Thread: Sick flier

KellyRae Guest

Default Sick flier

Hi all! Looking for help with a sick flier. A friend reached out to me when he was just a few weeks old, eyes were still closed. Her cat brought him in to the house. She knew I have fostered many dogs and cats in the past and reached out to me. I am a restaurant manager, up most hours normal ppl are sleeping so I took him in feeding him formula every few hours. He is now about ten -twelve weeks old. Eating fresh veggies. Yesterday he was making an odd noise and acting strange. He didn’t want to come out of his cage like normal. Gave him some fluid. Today he is acting worse. Does not seem coordinated, does not want to be held. He did eat some pea pods last night and I have him some unflavored pedialyte. I am not sure where to go from here and want to do what’s best for him. Please try not to pass judgment on me, I was trying to do what I thought was the right thing at the time but now fear I have done more damage than good. Not sure if he can ever be released into the wild? I want to do whatever I can to get him healthy, even if that means someone with more experience taking him in! Much appreciated!

Default Re: Sick flier

First off cat caught should have been on anti biotics due to a bacteria in a cat's mouth that can be deadly to squirrels. Second, what is her complete diet she has been fed? More often these symptoms you describe lead back to improper diet not supplying the nutrients and calcium these babies need. This can be turned around with treatment and proper diet. Please list all she is fed on a daily basics.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

We have lots of experienced squirrel TSB members in Florida. Can you post up your city location? We can try to connect you with a nearby member who can either work with you directly or take the flyer to get it the care it needs. As Stepnstone stated above, cat caught means deadly bacterial infections and the diet is not ideal so time is of the essence here. Thanks for trying to help this little one.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I suspect that we are long past the 'danger period' for cat issues.

How long has the baby been off formula?
    That is a very important question. The baby should be eating a rodent block to supply the calcium. Veggies are good but don't have adequate calcium.

I would suggest that you start supplementing with calcium right away. Squirrels get a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease when the calcium isn't adequate. While on formula, the calcium needs are me but when formula is discontinued the rodent block will supply the needed calcium. I will get the link for the MBD protocol. It involves using Tums as a calcium source.

Let me get the link. I will never judge you so lets put that aside.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

SammysMom (12-03-2018), stepnstone (12-03-2018)

Here is the link.... https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/....php?32122-MBD

This is for a grey squirrel. You have a flyer that is MUCH smaller. Because we don't know for sure this is the problem I would cut the doses way back. I would take a Tums and split it in quarters. A pill splitter would be helpful. Crush 1/4 of the tablet. Over 24 hrs get the 1/4 Tums into your baby. Either mix with a little water and syringe feed it or mix it in something he likes like yogurt, avocado, etc. Don't give it all at one time.
    The calcium won't hurt him if MBD isn't the problem.

If you can stabilize him, you can order Healthy rodent blocks online from Henry's Pets. I'll get the link for that. Also, flyers are omnivores and need added protein. They are meat eaters. You can buy meal worms or WaxWorms at pet retailers.

This is a link for healthy Picky Eater blocks. They make a special block for flyers but my boys won't eat it. I use the Picky Eater block.
    https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...ers-rats-mice/

These are usually well received.
    Don't worry about not releasing the little guy. Flyers can not be released as a singleton. They are colony dwellers and must be released in groups. A single flyer alone in nature wouldn't have much chance of survival.

The main things you need to do are keep him warm. Heating pad on low under half the bin. Hydrate... Pedialyte is good.... Supplement with calcium... Add a rodent block to the diet. Add meal worms or wax worms to the diet. If you feed them, withhold all nuts. Nuts are extremely unhealthy and are the leading cause of MBD.

If he will take formula, that would be great for the calcium. Some will drink it out of a tiny bowl. You can also try a full fat yogurt like Yobaby.

I hope this helps.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

SammysMom (12-03-2018), Spanky (12-03-2018)

KellyRae, if you are near me I have some extra Henry's blocks in my freezer that I'll gladly share with you while waiting for your own to come in.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sottinger:

HRT4SQRLS (12-03-2018), SammysMom (12-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    KellyRae, if you are near me I have some extra Henry's blocks in my freezer that I'll gladly share with you while waiting for your own to come in.
    I’m on the other side of the state near Cocoa Beach and have blocks and other supplies if you need them or you need some help getting him stabilized.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

HRT4SQRLS (12-03-2018), SammysMom (12-03-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.