Thread: Entire tooth gone

Default Entire tooth gone

Just was getting Doodles out for a tooth trim and found that one of her entire upper incisors is gone. This is also the tooth that over the last several weeks had turned white. Will it grow back? Does this warrant antibiotics? It feels crusty at gumline, see pic.
    Name:  8E19594F-B68C-4717-9FE3-683282299CB9.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  82.1 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (12-22-2018)

Default Re: Entire tooth gone

Poor Doodles. Only time will tell if her tooth will regrow. I am not sure about ABs? If there is no real sign of infection then I might hold off but I don't have experience with thus issue.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Scooterzmom (12-22-2018), Snicker Bar (12-22-2018)

Ok , I’ll monitor it. Truth is maybe it would be good if it didn’t; one less to have to trim and risk odontoma stuff later
    She can’t use them ( sever malocclusion) anyway. We have to trim like every 5-7 days

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (12-22-2018)

It might be a good idea to get a head x-ray if possible. You would have a base line for later down the road. If it doesn't grow back it could be growing towards the root making an odontoma.

I think she is the one that stresses easily so an X-ray might not be possible.
    These crazy teeth issues with squirrels...

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Milo's Mom (12-23-2018), Snicker Bar (12-23-2018)

Good point I’ll take some X-rays . It had to have just happened last day or so. I just wasn’t sure if adult squirrel teeth could grow back. Baby Kanga had two missing teeth ( well, one bent and hanging thst just fell out when touched) and they grew back in perfect alignment. Iv’e found that if my husband sharpens those cutters on a wet stone every other week, we get neater ( less splits) results. I do hope this doesn’t cause her to get that tumor Her teeth and cockeyed jaw ( was all busted up when she came) are just awful. Wish could just pull them all and she could be like the Snaggamite; she has no teeth and does well it seems!
    Just got called in so I think I’ll take her (and husband !) along. I have NEVER x rayed a rodent so will see how this goes. I’ll post pics. I’m guessing side views are the best ?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

SammysMom (12-23-2018)

Side and top too I believe. Just gas her down a bit and snap those pics!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Snicker Bar (12-23-2018)

Will do but I’ll try just gently holding her while he works the machine. She’s so used to being wrapped and held for trimmings ; as long as there’s a piece of nut after she’s good. Dandies, on other hand would chainsaw me!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

SammysMom (12-23-2018)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Good point I’ll take some X-rays . It had to have just happened last day or so. I just wasn’t sure if adult squirrel teeth could grow back. Baby Kanga had two missing teeth ( well, one bent and hanging thst just fell out when touched) and they grew back in perfect alignment. Iv’e found that if my husband sharpens those cutters on a wet stone every other week, we get neater ( less splits) results. I do hope this doesn’t cause her to get that tumor Her teeth and cockeyed jaw ( was all busted up when she came) are just awful. Wish could just pull them all and she could be like the Snaggamite; she has no teeth and does well it seems!
    Just got called in so I think I’ll take her (and husband !) along. I have NEVER x rayed a rodent so will see how this goes. I’ll post pics. I’m guessing side views are the best ?
    If her teeth are that bad and require clipping that frequently it might be something for you to consider...having them all removed. And with them breaking off for some reason...I would seriously consider it.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Snicker Bar (12-23-2018)