Thread: Outbreak in my pre-release enclosure. Please help identify.

Default Outbreak in my pre-release enclosure. Please help identify.

I have several squirrels in my pre-release enclosure that have come down with a respiratory illness. It started a week ago after a squirrel came to us that appeared fine for a week but then started having a runny nose followed by respiratory distress and death. This squirrel was in close proximity to another that went out into our prerelease enclosure and now shows the same symptoms which have spread to another six squirrels.

Our process takes orphans and places them in sibling groups that come back to us once weaned and are placed in release boxes in large pre-release enclosures so they can be released as a community once they finish wilding up. That being the case, I have approximately 70 squirrels exposed to this illness. None of the other locations with squirrels are having issues.

Our vet is out on vacation. We are treating with Doxycycline in the water to address respiratory symptoms and echinacea for immune support but are shooting in the dark. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SquirrelRefuge.org - Dedicated to making the world a better place, one squirrel at a time

Default Re: Outbreak in my pre-release enclosure. Please help identify.

You may want to read the posts here: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...rel-Bordatella

If this is what it is, you are on the right track with the doxy. I think that dosing at least the sick ones should be done in a more accurate manner than in the water though. I know giving 70 squirrels twice a day doses of meds is basically a full time job, but those that are ill need ALL their meds.

What sort of flooring is in the pre-release? One of our old members had terrible issues that were traced (as best as it could be) to mold infested shredded bark mulch which was being used in the outdoor release cage. If I recall - this was some years back - doxy turned out to be the solution there as well.

I would also add in some children's Benadryl to help dry up secretions and possibly help clear the lungs, too.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (11-20-2018), TubeDriver (11-21-2018)

Default Re: Outbreak in my pre-release enclosure. Please help identify.

Hi Squirrel Refuge; though not about the issue you have posted, your timely post has resolved how to ensure that this vital info gets to your group.

This afternoon the CDC put out an alert that E. coli contamination has been found in Romaine Lettuce, that have been the cause of a number of deaths. Inportant details here:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ortant-details
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 11-21-2018 at 02:01 PM.