Thread: Alli Seizures (Ear?)

Default Alli Seizures (Ear?)

Just put barely warm sweet oil in my babies ear to try ANYTHING else!! 2 years and 9 drops and no better. Soon as I put drops in she went into a full seizure. I have no idea wt heck is going on. Vet has tried everything. Anyone else have any ideas? Seizures with ear problems for 2 years no relief. Has seizures about every 2 weeks. Have been posting here on this situation for a while now. Had xrays ect done at drs.

Default Re: Alli Seizures (Ear?)

I’ve probably missed your previous posts; you e probably already started medications for seizures... But if not; until the underlying cause is found, I would maybe consider an antiepileptic such as Keppra, to at least keep the seizures under control as best can. Frequent seizures can lead to brain damage. Once every two weeks may not be very often... but they could be happening more than you realize ( when gone, at night etc). I lost my sweet girl to seizures, even while she was on medication.
    Has the vet already definitely diagnosed a severe ear infection ? And ruled out other metabolic causes? Also just saying, x rays can miss some things ( tiny mass on brain for ex) . But like said , medication can at least help minimize the frequency of seizure activity, and the risks of further damage to her brain. I have the dosages of Keppra given to me per Dr. Emerson, if you would like them.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Crystal (12-15-2018), Diggie's Friend (12-15-2018), HRT4SQRLS (12-15-2018)

Crystal, Snicker Bar has experience with seizures so this is something to consider. I will add that seizures are not typical in ear infections. I know we probably discussed this in the past but I assume that the diet has been ruled out as a cause of the seizures. If I remember correctly we also talked about the fluoroquinolne antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin and Baytril actually causing seizures. With that said, I know you are desperate for a solution and trying antibiotics in the class might be worth the risk BUT I know you HAVE tried them without success.

As far as the ears, it is very common that these deep seated infections can NOT be cured with antibiotics. Drops won't go deep enough because the infection is in the middle ear behind the ear dumb. I know this will sound extreme and you are right... IT IS but sometimes the only cure is a surgical procedure of the ear. Dr. Emerson in FL does this surgery. It involves opening the ear canal through the side of the head and physically cleaning out the trapped pus and necrotic tissue. I know of several squirrels that have had this surgery. This surgery is also done on dogs. Of course, not just any vet can do this procedure on a squirrel. I would only consider a vet experienced in the procedure in very small mammals. Unfortunately, it's the only cure. IF this procedure fails the next step would be removing the entire ear canal.

Ana, lennysmom's girl had the procedure. It was a difficult recovery but I think she is doing well now. You might want to contact her directly through Private Message to get her input about the procedure.

I know you have done everything possible to help your baby and I'm so sorry that you are both still struggling with it.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Crystal (12-15-2018), lennysmom (12-16-2018), Snicker Bar (12-15-2018)

Her Dr has not put her on seizure meds just vitamin supplements. I am thinking surgery as well. No Drs close to where I am but I would go anywhere for my baby. Ana has been precious to talk to me about her baby as well.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Crystal:

HRT4SQRLS (12-15-2018), Snicker Bar (12-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Her Dr has not put her on seizure meds just vitamin supplements. I am thinking surgery as well. No Drs close to where I am but I would go anywhere for my baby. Ana has been precious to talk to me about her baby as well.
    I'm so glad that you've spoken with Lindsay. She is a real treasure on this board. I can only speak theoretically because I have not been in this situation. Lindsay has walked the same path you are on with Ana so her advise is golden.... been there, done that. Good luck to you with your baby.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Crystal (12-15-2018), lennysmom (12-16-2018), Nancy in New York (12-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I'm so glad that you've spoken with Lindsay. She is a real treasure on this board. I can only speak theoretically because I have not been in this situation. Lindsay has walked the same path you are on with Ana so her advise is golden.... been there, done that. Good luck to you with your baby.
    Yes she is! I am pretty sure we will have to get surgery to fix this issue. I keep hoping for a miracle but I can't watch my baby suffer anymore.

Crystal, I’m sorry to hear your little one is still suffering so much with her ears. I highly recommend that you get in touch with Dr. E soon about it. I will tell you that I was able to get some x-rays with my vet here based on her instructions that helped her to determine that inner ear infections were what my little Ana sufferered with for so long. I didn’t want to put her through the stress of making that long trip unless I knew for sure that’s what she needed. But it was well worth the trip to see my baby finally get some relief. I’m still praying for your little girly and that Dr. E can help.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Crystal (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Crystal, I’m sorry to hear your little one is still suffering so much with her ears. I highly recommend that you get in touch with Dr. E soon about it. I will tell you that I was able to get some x-rays with my vet here based on her instructions that helped her to determine that inner ear infections were what my little Ana sufferered with for so long. I didn’t want to put her through the stress of making that long trip unless I knew for sure that’s what she needed. But it was well worth the trip to see my baby finally get some relief. I’m still praying for your little girly and that Dr. E can help.
    Unfortunately I have had xrays done and was told the infection was not behind the ear but yet still can't fix it. Ugh.