Thread: Fur missing on nose

Default Fur missing on nose

Hi!! So i went out this morn to open the release cage door & let my 3 babys out for the first time...and discovered that Sunni was missing her nose fur. I spend a lot of time with them everyday & i swear it wasnt like that yesterday. Shes eating & acting normal. No other fur missing. Im hoping its just where it got rubbed off. They are quite large & all cram into one wooden nest box inside the rc. Thoughts?? I dont think its mites or mange. They've been in release cage for 5 weeks now & never been out. Other 2 look fine. Photos attached...got a good close up of her nose & looks like fur is gone. Abrasion?? Should i not release them now & put ab ointment on it?? I just dont want to release her & it gets worse & i cant catch her. Although...none of them seemed in a hurry to leave...a bit spoiled!! . Oh, im in south florida so its not cold here.
    Name:  20181206_121821.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  82.2 KBName:  20181206_121817-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  137.0 KB

Default Re: Fur missing on nose

It looks rubbed off - probably from the inside of the nest box. She will likely be just fine. I don't like using things like neosporin or creams on them because they fuss so much with their fur they notice it IMMEDIATELY and often begin to fuss with the area, which is pretty much exactly what yo do not want to happen. If she will let you touch her, I would get a bottle of Betadyne (10% povidone iodine) at the drug store, and dilute some - 25 drops to 1/4 cup water. Soak a cotton ball and dab her nose with it. It leaves no real residue when it dries to draw attention and is an excellent topical antibacterial. It also doesn't sting.

You could probably let her go...but if keeping her in for a couple days until you see clear healing would make you feel better, I would go for it. A few more days in the release isn't gonna hurt anyone.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Jennefer (12-06-2018), stepnstone (12-06-2018)

Thanks Crittermom! Sounds good. I do have betadyne so i'll do that- great idea- she'll let me touch her no problem. And ill hang on to them a few more days. All of them came out on my shoulder & then right back in the rc. I have a feeling they werent planning on leaving anyway!! Haahaa

How is your little girl?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator