Thread: September Baby - Teeth and nose bleed

Default September Baby - Teeth and nose bleed

So my mom and I found roughly a 2 week old squirrel in the beginning of September and he's been great up until today. He started acting funny this morning. He wasn't as playful and a little sniffling. He then had blood coming from his mouth and leaving some here and there in his cage. Then we found one of his top teeth on top of his house. He's eating softer foods and he's perked up a little bit. That was 3 days ago. Now he has a bloody nose. I know we need to trim the bottom teeth to protect the top palate. (After we saw he lost one top, we trimmed the other top one.) Is there anything we can give him for antibiotics and pain? What should our next step be? Thanks in advance.

(Created post for new member andi&becky - Spanky)

Default Re: September Baby - Teeth and nose bleed

You will need to get a weight on him for dosing any meds; they are all dosed by weight.

Infant's Ibuprofen is what I would suggest, but do not give any until we know the weight and someone doses it for you. A weight can usually be accomplished with a digital kitchen scale.

Can you post a picture of his mouth? That always tells a thousand words...

I worry it may be diet related... does he get rodent block and / or formula routinely?

Did the little guy take a fall by chance?

andi&becky Guest

He weighs 691 grams. we give him the nut bars from Henry's but he hasn't wantwd that since he lost his teeth. He usually like avocado, apples, squash, and other fruits and vegetables we got off of here. To our knowledge, there was no fall, but he has a big and tall cage with tons of hanging toys and houses so it's possible. Working on getting a pic of Mose's mouth. I'll post it once we get it.

QUOTE]You will need to get a weight on him for dosing any meds; they are all dosed by weight.

Infant's Ibuprofen is what I would suggest, but do not give any until we know the weight and someone doses it for you. A weight can usually be accomplished with a digital kitchen scale.

Can you post a picture of his mouth? That always tells a thousand words...

I worry it may be diet related... does he get rodent block and / or formula routinely?

Did the little guy take a fall by chance?
    [/QUOTE]

andi&becky Guest

Name:  IMG_20181218_164205_01.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  60.3 KB
    Less bleeding but there's dried blood

andi&becky Guest

Name:  IMG_20181024_193149.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  103.1 KB

He's usually a happy guy. We had a little pumpkin fun at Halloween.

[QUOTE=andi&becky;1283626]He weighs 691 grams. we give him the nut bars from Henry's but he hasn't wanted that since he lost his teeth. He usually like avocado, apples, squash, and other fruits and vegetables we got off of here. To our knowledge, there was no fall, but he has a big and tall cage with tons of hanging toys and houses so it's possible. Working on getting a pic of Mose's mouth. I'll post it once we get it. [QUOTE]

I will send you Infant Ibuprofen Dosing for 691 gram squirrel.

This is a baby from Sept 2019? Their teeth are not usually that orange at this age; strange. Hopefully others will chime in...

Those lower teeth do need a trim.

When you say Henry's Nut Bar's, do you mean the Henry Healthy Blocks or those peanut sticks they also sell?

I would try to give him formula (Esbilac Puppy Formula) if he is not eating the Henry's: He cannot get proper nutrition form veggies and fruits alone.

andi&becky Guest

He eats the Henry's picky eaters bar up until all this started. Thank you so so so much for your help.

I will send you Infant Ibuprofen Dosing for 691 gram squirrel.

This is a baby from Sept 2019? Their teeth are not usually that orange at this age; strange. Hopefully others will chime in...

Those lower teeth do need a trim.

When you say Henry's Nut Bar's, do you mean the Henry Healthy Blocks or those peanut sticks they also sell?

I would try to give him formula (Esbilac Puppy Formula) if he is not eating the Henry's: He cannot get proper nutrition form veggies and fruits alone.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pictures. That helps a lot. When Spanky was asking about your sweet boy taking a fall, he meant as a baby. When you found him at 2 weeks old did he have a bloody nose. These babies have such big heads that they often land on their heads or nose. That can set them up later in life with teeth that are not properly aligned. It is called malocclusion. The top two front teeth and bottom two teeth should meet and there for they are used to chew and open nuts and wear down. When they don’t, you see what happens. Your boy’s bottom teeth are piercing his top palate. They need to be cut. You cut the top teeth. Are you ok to cut the bottom teeth?

This squirrel must not be released. His teeth have to be cut every few weeks. Please ask us anything. Let us know how we can help.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

island rehabber (12-19-2018)

andi&becky Guest

When we found him on September 2nd, he had fallen out of the tree on to sidewalk. We moved him next to the tree and waited to see if his mom would come back for him and she never did. He just became apart of our little family. Im in the process of moving so my mom's been taking care of him. She's going to try to get the bottom teeth trimmed tomorrow. Is there any good method you recommend?

andi&becky Guest

Name:  Snapchat-241439218.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  82.1 KB

He had to have been less than 2 weeks old. He was not in good shape. But this pic was from the 1st night we got him.

Quote Originally Posted by andi&becky View Post
    Name:  Snapchat-241439218.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  82.1 KB

He had to have been less than 2 weeks old. He was not in good shape. But this pic was from the 1st night we got him.
    What was going on with him. Was he injured by the fall? His body weight looks terrific. What formula did you feed him as an infant?

I would put his age closer to 3-3.5 weeks. How long after you got him did he open his eyes? It looks like he is open mouth breathing in the picture. Was his nose and/or mouth bloody?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

andi&becky Guest

He didn't open his eyes for like 4 weeks after that. He weighed 55 grams. There was no blood.