Thread: Catching a wild with serious eye issues

Default Catching a wild with serious eye issues

My daughter was out feeding the wilds yesterday and called me to come out to look at one little guy. There is a small grey with both eyes impaired. One is very small/squinty and the other is beginning to look cloudy. Both are red rimmed and he was rubbing them quite a bit. I was able to get fairly close to him, but he seemed to be able to smell my presence. I don't think he can see and if he can it is minimal. I put a hav-a-hart trap out with peanut butter (so it will smell) but fear I won't get him or will get another grey or chipmunk. Has anyone ever successfully captured a grey with a net? Unfortunately my net was left in the back yard this summer and the beavers took it, and it is now woven into their dam. I have a couple of doctor appointments this morning and will be checking in to the board. If anyone thinks a net will work I can stop and get one on my way home. I just hope and pray that I can get this little one because if I don't soon he will be way too easy for the predators to pick off.

Default Re: Catching a wild with serious eye issues

Already caught another grey..... I'm going to remove the trap while I'm not home this morning.

Trap should work. Net might work but I generally have better luck with traps. I rig a 10' piece of string to the "j" bar trigger and pull it in order to try and get the specific squirrel I want.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (11-21-2018)

He showed this afternoon looking even worse and wandered near the trap but not in. I observed him going up a tree and into a knothole, so I placed the trap by the base of the tree. Hopefully we will get him this evening or in the morning. Fingers crossed!!!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baxied from:

TubeDriver (11-21-2018)

Oh goodness, poor little guy.
    Prayers he wil go into the trap tomorrow.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Well, I'm fairly certain that I've caught every other wild but the one that I want. I didn't see him Friday or yesterday, and I was despairing that he was gone. This morning I saw him up a tree, so I set the trap near the base of the tree he was in. I waited for over 2 hours watching with binoculars (yeah, I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts! ), and he finally headed down and was at the base of the tree...… He then jumped and hit the trap; it closed, and he ran up another tree. Again I waited for a long time and he came down but not near the trap and wandered into the woods where I lost him in the fog.

This little buggar breaks my heart as he just rubs and rubs his eyes and is in obvious distress. I braved the black Friday crowds to get a net, so I am ready if I can just get close enough..... I stress and watch for any sight of him so much so that nothing else is getting done.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baxied from:

cava (11-25-2018)