Thread: Flying squirrel release

Wnafly Guest

Default Flying squirrel release

How many weeks old should you release a healthy flying squirrel? Mine is about 14 weeks now and I'm in northwest il. and winter is setting in. I'm going to my brothers house in Texas for thanksgiving. I can leave him with my brother and his wife(she's a game warden) I'm assuming she'll know where families of flyers live in the state park she works in. I really want to keep him but his happiness is more important than my selfishness. Thank You in advance.

Default Re: Flying squirrel release

Quote Originally Posted by Wnafly View Post
    How many weeks old should you release a healthy flying squirrel? Mine is about 14 weeks now and I'm in northwest il. and winter is setting in. I'm going to my brothers house in Texas for thanksgiving. I can leave him with my brother and his wife(she's a game warden) I'm assuming she'll know where families of flyers live in the state park she works in. I really want to keep him but his happiness is more important than my selfishness. Thank You in advance.
    Flyers should be released in a group. They live in colonies and this provides them the best chance of survival (mixed sex group). The chances of them being accepted into a colony are pretty low.

I suggest you try to contact local rehabbers to try to find a group he can be incorporated into for release.

Are you near Princeton, IL?

Wnafly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Flyers should be released in a group. They live in colonies and this provides them the best chance of survival (mixed sex group). The chances of them being accepted into a colony are pretty low.

I suggest you try to contact local rehabbers to try to find a group he can be incorporated into for release.

Are you near Princeton, IL?
    I'm from the Quad Cities. About 11/2 hours from Princeton. Is there a good rehabber there? Do you have contact info. For them? Thank you for your response.

Yes, please contact them. If they cannot help you directly hopefully they can help to locate a group that your little guy can join!
    https://www.2ndhandranch.com/contact-us.html

If you can't link him up with a colony, you will need to keep him. Flyers bond to people so he won't suffer if he doesn't return to the wild. BUT, you would need to familiarize yourself with the diet, their care and have the commitment to a precious animal that can live 15 years.

Spanky is right... 2nd Hand Ranch and Rescue is THE best. She is a member here but rarely stops in as she is much too busy saving animals.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.