you think it should be a sunny day rain seams to always be in the forcast. I want him to succeed out in the world.

Default Re: Oakley @ 16 weeks

Personally, I wouldn't release him now. Our coldest weather is ahead of us. One thing I would do is remove the nuts. They will get very aggressive when they have a stash of nuts. I would stop giving nuts all together. If they know a nut will be coming they will stop eating the blocks. It is very difficult overwintering a squirrel. They get a little psycho crazy. It's often necessary to completely stop out of cage time. Of course, they don't like it but they do survive. I have a 4 month old squirrel I got a couple weeks ago. I will keep her at least until March and I am much further south than you.

Some of the issues of release now are thin canopy of the trees. The canopy helps them evade predators. He also wouldn't have a nest unless you provide a nestbox.
    Usually, they have stashed food for the winter. I'm not sure about your area but we have a bumper crop of acorns so I assume food would be plentiful.

My personal feeling is that I have made it this far, why release now when conditions aren't optimal. By March, the weather usually changes quickly and release then gives them the best chance of survival. Yesterday, it was 83 here but I am well aware that our coldest temperatures can be in Jan and Feb. It's impossible to predict what is ahead as far as weather.

I would eliminate nuts. Don't give treats with your hand. Eliminate out of cage time if necessary. Wait 8 weeks and pray for spring. I know overwintering is difficult.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LAM4357 (12-30-2018), SammysMom (12-30-2018)

Default Re: Oakley @ 16 weeks

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try. The weather was my biggest concern. I only hope he will visit my backyard like the others squirrels do. I want him to have the best chance to survive.😁 🐿