Thread: Soft Release

Default Soft Release

I have a 4 month old little guy. I rescued him while his eyes were opened and well alert. I placed him in a cage with his foster brother which I had rescued while his eyes were closed. 4 months later I will call him eyes opened has become angry and growling. I placed him in my outdoor cage. I would put closed eyes in with him,yet he wants out and does not want any part of him any more. They were together for 4 months but open eyes changed. I believe he's ready for a soft release,but here in NY it's winter. He has a huge outdoor cage always replete with food,is it a good idea to do so at this time?

Default Re: Soft Release

Are you asking whether you should release him now or overwinter in the big outdoor cage?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

I would like your feedback on releasing him now.. A slow release. His cage will always be opened with food water and his hanging cube.

Ive released a few in the last week, but i also am on 40 acres and they have access to food and water. Cedarhurst is pretty crowded with humans, would he be safe where you release him? Can you put up a nest box for him?
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to kcassidy from:

island rehabber (12-05-2018)

Hi, Cedarhurst is quite safe. Nobody has animals except for me..I didnt hear from anyone quick enough, so I did what I felt would be good for him. He was getting to wild,and alll he would do is stay in his cube alone because he no longer played nicely with the other one. The door is opened to his cage replete with food,henrys block,and water. I stay at the back door watching him,he no longer is in my yard and has not come home yet, My eyes are opened,and Im waiting it out...

He came home this morning. I decided to keep him inside until after winter. I stayed up worrying weather I made the correct decision or not as im laying in a warm room feeling so cold for him. So hes home,eating,drinking,and safe..

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to dextersmom:

lennysmom (12-07-2018), Nancy in New York (12-07-2018), stepnstone (12-06-2018)

Glad to hear that.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

dextersmom (12-08-2018)