Thread: Unusual Tooth

Default Unusual Tooth

A friend sent me this picture of a squirrel with this tooth problem. The squirrel didn’t have this problem when it was released. Luckily it stuck around and the rehabber noticed the tooth problem and was able to recapture it. It’s going to make a visit to Dr. E on Sunday for treatment.

I wanted to share the picture because I had never seen anything like this and figured others hadn’t either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (11-14-2018), Grinderhead (11-14-2018), TubeDriver (11-14-2018)

Default Re: Unusual Tooth

Poor, poor baby. That must be sooo painful.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Capturing and treating is the only way to save his life. Good luck!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Scooterzmom (11-14-2018)

Did it grow out of his mouth then curl around to cut into the chin or did it cut through the chin then curl up toward the mouth?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Holy crap! . Thank goodness he stuck around and can get help. Can she clip that damned thing off?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    Did it grow out of his mouth then curl around to cut into the chin or did it cut through the chin then curl up toward the mouth?
    I’m not sure. I haven’t examined the squirrels mouth. I wondered if it might be a third incisor tooth that grew out from the gum line. It also looks like it could have curled inside the mouth and then grown through the chin. Either way I would think it needs to be surgically removed. I will certainly update once Dr. E evaluates the situation.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Grinderhead (11-14-2018)

WoW! That's incredible, poor baby...

See if they (or Dr. E) will take more detailed pictures before removal.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (11-15-2018)

I had a release return with a terrible injury last year that turned out to be a gunshot wound to her jaw. Her incisors were gone but when her lower teeth grew back, they grew through the underside of her jaw just like in the picture. But with Opal, her lower jaw was already traumatically injured. I took her to Dr E but her jaw was so compromised she had to have her incisors had to be removed. I hope this baby has a better prognosis; she certainly will be getting the best care.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...highlight=Opal

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-15-2018), Nancy in New York (11-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I had a release return with a terrible injury last year that turned out to be a gunshot wound to her jaw. Her incisors were gone but when her lower teeth grew back, they grew through the underside of her jaw just like in the picture. But with Opal, her lower jaw was already traumatically injured. I took her to Dr E but her jaw was so compromised she had to have her incisors had to be removed. I hope this baby has a better prognosis; she certainly will be getting the best care.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...highlight=Opal
    Actually this squirrel had an injury (a cut) on the chin when she was originally found. It makes me wonder if it might be the same situation as Opal.

Default Update

This from a friend in Florida who loves squirrels.

“This squirrel had it's jaw damaged by a chainsaw causing one of the incisors to grow from under the skin at an angle. A host of people got together to get her to Dr Emerson on Sunday who generously volunteered her off time to do the surgery. Depending on how the remaining teeth wear will determine if release is possible. If not the rehabber volunteered to keep her as a non-releasable.”

I believe her name was “Lucky Lucy”. Thanks to a compassionate vet and careing people, her luck keeps on getting better and better.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Mel1959 (11-24-2018), SugarMom (11-24-2018)