Thread: Analiese

Default Analiese

Not sure what is wrong. She has been pacing around up and down in her cage all night. I am not sure what is going on. Hope and all the rehab squirrels are fine in their beds but analiese is all over. Not like her and can’t figure out what’s wrong. I gave her a snack she ate and back to being all over. Any ideas to what could be bothering her?

Default Re: Analiese

Can you give more details about her. She seems agitated which could be caused by bunch of things from not feeling good, hearing a noise, change in temperature, an odor, etc.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (11-20-2018)

Ants? I know it's not really the season but I have had this happen before with restlessness in the middle of the night in a particular squirrel cage, only to find the little bastards crawling up and down the bars....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (11-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Can you give more details about her. She seems agitated which could be caused by bunch of things from not feeling good, hearing a noise, change in temperature, an odor, etc.
    What’s the background with her? This sounds like classic behavior for a squirrel wanting release. I know it’s not the typical time of year to be in estrus, but who knows how that can be altered in an indoor environment?

As Cava said, changes in temperature or observation of surrounding activities and other animals can trigger the pacing, unsettled behavior you describe.

Is there any chance a mouse can get into her cage?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Sorry I’ve been Mia i have not been feeling to good. Which I was wondering if she could since me up all night sick. She is in living room soo I have not woke her. She has been pacing during day too. Seem some better and she has lost some weight. No night snacks. Lol I just worry she will spring a seizure with all this hyperness. That’s one reason she was spayed some of u may recall so hormones would not affect her cerebral disease sending her into seizures. Now she is almost 8 yrs old and So now she is acting high strung I am worried about seizures. I just hope she lets up soon.

Her poops and pees are OK?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

In current studies in rats, a closer ratio of Calcium to magnesium 0f (3.3:1) was shown to result in increased bone density, bone compression, and calcium bone retention when compared with the old standard of (10:1) Ca:Mg ratio in the same study.

In feeding block diets, save for HT Envigo, that notably contains this closer ratio, it is needful to supplement with magnesium to bring up the ratio of the whole diet to offset the (10:1) standard ratio from 1995 that is still not updated to reflect the findings and conclusions of the current rat diet research. For though the whole foods portion does bring up the ratio a bit, the whole foods portion is not sufficient to bring up magnesium to support this minimum Ca:Mg ratio.

In adding supplemental magnesium to the diet, begin with a low amount of(1/64 Tsp.), increasing it by the same amount every few days till bowel tolerance is reached that is indicated when the stool becomes loose. Then back down by (1/32 Tsp.) measure of this powder source to firm up the stool.

This magnesium source used in my research diet now in its 6th year.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Magn.../dp/B000UYC3MY

mini Teaspoon sources:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X1P9S...ubtag=53408229

https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...less+steel+set

In spaying our female it resulted in MBD to manifest in back spasms. why is that spaying results in a significant drop in estrogen levels that calcium absorption plays a major role in. We had fed block, added a calcium block to chew on and even included calcium in the water. Sadly at about the same time the water source was no longer available that contributed to the drop in calcium in the diet. If this decrease in estrogen isn't compensated by supporting with optimum D3 at 50 IU daily, and increase in calcium, MBD will result. It two two years for the first condition to result, and from there two years till our girl pasted from MBD due to being spayed. Sadly vets don't appear to know that this happens in female rodents, as to present a serious imbalance that can then only be corrected by compensating calcium. In addition, Calcium citrate, or CCM is needful to include in the diet for these forms lend more support in getting the calcium into the bones, as does magnesium in closer ratio, and remaining longer in the bloodstream also.

That’s one reason she was spayed some of u may recall so hormones would not affect her cerebral disease sending her into seizures. Now she is almost 8 yrs old and So now she is acting high strung I am worried about seizures.
    There is a study I just saw tonight that relates that anxiety is caused in female rats put into menopause.

For inhibiting seizure activity, increasr magnesium in the diet, which also lends support to reducing anxiety and hypertension.

These are the studies that support this conclusion on the negative impact of spaying female rats.

(In the "Bone changes" study, 'castrated refers to both spaying in female rats, and neutering in male rats)

Sadly, veterinarians are not aware of this issue, considering that it is better for the animal if they are spayed; yet this isn't the case in female rodents.

In the study with Pycnogenol in rats, PYC was found to inhibit bone loss in female rats that were put into menopause.

Dosage from 1 to 3 mg. noted in study (respectively 2 to 6 drops from milliliter syringes) noted in study.

3 to 4 drops from a milliliter syringe would be a good place to start. Give drops in water measure with meals.

This can be added (stirred in) to plain yogurt divided between the AM and PM meals

Option on page to ships to US. https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-Pycnogenol
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SammysMom (11-23-2018)

I can attest to the fact that adding magnesium to my NR Owena's diet drastically reduced her seizure activity from 1-2 per day to 1 every 5-6 weeks! I used almonds -- 4-5 per day coated with Calcium Carbonate or Calcium Citrate later on. It certainly made the last two years of her life far more pleasant and healthy than before.

Diggie's Friend: what is the easiest product jbtartell can use to supplement her squirrel's diet with magnesium, and in what dosage?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Nancy in New York (11-23-2018)

Magnesium citrate, a highly absorbable and bioavailable source of magnesium is the form that has been used in my N.A. tree squirrel research diet.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Magn.../dp/B000UYC3MY

Coupon available on this website for Pycnogenol Organika liquid

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/?mc_c...eid=8095aec65e

Short of adding up all the sources of calcium and magnesium included in the diet daily by measure by calculating the amount of calcium and magnesium based upon their nutritional data for each of them to determine their totals to be able to determine the amount of the magnesium to add to the diet to support a Ca:Mg ratio between 2.65: 1 and (3.3:1), magnesium bowel tolerance is the 2nd most accurate way for each squirrel with their individual diet to support optimum Ca:Mg ratio of approx. (3.3 :1).

This is very easy to do, just follow these directions.

Diggie's Friend wrote:

In adding supplemental magnesium to the diet, begin with a low amount of(1/64 Tsp.), increasing it by the same amount every few days till bowel tolerance is reached that is indicated when the stool becomes loose. Then back down by (1/32 Tsp.) measure of this powder source to firm up the stool

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (11-23-2018)