Thread: UPDATE: 12-13 week old sudden illness

Default UPDATE: 12-13 week old sudden illness

Hello, I posted yesterday about the little girl’s sudden illness which I started treating as MBD for lack of any other leads. I mentioned what she’s eating, formula one a day, Zupreem primate block, 2-3 nuts, and a few veggies. She goes into the zoned out states where she just sits like this Name:  85A40E70-43D2-45AE-8B35-6E6C0048C68E.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  120.9 KB But then will wake up and act almost normally. She is still drinking water but not eating much. Also, weird diarrhea, was soft stools for a few days but today is just pooing a mucous like slime. Spent most of the day sleeping. I fear she may not make it but will try anything. Please help if you can.

Default Re: UPDATE: 12-13 week old sudden illness

I wish I had an answer but I really don't. Just a few suggestions.... I wouldn't give a 12-13 week old 3 nuts. I would only give one nut per day if even that. With the formula and Zupreem I doubt this is MBD but treating certainly won't hurt.

I wonder if the diarrhea is due to parasites. You could treat with Panacur or Albon. Albon would be for Coccidia and Panacur for other parasites. I would give Pedialyte with a syringe or homemade hydration fluid. If you buy the store bought Pedialyte try to get the type without flavoring. I bought those single use packets that are added to water. They were weird flavors and tasted awful.

Is there any chance you could get a parasite exam?

I would treat for a GI infection; Clavamox, Baytril or Cipro may help. Can you get, or do you have, any of those meds?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks guys for the help. I was wondering if it could be parasite or bacterial. I have one 500mg Cipro tablet so would like to start her on that. Can get her weight tomorrow.

Update: ok, gave her Cipro last night and this morning she seemed perkier. Drank 2 CCs of rehydration fluid and nibbled on rodent block. About 5 hours later there was a small amount of diarrhea—but a better consistency, a bit of solid instead of just yellow liquid—and she actually peed. Glad since that means she processed the rehydration drink from this morning, didn’t just poo it out. She then eagerly drank 3.5-4 CCs of the rehydration fluid. Def not out of the woods, but glad that she’s feeling a bit better. Question, should I give her anything to help prevent diarrhea?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JMoe:

island rehabber (12-21-2018), SammysMom (12-21-2018)

I would give it a day or so and see if it corrects.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

island rehabber (12-21-2018), Nancy in New York (12-21-2018), stepnstone (12-21-2018)

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

JMoe (12-24-2018)

Hey guys! Little Sissy Squirrel is MUCH better. Poo is still soft and wetter then normal BUT vast improvement. Solid for the most part. What really seemed to turn things around was introducing the rehydration fluid, she sucked it down like crazy. She was not interested in her block and we were too scared to feed her anything else. She hasnt been into formula lately and would only take a few sips. My boyfriend tried mixing it with the rehydration water and she sucked it down like a six week old. We fed her this twice a day for two days just to get her back on track. This morning he made it with regular water and she drank most of it. Think we can try veggies again?

Best of all she is back to her old, destructive, exploring self. Here she is zonked-out—not dead 😁 yesterday. SO thankful to have her back. She’s my tiny, ant-bitten pinky who has been no end of stress and enjoyment. Name:  C6B09986-5534-443C-A881-2964967FDF4D.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  137.4 KB

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JMoe:

Grinderhead (12-24-2018), island rehabber (12-24-2018), Nancy in New York (12-24-2018)