Thread: Need Help! Constipation

lovelygirl01 Guest

Default Need Help! Constipation

Hi all,

Recently my squirrel having trouble in pooping. Whenever she trying to poop, she will make noise and take some time to poop out. This happened after I giving her calcium carbonate powder. As i find out that her back legs look weak and have some MBD symptom. The amount that I feed her is 1/2 teaspoon. I started feed her last Tues and stop on Sun right after find out she have difficult in pooping. What can I do now? I have stop giving her calcium powder and give her papaya,apple juice, sweet potato, and some water to reduce her constipation. But still not work for her, today she still have trouble in pooping. Please help.

My squirrel type is 'Plantain squirrel' or scientific name is 'Callosciurus notatus', and her age is 3 years old.

Default Re: Need Help! Constipation

Keep hydrating with water as much as she will take to try and flush her system.
    Prune juice may be a better alternative then the apple juice to get her moving.

Can you handle this squirrel to give her a warm water soak?
    If so, holding her upright place her in a container of warm water up to her chest
    area and massage her downward on both sides at least 10-15 minutes. This can
    help relax the muscles to help her void.

What color are her bowels when she has passed any?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

lovelygirl01 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Keep hydrating with water as much as she will take to try and flush her system.
    Prune juice may be a better alternative then the apple juice to get her moving.

Can you handle this squirrel to give her a warm water soak?
    If so, holding her upright place her in a container of warm water up to her chest
    area and massage her downward on both sides at least 10-15 minutes. This can
    help relax the muscles to help her void.

What color are her bowels when she has passed any?
    Thanks for your advice and sorry for late reply. As I have problem to log in to TBS so I didn't know about your reply. My little squirrel constipation have been cured after i give her little squash and apple juice. Feel relief. Btw I get advice from Henry's website about the proper amount of MBD and I also start feeding her. I just want to ask will the calcium powder caused my squirrel fur to fall. As recently when I pat her, some of her hair is left on my hands.

No, but several times a year they will molt out hair as it is being replaced with new. For example, here in the US, in the fall as the weather begins to start to cool down, they molt out their light summer coats which is replaced with thicker, longer hair for winter. Every fall I spend a week or so spitting out squirrel hairs and picking them off of everything because of this.

May I ask how many milligrams of calcium there are in the 1/2 teaspoon of powder you are using?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.