Thread: How do you give a squirrel a bath?

Sporktastic Guest

Thumbs down How do you give a squirrel a bath?

My mum found 3 little squirrels on the side of the rode last night. So we've taken them in until the rehab place thingy calls us back. But they've got little icky things on them and we need to know how to give them a bath. Help please?

If you can help me, email me at xDuctTapeXoX@yahoo.com.

Please and thank you ^_^

Default Re: How do you give a squirrel a bath?

squirrels are not used to submersion, so this will be a little tricky. hopefully they are young enough that they won't struggle much. i suggest you get a wide mug or a small bowl with steep sides. fill it with water that is warm, not hot. basically, it'll be like a mini jacuzzi. if you have very basic antibacterial soap, you can put a small amount in the water, but not too much. from then on, it's just a basic rub and wash.

if you need to wash their heads, don't pour the water on them; wet a hand towel and try to wipe it clean. avoid their eyes and mouths.

could you give us more information on the squirrels? are their eyes open? do they have fur? how big are they? this will help us determine what else you should do, such as feeding, warmth, shelter, etc..

i'm gonna email this to you too, just in case it's faster.
    keep us updated.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

I would guess you are seeing lice.

Here's a good thread on what to do for treatment.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293

Sporktastic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    squirrels are not used to submersion, so this will be a little tricky. hopefully they are young enough that they won't struggle much. i suggest you get a wide mug or a small bowl with steep sides. fill it with water that is warm, not hot. basically, it'll be like a mini jacuzzi. if you have very basic antibacterial soap, you can put a small amount in the water, but not too much. from then on, it's just a basic rub and wash.

if you need to wash their heads, don't pour the water on them; wet a hand towel and try to wipe it clean. avoid their eyes and mouths.

could you give us more information on the squirrels? are their eyes open? do they have fur? how big are they? this will help us determine what else you should do, such as feeding, warmth, shelter, etc..

i'm gonna email this to you too, just in case it's faster.
    keep us updated.
    Yes their eyes are opened, and they have fur. We think their about 5 weeks old. And theres 3 of them. 2 male and 1 female.

How do we get rid of mites?

By opening this link and reading the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordandDaisy'sDad
    I would guess you are seeing lice.

Here's a good thread on what to do for treatment.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293

Sporktastic Guest

Ok, thanks.

Is there anything that works that is kinda cheap? My familys on a budget and we don't have alot to spend =/

Spork, Kitten flea powder is not expensive at all. Just be sure it says for kittens. I think it's Petco or one of those big chains that even has one that says for rabbits, etc. and also Kittens.

Sporktastic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordandDaisy'sDad
    Spork, Kitten flea powder is not expensive at all. Just be sure it says for kittens. I think it's Petco or one of those big chains that even has one that says for rabbits, etc. and also Kittens.
    Ok ^_^

Don't get it in his mouth, eyes, ears, etc.

A cotton ball works great for putting it on and you can control it better that way.

and since you asked, this is how you give a squirrel a bath. But she better be tame and trust you 100% before you do!

Sporktastic Guest

Ok, well I gave them a bath.

It wasn't all that hard. Pooky and ButterNutter were easy, but when I got to Micheal something (The bigger boy) he scratched the hell out of my arms and hands.

MyBackyard Guest

Thank you for taking care of your squirrelly guests!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporktastic
    Micheal something (The bigger boy) he scratched the hell out of my arms and hands.

CaDD, i hope you're not serious. they're wild squirrels, they need their claws, and they need to learn how to use them as they grow.

do NOT cut their nails!
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Yes I'm serious. No one is talking about cutting their nails completely off, just trimming them.Out in the wild they wear their nails off, in a cage they do not. If you don't cut them, they can overgrow and get hung on even just the wire. Squirrels can pull them out, not only losing a nail, but they could bleed to death.

Plus, they were just given a bath and flea powder. How "wild" is that? LOL

I hope you're not serious?

Rockysmom Guest

My Rocky doesn't mind water at all ! about every other day he gets rinsed quickly under the sink in warm water. He gets milk all over his belly so I just hold him under the focet making sure his face doesn't get wet, and he is cool with that. then I take a towel and dry him off best I can and put him in his cage. It is real hot this time of year and he dries off quickly. I don't use any soap just water, he also likes to roll and run through dirt or cleaned out cat litter box (he is a ground squirrel)which actually doesn't make him dirty.

I have never had any trouble cutting anyones nails, cats, dogs, goats, rats etc. I have even had friends who were terrified to cut their newborn babies nails and I would do it for them. Just make sure you cut where it is still white. Best time is while they are sleep. Rocky sleeps through anything, even the valcumn cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.