Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Default Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Rhea and Ren got out two days ago, Rhea came back tonight with blood on her nose making horrible wheezing sounds. She ate yogurt and honey readily. I'm leaving to get baby ibuprofen now.

What else can I do? Uploading video and pic ... I couldn't get a good pic because she is scittish and moving a lot. I don't want to manhandle her and stress her.

Default Re: Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Awww, poor baby. Do you have dosing for the infant Ibuprofen? That is good for inflammation. Check her teeth and make sure she did not lose any or that they are not cutting into her top palate with the swelling. The only other thing would be for pain such as tramadol or gabapentin. Do you have any of those? Most importantly let her rest.

Were you doing a hard release with them now?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (12-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Awww, poor baby. Do you have dosing for the infant Ibuprofen? That is good for inflammation. Check her teeth and make sure she did not lose any or that they are not cutting into her top palate with the swelling. The only other thing would be for pain such as tramadol or gabapentin. Do you have any of those? Most importantly let her rest.

Were you doing a hard release with them now?
    No, I wouldn't do a hard release, but the grate I had on the window to keep them in came out and I thought maybe they would come and go. Ren was back last night and fine, but not Rhea. Now she is home, but he is not, however, I did see him in the tree today looking just fine. I'm going to put something for him outside the window in case he comes back. It's closed totally now.

When she is sleeping, I don't hear the bad sounds. She ate a block just fine too. I don't have a dosage, but I know she is around 200 grams and the infant ibuprofen is 50mg per 1.25ml. I have ciprofloxacin also but that's it

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelDad View Post
    No, I wouldn't do a hard release, but the grate I had on the window to keep them in came out and I thought maybe they would come and go. Ren was back last night and fine, but not Rhea. Now she is home, but he is not, however, I did see him in the tree today looking just fine. I'm going to put something for him outside the window in case he comes back. It's closed totally now.

When she is sleeping, I don't hear the bad sounds. She ate a block just fine too. I don't have a dosage, but I know she is around 200 grams and the infant ibuprofen is 50mg per 1.25ml. I have ciprofloxacin also but that's it
    Give me a minute and I will dose the ibuprofen for you.

200 grams is a very small squirrel. This is a horrible time to let them go. These guys need to be overwintered.

Cipro is in case the nose gets infected. You don’t need it now. She probably hit the ground with her face. She needs to stay in and heal from this. Please don’t do a release in the winter.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (12-03-2018), Spanky (12-03-2018), SquirrelDad (12-02-2018), stepnstone (12-02-2018)

Give me a minute and I will dose the ibuprofen for you.

200 grams is a very small squirrel. This is a horrible time to let them go. These guys need to be overwintered.

Cipro is in case the nose gets infected. You don’t need it now. She probably hit the ground with her face. She needs to stay in and heal from this. Please don’t do a release in the winter.
    Thank you. Should I wait till morning to give ibuprofen...? She is sleeping now. I'm sorry if this isn't actually life threatening, I just end up freaking out at anything bad that happens.

She is 16 weeks, but lost weight in the last two days since she was gone and she was always a small girl. I think she was a runt in the first place

Dosing sent. I would go ahead and give it to her. Inflammation is painful and this will help her. Make sure she is drinking. A lot of times they do not get much of a chance to drink when they first go out.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (12-02-2018)

She is 16 weeks, but lost weight in the last two days since she was gone and she was always a small girl. I think she was a runt in the first place
    Being a runt is even more reason to overwinter. It gives her more time to catch up.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

SquirrelDad (12-03-2018), stepnstone (12-02-2018)

Name:  WP_20181203_09_38_43_Pro.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  61.4 KB

Her top teeth are missing.

She sleeps mostly, woke up to eat and had most of a block, a little yogurt, and her medicine in honey and applesauce. She also drank water on her own and is mobile.

Her breathing sounds better too. I hear her making that whistle sound in her sleep, but it's mild and not as pronounced as last night.

Worried about her poor teeth, but she is still able to eat blocks. Hasn't wanted any foods other than the block, yogurt, honey, applesauce. She eats very slowly, but seems okay.

Will she take any formula via syringe. You can grind her hhb’s and add some nut butter, or baby food, or applesauce and mix. This will be softer for her to eat. Weigh her every other day to make sure she is getting enough to eat. She definitely took a face plant. Her top teeth should grow back in but you want to be sure.

Poor sweetie, so glad she had dad to come back to.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Will she take any formula via syringe. You can grind her hhb’s and add some nut butter, or baby food, or applesauce and mix. This will be softer for her to eat. Weigh her every other day to make sure she is getting enough to eat. She definitely took a face plant. Her top teeth should grow back in but you want to be sure.

Poor sweetie, so glad she had dad to come back to.
    I don't know if she will take a syringe. I'm sure she will eat out of a cup, though I don't have formula to give her. I can mix the block with applesauce and get some baby food for her.

Most of the baby food has banana are these okay to give her? She's never had banana because I wasn't sure about it. I have been adding coconut oil to her blocks to help her gain some weight since before she ran off. My poor baby...

Can you grind the block up and then mix applesauce/baby food into so it is softer and more moist?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Can you grind the block up and then mix applesauce/baby food into so it is softer and more moist?
    Yes, I tried a few things... Mixed one with sweet potato, carrot, blueberry, strawberry, applesauce, coconut oil and blended it, she wouldn't touch it. Mixed one with just applesauce and coconut oil, barely touched it... The whole block with coconut oil on it? She will eat that. She just scraps it with her bottom teeth and eats little bits at a time. She only ate today:
    Half tablespoon of whole fat plain yogurt
    About one teaspoon honey (total in the day not all at once) with her medicine
    Maybe one teaspoon applesauce
    1.5 blocks and coconut oil roughly 0.5-1 teaspoon worth... I will offer more yogurt and applesauce as well as a drop of honey with her meds, in a little while. She just got done eating some more block and went back to sleep. She only drank water one time that I saw, but she did voluntarily. She wants nothing to do with the pedialyte.

I'll be able to get baby food tomorrow. Looking for healthier kinds, hopefully she will eat that. She was never a picky eater, but I guess because she is not feeling well she has become selective. Her breathing is improving already.

Should I keep giving ibuprofen all night or stop after 6PM (sunset) and let her go 12 hours undisturbed or keep giving it through the night? I feel that she does really need to rest more than anything, but suppose she is waking in the night, I will definitely give more medicine or if you think I should I will.

She ate a little more yogurt and a bite of applesauce, as well as another drop of honey with medicine. No interest in blocks or anything else right now. Sun is set, she is back to sleep.

I have goats milk I forgot about, even though ojust opened it today. She likes yogurt the best, I think she will take goats milk too hopefully. I could blend egg whites into it or something ?

Very interested in some creative ideas to get this child to eat more tomorrow.

Maybe a blend of goats milk, an egg white, yogurt, and a drop of honey? I could grind some calcium too and add that. Will weigh her tomorrow morning. Thank you for all your help, redwuff, I really appreciate it.

I saw in your other thread where you said Rhea was 320grams but in this thread you've posted she weighs 200grams. Just pointing out the dependency as I believe you have some medication dosing info based upon a 200gm squirrel.

It is important to get her weight verified and dosing adjusted if necessary.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (12-03-2018), stepnstone (12-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I saw in your other thread where you said Rhea was 320grams but in this thread you've posted she weighs 200grams. Just pointing out the dependency as I believe you have some medication dosing info based upon a 200gm squirrel.

It is important to get her weight verified and dosing adjusted if necessary.
    Hi Spanky, SD did let me know and I adjusted the dose this morning.

SquirrelDad, your little girl is the same weight as my little downs/dwarf boy and I think he is tiny. I have to tell you that I am just a bit wigged out that you released her at that size. Here is my boy

Name:  29471B32-D5DA-4886-9947-84D976D7BC76.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  156.4 KB
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Her breathing sounds better too. I hear her making that whistle sound in her sleep, but it's mild and not as pronounced as last night.

Worried about her poor teeth, but she is still able to eat blocks. Hasn't wanted any foods other than the block, yogurt, honey, applesauce. She eats very slowly, but seems okay.
    My latest three came in with bloody noses and one “snored” as he slept the first couple nights. I asked other rehabbers about swelling in the nasal passages and was reassured that was likely it. He only did it whilst asleep. When I woke him it would stop. I can’t assure you this is the same case as mine but it did stop for my little guy after a few days as his nose healed up.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

SquirrelDad (12-04-2018)

Spanky
    I did weigh and confirm, she was 320 g. I just didn't weigh her right away and was guessing.

Redwuff
    I know, I'm an irresponsible dad... I'll be better. I didn't mean for her to run off anyway. I thought she might just explore and come home, but off she went... I know better now. I feel wretched for ever letting her or Ren leave the house as nothing good has come of it. I know I f-ed up...

She has lost weight and isn't eating much. I bought a variety of baby foods and so far she only ate a few bites of the sweet carrot mixed with yogurt. I have several dishes available for her: one plain yogurt, plain carrot baby food, mixed carrot and yogurt, applesauce. All she ate today was a few little nibbles of the HHB and about 1tbsp of yogurt.
    She weighs 310 g now...

I'm about to go get real creative with food mixtures and try my best to get her to eat at least 2 blocks with other things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast