Thread: Sebastian has gone crazy. HELP ME!

Default Sebastian has gone crazy. HELP ME!

My little man is about a year old. He was found on the ground after a hurricane. His eyes were closed and he had no hair. He was raised with dogs and cats on a bottle. He now lives with me. He has lived with me for just under a year. He is just over a year old. He has always been well behaved. Very mannered animal. He listened when I said no. He listened when told to go home(his cage). Out of no where he has decided to act absolutely nuts when let out. He scratches and even nibbles if he doesn’t get his way. I’m confused. I know this is probably more typical squirrel behavior, but where did it come from? Why is it all of a sudden? He has no natural fear of other creatures. I fear he can’t be released, but this new behavior frightens me a little bit. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? If there something I can do to calm him.

He is used to getting his nails trimmed and even an occasion sink bath. He has always been good during these things and suddenly he’s not himself.

Default Re: Sebastian has gone crazy. HELP ME!

It appears that Sebastian has begun the "WILDING-UP" syndrome. Many squees are calm and friendly until the 10 to 12 month window. Sometimes it is a phase, and they return to a gentle friend, but it can proceed to serious biting. Hands, arms and even face bites are common. If you have other family members they need to be aware that an attack can come UN-PROVOKED. Just coming into the room is enough to cause a situation.
    Also your other animals may be attacked and a dog or cat may do serous injury to a smaller squirrel. I hope all goes well but being aware may prevent some injury to you and your family.
    GOOD LUCK.

First thing to check is his nest box and cage for hidden nuts. They get super protective of their secret stash. Be sure he doesn't see you while you are looking or he will react....

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

gunpackingrandma (12-20-2018), island rehabber (12-17-2018)

So there’s really nothing I can do but wait?
    He’s not hiding anything. The only different food behavior I’ve noticed is him taking it from his dish and throwing it on the floor of the cage then eating it
    I was told if I would have him neutered this would stop. Is this a possibility?

Think of this as puberty. He is a little late, actually - mine all lost their freaking minds and became like whirling chainsaws at about 10 months. In both cases it was more incidental damage from nails than anything aggressive like biting, but I have a couple facial scars that are permanent. It lasts for some months the first time - I think that the boys have a boatload of testosterone suddenly hit their system at one time. In the two cases I have experience with, I will say that it does finally subside and if you have gutted it out and suited up in armor and continues to play with and interact through the bad times, you will eventually get a nice boy back. Am I correct in that he is NR?

What does NR mean?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ94 View Post
    What does NR mean?
    I think that NR means "not releasable"

Oh! Sorry, I don’t believe he is. He’s too comfortable. He knows to ask me for food not to look for it. He loves my dogs. He acts more like a dog.

I had to find a wildlife rehabilator because when my boy, Skeeter reached puberty he attacked me twice...really bad. I did not trust him anymore. Luckily I found a great place for him where he will be able to be released in the spring. It broke my heart as I had him for 7 months and he was such a great pet, but it was not his fault that his hormones took over. I was so attached to him, but knew the right thing to do was to let him go. I volunteer at the facility that he is at and he is in good hands. They say that squirrels do not make great pets.....he was before his hormones took over.....I hope this helps.

He doesn’t hurt me. He just fights me. He’s not as calm as he was and doesn’t listen anymore. He’s never tried to hurt me though. Even the minor biting he has done was nibbling.

So there’s really nothing I can do but wait?
    He’s not hiding anything. The only different food behavior I’ve noticed is him taking it from his dish and throwing it on the floor of the cage then eating it
    I was told if I would have him neutered this would stop. Is this a possibility?
    I was told that neutering them may help a little bit.....does he make any ticking/chattering noises???

Yes! Every time he starts his squirming around when I’m trying to do something with him he makes that noise.

I’ve highly considered the neutering, but I don’t where to begin with having that done. My vet told me he was afraid to put him to sleep.

I’ve highly considered the neutering, but I don’t where to begin with having that done. My vet told me he was afraid to put him to sleep.
    I suggest you contact a wildlife rehabilator in your area.....they would be your best bet...and if need be, they usually have vets that they work with..

My fear is losing him. I don’t want him taken away from me. Also, we don’t have wildlife rehabilitation services near me. All are over an hour away.

I wish i could be of more help.....i know how attached we get...they are such amazing animals...i just know first hand how the male squirrels change once they mature.....it stinks...it really does....i miss my boy...i feel your pain

Neutering is not thought to be terribly effective at changing his normal behavior.

1) The first thing to do is to clean out any food caches that he has stored away. They are VERY protective and don't like anyone near where they have hidden food. Don't let him see you dong this.

2) Teeth chattering is a serious warning. That is his way of telling you that he is about to bite.

3) This type of behavior is very common and can be considered normal. He is becoming an adult and he is a wild animal. Squirrels make terrible pets.

How is his diet? If not good, he might be experiencing pain due to the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease and that might make him short tempered?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (12-18-2018)

A study in bone density in neutered male rats showed that neutering early resulted in lowering testosterone, the sex hormone that plays a key wrote in calcium uptake and reaching full bone density some months after reaching sexual maturity, thus resulting in poor bone density lending to the development of MBD in early life. Sadly we lost our boy having been told to neuter him at 6 mo., he passing at just 2 years of age from what appeared to be a sickness that resulted in him not eating, which likely involved MBD. In mirroring the timeline, the estimate for male squirrels reaching full bone density following sexual maturity ranges from 18 to 24 months of age.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Neutering is not thought to be terribly effective at changing his normal behavior.

1) The first thing to do is to clean out any food caches that he has stored away. They are VERY protective and don't like anyone near where they have hidden food. Don't let him see you dong this.

2) Teeth chattering is a serious warning. That is his way of telling you that he is about to bite.

3) This type of behavior is very common and can be considered normal. He is becoming an adult and he is a wild animal. Squirrels make terrible pets.

How is his diet? If not good, he might be experiencing pain due to the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease and that might make him short tempered?
    I know first hand about teeth chattering/ticking.... and yes they are nice when they are young, but like you stated, they are wild animals and do not make great pets...