Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car struck squirrel in Denver

Default Re: Car struck squirrel in Denver

Since the Prednisone is on its way it would be a good idea to get a weight on the squirrel so the medication can be precisely dosed.

I will tomorrow morning...it’s moving much better and at least his tail it’s ok. Sometimes he move one of the legs when I grab him, and it’s sleping like a frog a couple of times that’s mean he’s having better recovery or not?
    It’s eating baby food his favorite is avocado ,pear and pineapple ,drinking more water and I’m giving him ensure butter pecan.
    Loves peanuts and grapes peeled

Can I assume you do know it's a he and he is able to void both urine and bowel ok?
    If he is wetting himself be sure to keep him cleaned off so he does not get urine scald.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

redwuff (11-24-2018)

Unhappy Re: Car struck squirrel in Denver

Yes! It’s a boy and he is using his bladders and vowels too. I didn’t know about clean him in the area but I cleaned his towel and T-shirt everyday
    I will clean .can I use a wipe or a washcloth ?

Quote Originally Posted by 22Cutesquirrel View Post
    Yes! It’s a boy and he is using his bladders and vowels too. I didn’t know about clean him in the area but I cleaned his towel and T-shirt everyday
    I will clean .can I use a wipe or a washcloth ?
    Either...
    Wipes are ok as long as they are not perfume scented (if they even come that way)
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Thank you so much stepnstone for all the tips,advices and for the medicine who will come Friday, today al 12 pm it’s gonna be the last dose for ibuprofen .
    I need make a lot of questions cause I’m very concern about being neglected and off course I want him alive.
    He has troubles for sleep ,that’s normal?
    I know that squirrels can sleep 12 hours but in normal habitat.
    He likes being down the towel all the time.
    I don’t know if I’m giving enough water .
    There’s a schedule about the water ? Every how many hours I should give him?
    I give him banana,apple and nuts,ensure pecan butter ,baby food (he’s favorite ) but there a quantity I should give him per day?
    The heating pad:
    It’s ok in low?
    Under him or under the towel?

Sorry about the several question I have. I hope somebody or all can answer me.
    Thank you

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 22Cutesquirrel from:

stepnstone (11-22-2018)

Use this set up for him. Plastic container with holes, lots of fleece or t shirts inside for him to pee into and burrow under. Heating pad should be under HALF of the bin (never in the bin) and set on low at all times. He can choose to be on the heated half or move to the cooler side if needed. There is a photo of this here: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

You can provide water at all times using a shallow dish (again why a larger space would be beneficial). You can weigh it with small rocks inside and the water on top. Here is a list of foods they can have that are safe for him. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

A gram scale is also a kitchen scale which can be bought at most big box stores for under $20. It is useful for dosing meds but you can also determine if you are feeding enough because you can weigh daily to be sure he's keeping his weight up.

If you are willing to take him somewhere we can see if there are squirrel safe vets in your area willing to x ray and examine him.

You don't need to use the ORS or homemade pedialyte solution for more than 24-48 hours. It's used during first response and he should be on only water now.

As always, keep him in a safe container with more light or a cage, off the ground and away from pets, noise and children to reduce stress. Stress will impede healing and recovery.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

22Cutesquirrel (11-23-2018), Nancy in New York (11-24-2018), Spanky (11-22-2018), stepnstone (11-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    A gram scale is also a kitchen scale which can be bought at most big box stores for under $20. It is useful for dosing meds but you can also determine if you are feeding enough because you can weigh daily to be sure he's keeping his weight up.
    Do not forget to post a weight as soon as possible. Last thing you want is to wait around hours or days for dosing information on the Prednisone after you stop the ibuprofen!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (11-22-2018), Nancy in New York (11-22-2018)

Spanky we couldn’t weight him.uf you want I can send you a picture! .the prednisone come right now, please tell me how I can give it to him
    And how is the dose every how many ours from the other .i have four pills.

Thank you

​Thank you stepnstone !

Quote Originally Posted by 22Cutesquirrel View Post
    Spanky we couldn’t weight him.uf you want I can send you a picture! .the prednisone come right now, please tell me how I can give it to him
    And how is the dose every how many ours from the other .i have four pills.

Thank you
    Did you send Spanky a picture and get dosing instructions yet?

I am not where I can help now. She has a scale but needs to find the switch to grams or share weight in pounds (ounces).

If you have not received dosing help I will pm you my email, send me a weight, a picture to go by, something.
    Having the prednisone and your little not having the advantage of it is ridiculous!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

cava (11-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I am not where I can help now. She has a scale but needs to find the switch to grams or share weight in pounds (ounces).

A simple typing "(weight in lbs or ounces) = grams? " into Google will convert it for her!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank for helping out with meds. As some of you might know, this one was passed on to a local rehab facility. I asked the finder to please update me with news re was the squirrel euthanized or not, but she has not heard yet. Hopefully will have news soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12