Thread: Please Help (Lakeland, FL): Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed a

iantuttle Guest

Default Please Help (Lakeland, FL): Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed a

I found this squirrel in my back yard with paralyzed back legs so i put him back on the tree and he climbed up but the next day i found him on the ground again, i’ve been taking care of him in a box with towels, crushed nuts and cashews, acorns, apple juice, almond milk, water, and ibproufen mixed into water, i’ve been feeding him through a syringe, and he is eating acorns on his own and cracking them open, but his back legs don’t seem to be getting any better, i have contacted multiple wildlife associations and none have responded, please help. I’m located in Lakeland, Florida
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Please Help: Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed a

It's recommended that within 48 hours of finding the animal to see a squirrel-experienced vet to get some prednisone or other corticosteroid anti-inflammatory so that any pressure on his spine is relieved (and may help restore some mobility?) Also an xray to determine any breaks, other internal injuries, etc.

another very important thing is whether he is able to pee on his own. When I found my Shelly on the ground 3 years ago with paralyzed back end, she wasn't able to pee and I had to express her bladder for a couple of weeks before she regained the ability.

above all, this little one is not releasable so long as he doesn't have use of his hind legs. hopefully some of the Florida members will see this post soon and reach out to you. a paralyzed squirrel may not have use of his entire body anymore, but many members including me are caring for these "special-needs" squirrels and they can live happy lives.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

iantuttle Guest

Default Re: Please Help: Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed

I have contacted multiple wildlife rescue centers and nobody will respond, i gave him a non steroidal anti inflammatory (ibproufen) crushes in water and fed him through a syringe to try and help him

Default Re: Please Help: Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed a

Please get some Infants Ibuprofen and provide the proper dosage; I will PM you a chart. Meds are given based upon weight and giving too much Ibuprofen can damage his internal organs.

Note you must wait 24 hours after the most recent dose of ibuprofen before any steroids can be given.

Here is a link on caring for squirrels:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

I am going to update the thread title with your location so other nearby members that may be able to help will notice.

iantuttle Guest

Default Re: Please Help (Lakeland, FL): Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed

Thank you, I just gave him a heating pad, what else can I do for now? Is there anything a rescue center could do about this poor squirrel?

Default Re: Please Help (Lakeland, FL): Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed

Quote Originally Posted by iantuttle View Post
    Thank you, I just gave him a heating pad, what else can I do for now? Is there anything a rescue center could do about this poor squirrel?
    make sure the heating pad is outside of the box, underneath it so the squirrel doesn't chew the wires or the pad.

here is an EXCELLENT video explaining how to express his bladder; this is critical as the inability to urinate will quickly kill this little one, if it is an issue:

I can understand your anxiousness, but try to be a bit patient and wait for some of our rehabbers in your area to respond to this thread. We can't be sure whether a rescue center would automatically euthanize this poor little guy because, unfortunately, many of these places do exactly that, especially when the squirrel is deemed "non-releasable."
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

iantuttle Guest

Default Re: Please Help (Lakeland, FL): Squirrel Hurt, back legs paralyzed a

Okay thank you I will try, but I think he has been peeing, his underside gets wet and i have to wipe it off, it does smell like pee.

Poor guy I will speak to my husband about taking him in since we made a pact not to keep any NRs shortly after we got our first orphans. However, I would need tons of help learning to care for him in his condition. I'm in Seffner so quite close to you. It's not that we don't totally adore them, but we've had to cancel trips we'd planned and have yet to be able to get to our other property since August.

Care Animal Hospital in Brandon sees squirrels just FYI.

He said no. I'm sorry. He's very hesitant to take on that much responsibility. There's a Facebook group for Central Florida squirrels. You can join if you like or I can ask for you.

There is a licensed rehabber in Central Florida that can help. Please contact Jean at ****. The squirrel will also be seen by a vet, which is its best chance at recovery.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 12-01-2018 at 06:35 AM.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (11-28-2018), island rehabber (11-28-2018), stepnstone (11-28-2018), TubeDriver (11-29-2018)

Ian, check PM and email. Mel1959's offer above is the best chance of saving your baby!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (11-29-2018)

Update: squirrel has been taken to a nearby wildlife center.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Sottinger (11-30-2018)

Thank you, TD.

Members who have read this thread: 1