Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help seizures. Idk.

Default Help seizures. Idk.

So Sebastian is in my arms and almost like seizing. Uncontrollable spasms. Coherent in between. What do I do. What is going on here. Help please. I am freaking out

Default Re: Help seizures. Idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    So Sebastian is in my arms and almost like seizing. Uncontrollable spasms. Coherent in between. What do I do. What is going on here. Help please. I am freaking out
    Rub some molasses or whatever type sweet syrup you may have
    on his gums to raise his sugar levels.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jeltje (12-14-2018)

Ok so it ended. So you know how when you pet them under the chin or their fave spot they kind of freeze. Well I was rubbing his belly and neck. Then it started. Horrible spasms. One side of body then the other. Lasted about 2 minutes. He is a para and has been having spasms and nerve twitching in his legs and tail, that have gotten pretty bad. I can feel the nerve activity when I hold him. He started on gabapentin (dosed on TSB) had it today. Ordered CBD. Sorry for the rambling, he is in one hand and I am frantic.

I just ran out of honey. Can I use preserves, brown sugar?

Gave him maple syrup. He also drank water. I am so afraid of this. What do you think is going on?

Anything you have will be fine. Syrup, etc.

How long after the gabapentin did this start? It could be a side effect. If so, I wouldn't use it again.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (12-14-2018), Jeltje (12-14-2018), Nancy in New York (12-15-2018), stepnstone (12-14-2018), TubeDriver (12-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Ok so it ended. So you know how when you pet them under the chin or their fave spot they kind of freeze. Well I was rubbing his belly and neck. Then it started. Horrible spasms. One side of body then the other. Lasted about 2 minutes. He is a para and has been having spasms and nerve twitching in his legs and tail, that have gotten pretty bad. I can feel the nerve activity when I hold him. He started on gabapentin (dosed on TSB) had it today. Ordered CBD. Sorry for the rambling, he is in one hand and I am frantic.
    Seizure activity lowers their sugar level, I would still rub some molasses on his gums to bring it up.
    Hopefully someone with a para baby with similar experience will reply and be able to offer you some
    insight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (12-14-2018), Jeltje (12-14-2018)

I gave last night which was first time and he was fine. About an hour after I gave today. He was fine but wanted me to hold him, so I was rubbing his head and belly and it started. It was terrible. He is sleeping now. In my arms of course. I will not give again. Does it sound like it was a seizure?

Thank you stepnstone!!!I rubbed maple syrup.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jeltje:

Diggie's Friend (12-14-2018), stepnstone (12-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Anything you have will be fine. Syrup, etc.
    How long after the gabapentin did this start? It could be a side effect. If so, I wouldn't use it again.
    Good point HRT.

Also, you want to rub the syrup on his gums, not "feed" the syrup.
    Rubbing the syrup on his gums gets it to the blood stream faster
    then sending it through the digestive system.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Yes, I did both.was afraid he didn’t get enough so gave him a bit in his mouth as well. I was so scared. Thanks for the very fast response!💜

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jeltje from:

stepnstone (12-14-2018)

I read that seizures can be triggered by even scratching under the arm of a pet.

Freeze seizures are also real seizures.

http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/seizures.php

This article is about various forms of seizures, it is in dogs, not rodents, but they are much the same.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...s_convulsions#

From what you described it sounds like your squirrel had a grand mal seizure.

Organic Maple syrup I believe is a very pure source; yet very true that any concentrated sugar source will do for this situation.

Magnesium is also anti-seizure, anti-convulsive; Magnesium Taurate is closest to the source used in a study in rats to inhibit seizures.

It's worth a try.

https://vitalbiologics.com/products/...taurate-powder

(1 scoop = 62.5) ; (one half scoop = 31.25 mg.) ;

(one-quarter scoop = 15.6 mg.) target supplement total.

Begin by adding half of one quarter scoop daily, and work up to a full one-quarter scoop split fed AM & PM over 12 days.

Should loose stool occur back down the measure by a small fraction and wait to see if the stool firms up well.

Adding the magnesium to organic yogurt is one of the best way to deliver this supplement in the diet.

Add to (1 Tsp.) of plain organic yogurt (Stonyfield a good choice, even so there are others) is also a good nutritional source to include in the diet.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

gunpackingrandma (12-20-2018), Jeltje (12-15-2018)

Thank you for this info! I had no idea! He often get that freeze. Oh my poor baby! As of yesterday I have given instructions that he is only to be pet in the places that DO NOT promote “the freeze.” I am going to go purchase some magnesium. I have also ordered a CBD tincture for him. A GRAND MAL seizure! Ugh.��
    So since that episode, he has been experiencing many smaller seizures. I was comforting him last night and he fell asleep very comfortably. However, during his sleep he had many episodes. I am so worried about this. I was thinking about benzos. I know they help humans. Has anyone ever tried this? Curious if they can be used in the interim to limit these seizures?
    Last edited by Jeltje; 12-15-2018 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typo

Actually, it would be good to have benzos on hand for an emergency. Benzos don't treat seizures but they can stop them in an emergency. In a situation where the seizures are clustered and can't be stopped, it is a medical emergency. I have a friend that had a squirrel (under a year old) that had seizures. He was on meds to control them but they still were not stable. One night he began seizing non-stop. She rushed him to a specialty emergency vet. They tried everything without success and it appeared a decision would have to be made regarding continued effort. She went in to see him and he died in her arms. It was that experience that made me realize how dangerous they can be. Of course, not all seizures ramp up to that extreme but it would be good to have meds on hand in case of an emergency.

I believe there is a benzo gel (Diazepam) that is given rectally in dogs. You might ask your vet about that. Snicker Bar, have you ever used the rectal benzo gel for seizures in dogs?

As DiggiesFriend mentioned there are triggers that can prompt a seizure in those that are prone to them. I have a flyer that had seizures when he was young. His trigger was light so he retreated to his cube when the light was on in his room. As a nocturnal creature, the light was enough to initiate a seizure. When I realized this I stopped turning the light on his room at night. The room has indirect light from an adjacent room. Just by controlling the trigger, it was enough to stop his seizures. He has only had 2 in the last 6 years and that was due to a stressful event when my other flyer got in his cage and stressed him.
    Some other triggers are loud noises and anything that stresses them.

I just wanted to throw this out there. Sebastian is getting adequate calcium in the diet right? Also, you are limiting the nuts? Low calcium as in MBD can cause seizures so make sure that's not a factor.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (12-15-2018), Jeltje (12-15-2018), stepnstone (12-15-2018)

I have worried about MBD since reading about it isn’t he beginning. I do not give nuts on a regular basis. He has recently stopped eating his HHB, so I have been feeding him his formula 2 times a day. He does not want me to, but he knows that he has no choice. I have tried boo balls. He just doesn’t want them. Eats a little then hides them. I have ordered the HHB for picky eaters. The only things he is excited for are kale, radicchio, . He will eat Brussels, sweet pot. I give him a piece of fruit daily. I would like to just do calcium (mbd treatment) in case. Is that a good idea?
    ***this all started happening in his legs, I am thinking muscle spasms. He wasn’t bothered at first, but they have gotten worse. He began to chew. I then started to gently massage the leg muscles and stretch those little legs out. (He started out with them dragging behind him limp, then they tightened up, not as bad as Milagro’s but similar). This poor baby. He has had a rough start. I just love him so much. I will do/ try anything. Thank you for your help💜🐿☮️

**reading about it in the beginning**

You can give him a brief MBD treatment to see if anything improves. It will not hurt him even if that's not the problem. If he is taking formula I doubt low calcium is the problem but a little extra calcium might be good for him. I would cut the recommended dose in half and give him small doses. I sometimes give my boys extra calcium carbonate on their avocado. Remember, don't stress him or he could seize.

I think you will find that he likes the Picky Eater block much better. It's the only block my flyers will eat. To make it extra 'good', try warming in the microwave for about 4-5 seconds. Give it to him before the other foods. I'm glad you are limiting the nuts. They can have a few for treats but they really do need to be limited. Try giving him an in shell nut. Chewing through the shell will file the teeth and he has to work for a treat.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Jeltje (12-15-2018)

I agree, MBD treatment as described by HRTSSQRLS, appears to be merited. I would include some magnesium with it, as to not unintentionally support hypertension occurring from raising calcium. Calcium in the brain is what is known to cause excitement, magnesium calm.

Magnesium Taurate is available in capsule form also at your local vitamin supplement store.

https://www.pureformulas.com/magnesi...mulations.html

125 mg. in one capsule, add 1/16 of the powdered contents of this capsule source, for each dose of 100 given daily in the MBD treatment. It is really a small amount compared to 500 mg. in ratio. Reduce the magnesium as you reduce the level of calcium dose.

You may want to consider using Calcium citrate, it stays in the blood longer. It is a bit greater in volume, yet it isn't significant when giving this treatment. Frontier Naturals carries a pure source of this in a 1b. bulk package.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Calc.../dp/B000UYA1T6
    Last edited by island rehabber; 12-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Jeltje (12-15-2018)

For reduced dose for MBD of 250 mg. elemental calcium daily:

(1/16 Tsp. + 1/64 Tsp.) of the Calcium citrate from Frontier Naturals given in a sub-dose of 50 mg. five times daily.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Jeltje (12-15-2018)

WILL DO ALL OF THE ABOVE! I truly love you guys.💜😇Thank you for the great advice and support. Will let you know of any changes. Enroute to vitamin shop🙂 💜🐿☮️Patricia

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jeltje from:

Diggie's Friend (12-15-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast