Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Feeding question for peanut

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Question Feeding question for peanut

    I have a feeding question,
    Is it ok to feed Peanut Rat/ mouse food?
    He has all his front 4 teeth and I believe that he is trying to wean himself
    I have been feeding him baby food/ plain yogurt/ water ( sometimes evaporated milk)
    I only give him fruit and vegetables baby food.
    I have got him some bananas which I know he loves and
    I知 gonna try sweet potatoes ( from produce dept)
    And broccoli.
    I just want to check about the rat/mouse food.
    Thank you so much!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,332
    Thanked: 6047

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    Yes, he needs to be eating a rodent block for 80 % of his diet and the other 20% is veg, outdoor greens with occasional fruit and nut.

    Here's a link to the squirrel feeding pyramid: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

    How old is this squirrel and what kind?

    Rodent blocks are rat blocks and include Oxbow, Harlan Teklad (Envigo), Mazuri, Kaytee. A supplement you can offer which meets his vitamin and mineral needs is called Henry's Healthy Blocks. Here is the link: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

    Carla5975 (12-06-2018)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,042
    Thanked: 7951

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    What is he attempting to wean himself off of evaporated milk??
    Has this baby not been on formula?
    How old and can you post a picture?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    Carla5975 (12-06-2018)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    I have been feeding him.
    1/2 evaporated milk and 1/2 water.

    And then he started having runny stool so I
    Got some plain yogurt and baby food...
    Green Beans, Apples, Bananas, Pears,
    Apple/Pear/Banana..baby food and began mixing
    That in with his food as well.
    I gave him a piece of banana a few days ago and he held it
    And ate it. I知 not exactly sure of his age, he has his 4 front teeth, he sits up
    He baths himself. He is also starting to chew/naw on things but my husband works
    At a saw mill and brought him some small wood blocks home.

    I also just noticed on his sides the skin is peeling off, I am assuming it may be from not enough moisture. He walks and lifts one of his legs like it may be bothering him.
    Also he seems to not have hair on one side of his tail. I知 not sure if it is from a fungus cause his skin looks fine. I知 gonna see if I can get some photos posted of him.
    From what I read, the brand of rodent block I have is NOT suitable for him?? The brand is Wild Harvest???
    Thanks so much!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,042
    Thanked: 7951

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    Please do post pictures so we can assess his age, condition, etc.
    How long have you had him?

    I would venture to say much of what you are seeing with his skin
    conditions are likely due to bad diet, possible with the leg as well.
    Squirrels nutritional requirements include a stable calcium content,
    this is where a proper formula and a good quality block comes in
    once weened.

    Evaporated milk was not a formula for a squirrel, diarrhea would
    be expected.

    Attaching the feeding pyramid: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

    Also link on squirrel care this can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    This is not the first little one I have raised on evaported milk/wTer
    And I assume baby food that he gets has the calcium
    Inbaby food is good, lnever had problems with the other babies I fed
    Evaporated milk, I just added baby food to it. But thanks!!!!!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Feeding question for peanut

    Name:  C3A36D49-047D-4149-84AA-E122186703B0.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  110.6 KBName:  C3A36D49-047D-4149-84AA-E122186703B0.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  110.6 KBi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •