Thread: Blood in Urine

Baileysmomma Guest

Default Blood in Urine

I have a 5 month old female that was found in a pile of leaves at I'm guessing 4 weeks. Her eyes were still closed. I gave her the Fox valley squirrels formula and now she is eating mazuri rodent block and primate biscuts. Not so much the biscuts she eats about one a week she nibbles on it here and there. I provide her fresh greens such as romaine, spinach, arugala, parsley, cilantro and tomatoes, carrots, and a small amount of fruits like pears and flowers. I just noticed today she peed blood and quite a bit. She has fresh clean water daily and gets nuts sparingly like pecans, almonds, hazel nuts, and acorns. She isnt acting like she is sick or in pain but she has peed blood about 3 times. I saw it once on my tv stand and i found 2 spots on the paper in her cage. I have ordered the colloidal silver from amazon today so i will have it in 2 days. My vet wont see her as I am not a certified rehabber, even though the rehabilitation center wouldnt take her the day she was found. I guess they expected her to die and so did I, but she made it. I have access to amonium chloride which I keep on hand to give goats with urinary calculi. Can you please help me with some incite on how to help her before she falls very ill. I have read several people say cranberries, I dont want to throw the medicine cabinet at her but willing to do what it takes. I can get pill form amoxicillin from the feed store. What can I do to help her while iI am waiting for the silver to get to me to help relieve pain and discomfort and how much silver do I provide. I appreciate any and all help you can give me

Default Re: Blood in Urine

I cant be certain, but my guess is it is the acorns discoloring her urine rather than blood. Stop the acorns and see if it disappears. We do not recommend giving acorns as they are susceptible to aflotoxins which can kill a squirrel. In the wild, their mom knows which are good and which are not. With us they trust all we give is ok to eat.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (11-23-2018), Nancy in New York (11-23-2018), stepnstone (11-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
    I have ordered the colloidal silver from amazon today so i will have it in 2 days.
    There is debate about its effectiveness and SAFETY in squirrels. It's a heavy metal and not something they would use naturally.

I've seen the dark red tannin urine before. Omitting the food that causes it will clear it up.

Baileysmomma Guest

Ok I will wait a few days, but it is dark red and looks just like thinned out blood. About how many days do you think I should wait?

I freaked out about a wild who was peeing what looked like blood. It was acorns.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

stepnstone (11-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
    Ok I will wait a few days, but it is dark red and looks just like thinned out blood. About how many days do you think I should wait?
    I'm betting it's the acorns too... freaks us all out until we associate it.
    I have a squee that marks my top step to my back door, it always takes
    me back for a minute. When the acorns are abundant it can look like
    something has been slaughtered out there.
    Without anymore acorns being fed it should clear up in a couple days.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.