Hi, I really need some advice. I have a wild squirrel friend, Baby Almond, who is about 9 months old and has been a daily visitor to my yard (I've known his mother for well over 2 years now)

I saw him early afternoon on Monday and he was fine. On Tuesday there was no appearance from him at all and I feared something had happened to him.

Then on Wednesday he showed up with a huge cheek abscess, was finding it hard to pick up food and eating with difficulty from the squirrel feeder I'd put out on my patio. I tried giving him some clindamycin in peanut butter which I think he did eat. He was so desperate for food he eventually came into the house to eat (it's not unusual form him to come inside as he and his mum and siblings come in and help themselves from a feeder inside the door most times, choose a nut and then jump outside again). He was struggling to eat.

Because he seemed in such a bad way I closed the door and let him try and eat undisturbed and he was calm and didn't mind, and I noticed he had blood at the base of his bottom teeth, his mouth wasn't closed properly (and reminded me of malocclusion) and his face was very swollen. Managed to tempt him into a pet carrier and closed the door, took him to the vet and had to take him home for the night as the vet said he couldn't work on him until today as this would take time as he thought there was more to it than just lancing and antibiotic administering.

So today he had the abscess lanced. Was shocked to be told his teeth were badly maloccluded (they must have been knocked out of place as he had perfect teeth prior to this) and that I would have to catch him each month and bring him in for teeth trimmings, and that the abscess had been so bad there had been loads of tracts filled with pus. He said there was a scar there and thinks a bite had caused it. He said to keep him in until the morning as the anaesthetic will not have worn off until then, also given me an antibiotic called enrobactin to put in his food "twice a day". Baby Almond is drowsy but eating and drinking - he was understandably really thirsty and hungry. But he is in a pet carrier at the moment. I need something else to keep him in. The vet had said I could let him go in the morning - but would you really recommend that??

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone has had a similar experience with a wild adult squirrel, please share and advise.

Many thanks