Thread: Baby with partial paralysis, not responding to calcium treatment

SweetChippysMom Guest

Default Baby with partial paralysis, not responding to calcium treatment

My baby Chippy suddenly was dragging his hind end one day. He seemed fine in the morning. I Google his symptoms, and realized he has developed MBD. I have been giving him 500mg of calcium a day for the last week. He improved overnight, but the paralysis persists. I will continue to treat him, but am worried his condition will be permanent. Has anyone experienced this? Do I need to be more patient? I also removed seeds and nuts from his diet. He now gets rodent block's and fresh veggies. I also bought a full spectrum light for him. I am very worried.

Default Re: Baby with partial paralysis, not responding to calcium treatment

What is Chippie? Chipmunk? Squirrel? Do you know what kind? I am trying to get an idea of his size.

What form of calcium are you giving him?
    If you are giving him half a Tums per day... that is 500mg of calcium carbonate, which actually contains only 200mg of calcium, which is less than 2 Henry's Healthy Blocks (250mg).

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    What form of calcium are you giving him?
    If you are giving him half a Tums per day... that is 500mg of calcium carbonate, which actually contains only 200mg of calcium, which is less than 2 Henry's Healthy Blocks (250mg).
    You read my mind.

If you are using Tums, ignore the milligram size on the front of the bottle. It represents the total size of the pill, not the total amount of calcium in the pill (there is stuff to make it stick together, stuff to color it, stuff to sweeten it, etc). Turn the bottle over. You are looking for the words "Total calcium carbonate" or "Total elemental calcium". THAT is the number you use.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.