Thread: Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Hybrid View

Default Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Rhea and Ren got out two days ago, Rhea came back tonight with blood on her nose making horrible wheezing sounds. She ate yogurt and honey readily. I'm leaving to get baby ibuprofen now.

What else can I do? Uploading video and pic ... I couldn't get a good pic because she is scittish and moving a lot. I don't want to manhandle her and stress her.

Default Re: Injury, blood on nose, bad breathing

Awww, poor baby. Do you have dosing for the infant Ibuprofen? That is good for inflammation. Check her teeth and make sure she did not lose any or that they are not cutting into her top palate with the swelling. The only other thing would be for pain such as tramadol or gabapentin. Do you have any of those? Most importantly let her rest.

Were you doing a hard release with them now?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (12-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Awww, poor baby. Do you have dosing for the infant Ibuprofen? That is good for inflammation. Check her teeth and make sure she did not lose any or that they are not cutting into her top palate with the swelling. The only other thing would be for pain such as tramadol or gabapentin. Do you have any of those? Most importantly let her rest.

Were you doing a hard release with them now?
    No, I wouldn't do a hard release, but the grate I had on the window to keep them in came out and I thought maybe they would come and go. Ren was back last night and fine, but not Rhea. Now she is home, but he is not, however, I did see him in the tree today looking just fine. I'm going to put something for him outside the window in case he comes back. It's closed totally now.

When she is sleeping, I don't hear the bad sounds. She ate a block just fine too. I don't have a dosage, but I know she is around 200 grams and the infant ibuprofen is 50mg per 1.25ml. I have ciprofloxacin also but that's it

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelDad View Post
    No, I wouldn't do a hard release, but the grate I had on the window to keep them in came out and I thought maybe they would come and go. Ren was back last night and fine, but not Rhea. Now she is home, but he is not, however, I did see him in the tree today looking just fine. I'm going to put something for him outside the window in case he comes back. It's closed totally now.

When she is sleeping, I don't hear the bad sounds. She ate a block just fine too. I don't have a dosage, but I know she is around 200 grams and the infant ibuprofen is 50mg per 1.25ml. I have ciprofloxacin also but that's it
    Give me a minute and I will dose the ibuprofen for you.

200 grams is a very small squirrel. This is a horrible time to let them go. These guys need to be overwintered.

Cipro is in case the nose gets infected. You don’t need it now. She probably hit the ground with her face. She needs to stay in and heal from this. Please don’t do a release in the winter.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (12-03-2018), Spanky (12-03-2018), SquirrelDad (12-02-2018), stepnstone (12-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Give me a minute and I will dose the ibuprofen for you.

200 grams is a very small squirrel. This is a horrible time to let them go. These guys need to be overwintered.

Cipro is in case the nose gets infected. You don’t need it now. She probably hit the ground with her face. She needs to stay in and heal from this. Please don’t do a release in the winter.
    Thank you. Should I wait till morning to give ibuprofen...? She is sleeping now. I'm sorry if this isn't actually life threatening, I just end up freaking out at anything bad that happens.