Thread: Sunlight Updates?

Default Sunlight Updates?

Have there been any new studies discussed at some of the conferences people attend here, regarding the sunlight needed for squirrels? I’ve heard that if they eat the HHb this isn’t a problem. I am here at PetSmart prepared to get some bulbs for my two full time ( for now until off - road “skutes” are nearly completed &#128522 Indoor paralytic babies. But just verifying before purchasing. And if we do need bulbs , how many hours per day? They can have a window opened a few times a week, temperatures permitting. But donactual “sun rays “ have to be beaming in, or is just the light ( even if Cousy) sufficient? These two babies do NOT like the Henry’s 😑. But they do get a partial portion in the form of Boo balls . My order for HT hasn’t come yet, but I’m sure they will eat these ( from prior samples given). If bulbs are NOT mandatory, will HT boo balls made with the Henry’s vitamins be sufficient?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (12-13-2018)

Default Re: Sunlight Updates?

edit ... even if CLOUDY, not Cousy

What they need is the UV from sunlight. Anything between them and the sun - screens, window glass - all cuts the UV - it is designed to - UV is what fades your furniture. So even sunlight blasting through a window is not going to do the trick.

You need REPTILE lights. They are marketed as "UV Lights". Anything called "full spectrum" is totally useless - the words refer to the color of the light - the appearance to our eyes. They do not emit UV. There are companies out there that have been selling these into the pet trade for years (looking at YOU, Ott) and they do nothing but illuminate.

I have a huge enclosure which is lit with three 2 light 4 foot fluorescent fixtures. 2 of the 6 lamps are Zoomed 10.0 UV lamps. They are also available as the twisty compact fluorescents, but your best bang for the buck is the long tube type.

If you don't want to spend literally twice what you need to, run from Petco, Petsmart and any other brick and mortar pet stores. I have been buying these for years and believe me I have SEARCHED, and the best pricing by far is from Pet Mountain (www.petmountain.com). They have a ton of sizes and types.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (12-14-2018), Snicker Bar (12-14-2018)

Thank you ; I was buying some wax worms, and remembering I may need lights if they can’t get out much, yet...But prototype squirrel room skutes are in the works But still a bit chilly most days for that just yet.
    Name:  554EC40C-4B98-431E-B1DC-C627A6C77465.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  107.0 KB
    Victoria
    This is the pattern we’re trying out! Just need slicker stuff that will protect and not get hung on branches.

Thank you for your the link , I’ll get them fixed up. I’ve been allowing them playtime in our back bath where we can safely open a window without screen. But I worry I’m not meeting a minimum weekly requirement, if we even know if there is one?
    Better not to risk with their already weak rear ends . But you’d never know it! They don’t know it !
    Honeysuckle
    Name:  49A03A74-C313-4ACD-99BA-18599F19BA65.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  197.5 KB
    Honeysuckle