Thread: What is this lump?

chefminnie Guest

Default What is this lump?

I started feeding the birds and of course our little furry friends come as well. I saw this little guy for the first time today. What could this open wound/lump be? How can I help. Although he uses his leg to scratch, it doesn't seem too be used much to walk on...he babies it and kind of carries it along. Please offer any help you can. He is eating all the sunflower seeds I throw him.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nk8Egf8MO-ngbYW9Q4fB2eB3IFMdMtKsD4E1q8PHVl0/edit?usp=sharing"]
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nk8Egf8MO-ngbYW9Q4fB2eB3IFMdMtKsD4E1q8PHVl0/edit?usp=sharing[/URL]

Default Re: What is this lump?

Link doesn't work for picture
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

chefminnie Guest

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

re-try to post google link with pictures

Bot fly warble which has abcessed, I think.....someone correct me if necessary because I have never actually gotten a squirrel with a bot fly.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

It sure does look like a big bot fly larvae - but it seems pretty late in the year for that in Illinois... You can see him first hand - does it look like there is a hole in the center of that, perhaps weeping fluid?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

island rehabber (12-29-2018)

It has the appearance of a bot fly larvae BUT I am 99% certain that it is not.
    A bot fly larvae in the dead of winter would be unheard of. Even in FL we haven't seen bot fly warbles for at least 2 months. By October there aren't any in Fl and we would definitely have them extending later in the year than IL.

I would say an abscess from a puncture, possible from a predator or even a BB. On the hind leg makes me lean towards predator as the little guy was fleeing. I hope it drains. I also hope there isn't a foreign body in the wound which would impede healing.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (12-29-2018), Nancy in New York (12-29-2018), SammysMom (12-29-2018), stepnstone (12-30-2018)

chefminnie Guest

Thank you so much. I will keep an eye out for this little guy. He ate a TON today so hopefully if I can make sure he is fed, healing will be faster. I have trapped a sick squirrel in the past, but not sure about doing it this time. I trapped one when I lived in Ohio and no nature center could take it...I DID finally find one and all worked out well though.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to chefminnie:

island rehabber (12-30-2018), Nancy in New York (12-29-2018), SammysMom (12-29-2018)

Thanks for caring chefminnie. I think that's the best plan for now. Providing food and water will take some of the pressure off of him as far as survival. Some easy, free handouts will allow him to eat, rest and heal. He won't have to compete with the other wilds and right now he doesn't need that while he isn't 100%.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (12-30-2018), Nancy in New York (12-29-2018), SammysMom (12-29-2018), stepnstone (12-30-2018)

chefminnie Guest

Wow! Today this little guy looks a lot better! He still has the furry swollen doughnut around the wound, but it seems a bit smaller. Also, the wound is not blood red as it was yesterday! He still scratches with that foot, and balances on it but does not use it to walk. He is eating well, seeds, walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds. Left the carrots and apples alone. I'll keep you posted--he has a bit of a challenge ahead still, but today was promising! Thanks again for your help!

Click the old link above to see a new picture today- kind of darker but the best I could do.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.