Thread: Feeding question

Default Feeding question

I知 guessing that my little guy is around 4 weeks old and I知 feeding him the puppy formula you suggested along with 1/4 of heaven whipping cream. He still looks a little thin can I add more cream to each feeding ? Also can I Continue this formula until Weaning as I am so scared to change him on anything else and it not agree with him

Default Re: Feeding question

Looks thin isn't as descriptive as his weight. If you are feeding him based on his weight (which determines his stomach capacity and caloric needs) he may be just fine. A photo is helpful.

If you aren't, you want a gram scale (kitchen/postage scale) and he should be eating 5% of his weight in grams. Weight in grams x .05 = how many ml's to feed at each feeding. He should be fed every four hours.

Here's a link that is very helpful: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

You can't simply add more cream, it will throw off the balance of nutrition and many folks don't even add cream. To be sure, you are feeding powdered Esbilac puppy formula (not liquid in the can), at the correct volume (5% of body weight) every 4 hours.

Posting a photo can help. And if you got something wrong we're here to help get baby on track and help you be a success.

Also, yes, you can use that formula until he weans himself. You don't have to switch if it's working for him.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Jerri (11-25-2018), redwuff (12-16-2018)

I will buy a scale but this is what he looks like Name:  11BA35D5-4CAD-4968-9788-29A8FD64E8A3.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  104.6 KB

He looks may be a wee underweight but okay. We've seem some doozies and he's not one of them. Yes, get a scale and you'll be confident you are doing things right and what's best for his growth and development. Keep up the good work!

Question: how much and how often do you feed him currently?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Jerri (11-26-2018), redwuff (12-16-2018)

6 ccs every 3.5 hours and thank you 💓

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jerri from:

cava (11-26-2018)

Ok he weighs 72 grams. I’m still unsure of his age but going off the developmental chart I think between 3 to 4 weeks . I have had him since oct 31. He looked less then a week old with my untrained eye at the time

Ok, at 72 g he should be eating 3.6-5 ml of formula every 3.5-4 hours with a break at night. That's 5-7 %, recommended.

You're technically overfeeding, but if he's tolerating that well, seems super interested, continues to have perfect poops, and isn't getting a full, hard belly after each feeding stick there for a while and as he grows don't increase the amount until you're at a weight where 6 ml is within the 5-7% feeding range and then begin to increase from there.

Does that make sense?

As for age, if I don't know it I wait until eyes open and count that as week 5 and age them from there.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Jerri (11-27-2018), redwuff (12-16-2018)

Great thank you ! He loves to eat and having no problems with bloat or pooping and to be fair we wear some of the formula but I値l hold steady at that amount . I知 still doing night feedings but it痴 ok to skip ? Like 6 hours at night ? I really Appreciate all your help

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jerri from:

redwuff (12-16-2018)

Yes, a six or seven hour break at night is ok to do now.

Harvard is about 7 1/2 weeks old and weighs 140 grams , I give him 8 ccs of formula at each feeding rn every 4 hours except over night . I have a weight to cvs chart but I知 not sure how long I should space his feedings apart . He gets Henry痴 rodent blocks and fresh veggies but he痴 only entertaining The thought of eating them right now and not so crazy about it. Is there a chart on how to spac out their feedings and what veggies they seems to like more over others ?Name:  5BFA9580-267D-4FA6-BDAD-21B952D0688E.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  129.7 KB

Hi Jerri, your baby is as cute as a button. Could we see a side picture of him. He is small at 140 g at 7.5 wks, but looks very healthy. How many times a day are you feeding. As babies get older, you can increase the percentage of formula. All changes in diet is done slowly!

Getting Harvard eating block well is the next most important thing you can do. Do not give him any thing else besides formula, until he is eating block well. There are several types of blocks to choose from. They can be ordered from Chris’s squirrels and More, and Mazuri, Harlan teklad are two good rodent blocks found there. Henry’s healthy pet carries a product called hhb’s. All of these are good nutrition for squirrels. Squirrels are notorious about being bad eaters. This is the stage that you really want to get right. After he is eating block well, then slowly start adding veggies. I start with green veggies first, like broccoli and kale, and lettuce. Then add other veggies.

Sorry, I see that you have him on hhb. Great! Harvard could just be a small guy. So usually they start picking up block cos numbers of feedings are decreased. I don’t want want to advise decreasing number of feedings cos of his size. Cut your Hhb in half and and put fresh hhb in every day. When he is eating 1/2 an hhb then start putting in a whole hhb.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Jerri (12-16-2018)

Name:  EB864804-BA60-45D0-8D20-61940A4C7852.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  72.7 KBName:  9029D01E-3494-4F20-A876-9BCA37A2E9EE.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  107.2 KBName:  EEDBB657-F111-4803-8D52-75E0DD8B67A1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  96.9 KB here are different views . So maybe go up on his formula? I知 doing 8 ccs rn about 6 times day

7 weeks old - 4 feedings per day (every 6 hours)
    8 weeks old - 3 feedings per day (every 8 hours)
    9 weeks old - 2/3 feedings per day (10 hours)
    10 weeks old - 2 per day (12 hours)
    11+ weeks old - 1 per day

Your guy is a little small.. most of mine are around 200g at the start of week 7.
    I would treat him like a 6 week old.. and do up to 11 ml every 5 hours right now.

As they hit this age their tummy gets larger, and they can handle a lot more.
    So it's fine to let him eat 8% of his body weight (11 ml) if he wants it.

As he is a late fall squirrel in Mississippi, you are probably looking at a March release, at around 20 weeks old.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Jerri (12-16-2018)

Thank you so much I’ll start him on the new feeding schedule right away and I do put Henry’s hhb blocks In twice a day but he really just plays with them right now but I’ve read they do that at first