Thread: Found a friendly squirrel

Hybrid View

Default Found a friendly squirrel

I was downtown and there was a squirrel jumping on people. Not biting or being mean. I went to her and she jumped on me and started to snuggle. She probably 5 months old. I introduced her to my other squirrel and Chubs wasn't happy.
    What do I do? If I let her go someone might kill her. Someone almost did when she jumped on them. I'm posting on Facebook to find the owner but sadly, people are being assholes.
    Is it possible for Chubs to learn to like her or can she be taught to be wild and free?

Default Re: Found a friendly squirrel

She can probably be wilded up through the soft-release process which gradually allows a squirrel to wild up and regain its natural instincts. It is highly unlikly that your squirrel Chubs will ever warm up to this little squirrel. In fact, it is more likely that Chubs would end up hurting this little one so they should be kept apart.

Could you get this little one to a squirrel rehabber?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
    I was downtown and there was a squirrel jumping on people. Not biting or being mean. I went to her and she jumped on me and started to snuggle. She probably 5 months old. I introduced her to my other squirrel and Chubs wasn't happy.
    What do I do? If I let her go someone might kill her. Someone almost did when she jumped on them. I'm posting on Facebook to find the owner but sadly, people are being assholes.
    Is it possible for Chubs to learn to like her or can she be taught to be wild and free?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (12-09-2018)

If I can't find the owner I'll call a rehabber but, I've called them in the past and have gotten the, we aren't taking anymore in.

Where are you in florida?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Dont give her to someone who says she is theirs. That could be anyone. She needs a rehabber.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

lukaslolamaus (12-09-2018), stepnstone (12-10-2018)

I'm in Ocala. I may have found a rehabber.

Animis Foundation is in Ocala.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

SammysMom (12-10-2018)

Animis won't take anything. They tell people they won't. We need a new rehab facility.

Well, I did find a lady but, all she did was give advise which I appreciated.

She is an older squirrel. Still quite friendly. She stays in my bathroom and she paces the window sills most of the day. She won't eat anything besides grapes and sunflower seeds. Has no interest in chewing on sticks either. Her teeth are fine, she chewed herself out of a cage with a plastic bottom when I first got her. I checked her teeth, I don't see any abnormalities.

I don't see a soft release with this one. She wants to take off which is good but, she still jumps on people. If she jumps on the wrong person, they could kill her. I don't know how to break that habit. If I put her in a cage outside, the moment I open the door she will run. She acts like she is missing something and trying to find it. She has acted like this since she jumped on me downtown.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Her being free to jump on strangers is a death sentence for her but, she doesn't seem happy inside either
    Name:  IMG_20181226_120002.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  111.6 KB

All of my limited releases were very comfortable with me. My boy Max would ride around on my shoulder and all of them would climb on me. But once they went through a proper soft release process, that all stopped. My boy Max did this a bit after he was released but I just pushed him off me and he soon stopped this behavior. She still looks fairly young so I would try a soft release and see how she reacts. During the soft release period (3-5 weeks), the only contact with humans should be when you put food in the cage. There should be no other interaction, no talking to, no petting or etc etc. Most squirrels will wild up be fine for release.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead