Thread: Hunny Bunny

Default Hunny Bunny

My bun is only 4, and he survived a near death experience earlier in Spring from gut lieus. He seemed to improve after hospitalization, supportive care, and many helpful friends here. About 4 weeks ago I noticed his weight dropping off again . But this time his appetite has. been great, and his bowels have been working. I was loving on him and felt a firm mass in his abdomen. We had ultrasound, and referral DVM said she thinks it encompasses his intestines . But now after 4 + weeks of ravenous appetite and consistent bm’s, I have to wonder if perhaps her FNA didn’t get the actual cancer but an accidental contamination of the GI ( report said no cancer cells; ingest only). But there is an ever increaSing in size growth in his abdominal cavity. I have him tentatively scheduled for an exploratory Tues am. But he could drop dead on the table from sedation , as thin as he’s become. He’s still vibrant and full of life , as is. But basically waiting to die. If she can, she will dissect the mass away. Or, we could leave him be. Have others had such young rabbits get malignancies this aggressive ? And do they do well with surgery? Would you take he chance or leave him be, based on personal experiences? This is a very loved bunny, and first ever I’ve sent to an exotic vet.. I don’t do bunnies

Default Re: Hunny Bunny

Sorry about your bun bun. What does the exotic vet surgeon say? Poor thing. May it will be an easy mass to remove and he'll recover just fine. You'll know if it's "too much" for him and if and when it's time to end suffering...if it comes to that. Best wishes!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Snicker Bar (12-02-2018)

She says it’s rare for them to get cancer this young. And it grew so fast. She agrees it’s strange that the needle aspiration did not reveal cancer cells, yet there is definitely a large, firm , baseball in his abdomen. I’m thinking her needle must have missed somehow.. If his intestines were intertwined in the mass surely he’d be obstructed by now, I would think? I’m just worried about the anesthesia; but I guess it’s true. If we try he could have a few more years. If don’t try , he will eventually decline. Or, he could die on table .
    We will keep try and make a final decision. Just wondering if others have had cancer bunny success stories..
    Name:  A785F57E-F8A1-4497-B138-134C16C0EA73.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  127.7 KB
    We rescued him from the freezer, literally . He was in a litter destined for “food”. The daughters at this home snuck him to us, said he was too cute for what
    “Daddy uses them for .”
    Took him home to be a buddy for Snickers. They grew up together; and the rabbit literally would climb up in the limbs with her lol

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

HRT4SQRLS (12-03-2018), Scooterzmom (12-03-2018)

That's a great pic Snicker Bar. I wish I had answers but really don't know anything about rabbits. I'm sorry that you have to make this difficult decision for a beloved friend.

I read an article by a rabbit rescue that I thought was interesting. It made me realize what a tough decision that it really is. Rabbits seem to have unique surgical challenges. http://rabbitresource.org/surgery-considerations/

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (12-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    She says it’s rare for them to get cancer this young. And it grew so fast. She agrees it’s strange that the needle aspiration did not reveal cancer cells, yet there is definitely a large, firm , baseball in his abdomen. I’m thinking her needle must have missed somehow.. If his intestines were intertwined in the mass surely he’d be obstructed by now, I would think? I’m just worried about the anesthesia; but I guess it’s true. If we try he could have a few more years. If don’t try , he will eventually decline. Or, he could die on table .
    We will keep try and make a final decision. Just wondering if others have had cancer bunny success stories..
    Name:  A785F57E-F8A1-4497-B138-134C16C0EA73.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  127.7 KB
    We rescued him from the freezer, literally . He was in a litter destined for “food”. The daughters at this home snuck him to us, said he was too cute for what
    “Daddy uses them for .”
    Took him home to be a buddy for Snickers. They grew up together; and the rabbit literally would climb up in the limbs with her lol

Both of them are adorable!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Snicker Bar (12-03-2018)

Thank you , she’s my youngest and best squirrel / deer helper of them all Tomorrow is her b day, big 11 A successful surgery outcome would be the best gift ever. I guess going to take him first thing tomorrow am,

I agree about the anesthesia challenges. I had many local vets here kindly offer to help, saying we could possible just mask him down and do it here. But as easy as I’ve heard they are to stress and die in rehab, I wouldn’t want to put him to the test with my inexperience.

prayers to all
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Snicker Bar (12-03-2018)

On our way to get him, not the outcome we had hoped for. She called about an hour ago and said there were not one, but four masses. One involved the liver. She offered to close him and return him to live out what time he has. But she said it would ultimately be a horrible death. I guess I should have let him be; he was eating, enjoying loves. But I could tell there were times he just didn’t look like he felt well,
    I guess I had hoped ( as did my colleague ) that if this were a solitary mass , he could
    have many more years .
    When I’m able I would like to post some of my favorite pics of him. Wearing his jeans today; my squirrel room cleaning blue jeans. He would bump my leg, while I’m on my knees cleaning, for pets and head scratches . But if he wasn’t satisfied he had enough rubbings, I’d get a hole gently nibbled on my thigh.
    I’m so sorry Hunny this isn’t how it was supposed to be

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

cava (12-04-2018)

Awww, so sorry Snicker bar, so sorry hunny bunny
    redwuff
    State Licensed

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Snicker Bar (12-04-2018)

Awwww... so sorry.

You did what you had to do and the decision came out of love and care for him. It is never easy to lose a friend.

Godspeed friendly Bunny.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (12-04-2018)

So sorry you lost your bun. My thoughts are with you and your family tonight.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Snicker Bar (12-04-2018)

I've been thinking about y'all all day and was hoping for a different outcome. I'm so sorry that you lost Hunny Bunny.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baxied from:

Snicker Bar (12-04-2018)

Name:  3FBE666D-107B-405E-9257-80143172103E.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  134.8 KB
    Thank you for caring,
    Going to miss the head bumps and “Please keep scratching that spot! “ nips into my jeans. He was precious to me . Will post my favorite pics of him when I can look at them ,

I'm so sorry Snicker Bar
    Rest peacefully Hunny Bunny
    I love bunnies, my very first pet I took care of by myself was a bunny (Wolle). She was precious.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

Snicker Bar (12-04-2018)

So sorry to hear that Marie. I was so hoping it could be treated.
    Tell your daughter how sorry I am about her friend.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (12-05-2018)

Will do, yesterday was her b day , so we had to wait until today while she was gone on a day trip with her Aunt for Jon to take care of burial. I’ll have to tell her tonight; had kids and cake ( chaos) all afternoon yesterday. But had another sweet visit from our forest friends ( the fawns). They’re like my little guardian angels; come drifting in when I need a moment alone with nature.

You did the hardest thing a loving heart can do. You saved him from a cruel end and gave him a life of skritches and kindness. You’ll carry his soft love for always as he’ll carry yours into the absolute

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Snicker Bar (12-05-2018)

OMG! I am so sorry I missed all of this. I am so very, very sorry Marie.....for you and your children. This is NEVER an easy choice. I often pray for divine intervention so I’m not the one making the choices. I feel for you and your children.