Thread: Names of tastiest rodent blocks for very picky 3 month old?

Question Names of tastiest rodent blocks for very picky 3 month old?

I have Henrys high protein, Henrys picky formula. She pretty much will take a bite or 2 and throw them down in the last week. She doesn't like mazurri or kaytee rodent block. She loves sweet potato, sugar snap peas, kale, banana chips, strawberries. She tolerates pumpkin, brussel sprouts, brocoili. Concerned about calcium before she starts having issues. She is my first squirrel. Want to feed her what is good for her but she is so picky. It was easier when she was on formula. lol I also got Kaytee rodent mix for her and she eats it pretty good. It has pellets, seeds, corn, rodent block, peanuts. I don't think this is real good for her either. I try to limit her nuts to once or twice a day. She loves almonds, peanuts, brazil nuts, pecans. I am in Arkansas and still on the fence as to release her this spring, but need to figure this food issue out until spring.

Default Re: Names of tastiest rodent blocks for very picky 3 month old?

Sorry it isn't Brazil nuts it is Hazelnuts that she loves. I do not give her Brazil nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzis Mom View Post
    I have Henrys high protein, Henrys picky formula. She pretty much will take a bite or 2 and throw them down in the last week. She doesn't like mazurri or kaytee rodent block. She loves sweet potato, sugar snap peas, kale, banana chips, strawberries. She tolerates pumpkin, brussel sprouts, brocoili. Concerned about calcium before she starts having issues. She is my first squirrel. Want to feed her what is good for her but she is so picky. It was easier when she was on formula. lol I also got Kaytee rodent mix for her and she eats it pretty good. It has pellets, seeds, corn, rodent block, peanuts. I don't think this is real good for her either. I try to limit her nuts to once or twice a day. She loves almonds, peanuts, brazil nuts, pecans. I am in Arkansas and still on the fence as to release her this spring, but need to figure this food issue out until spring.

Home made Boo balls! I grind up 65% Mazuri blocks and 35% almonds with a pinch of pecans. All ground and mixed together, use organic apple sauce as a binder. You can also add a pince of Ca powder to the mix. Some folks will add some formula as well.

You still should give supplemental veggies daily!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

UwantSomaThis (11-28-2018)

Do you cook them?

It has pellets, seeds, corn, rodent block, peanuts. I don't think this is real good for her either. I try to limit her nuts to once or twice a day. She loves almonds, peanuts, brazil nuts, pecans.

If she has a CHOICE, she will always choose nuts, seeds, fruit/corn before veg and block.

Don't give her a choice. Stop the Kaytee mix. If you are giving a treat, ONE treat, let it be fruit OR nut (Seeds and corn are the highest in phosphorus). Never give all of these things in one day.

Here's a hard but helpful order of feeding for picky eaters. She's still young, you're the boss of her. Get her on track now so you don't have to force feed her tums and watch her go down hill with MBD.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...h-Picky-Eaters

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Diggie's Friend (01-31-2019)

Do you cook them?
    When I started out I cooked mine, but then I didn't and the next batch ate them fine uncooked. Here's my recipe with photos on this page...
    Post #209

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...in+st+foursome

Nope. I add just enough apple sauce binder to make the booball firm and not too sticky. I place the large booball (size of baseball) in a tupperware which goes in fridge. Just take a spoon and scoop out as much as is needed for each serving.

Do you cook them?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I like to switch it up between HHB, booballs like to Tubedrivers and Cavas. Sometimes I cook them sometimes I don’t. I feel like my NR gets bored and starts hiding them more than eating if I stay on one block too long so switching it around helps tremendously.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (11-28-2018), TubeDriver (11-28-2018)

Try coconut oil. I take the monkey biscuits and coat them with coconut oil. I melt the coconut oil in the microwave then coat the biscuits and put them in the fridge.
    It will solidify and it makes a tasty treat he loves. I also coat cranberries to get him to eat those too, so he doesn't develop a bladder infection. Coconut oil prevents fungal infections.
    You can try coating the Blocks with coconut oil.