Thread: Chipmunk Advice Needed

Default Chipmunk Advice Needed

Approx about 2 months ago my sister rescued a chipmunk out of her next door neighbors cats mouth. She saw it with it in its mouth, chased it and it dropped the chippy. The Chipmunk seemed dazed but ok. She left it in her back yard. The next day she goes back out there and low and behold its still in her back yard and she can walk right up on it. It doesn't seem right. When it attempts to walk it moves slowly and kinda falls over itself. It has a slight head tilt as well. So she scoops it up into a box and brings it to me since I have more animal experience and she doesn't know what to do with it. If she were to leave it outside it would of been a sitting duck...literally.

Anyhow, I have had the chippy now for almost two months thinking that it might just need some time to get over these neurological symptoms it seems to exhibit. There were no visible punctures on the little girl but she couldn't walk right at all and her head tilts to one side. She has a great appetite and drinks lots of water but she is quite neurotic unfortunately. She often runs in small circles over and over and over. She does this behavior alot. She seems to be able to move around better than she did when I first got her but she still has a head tilt and often runs these circle patterns in the cage I have her in. She sometimes does it excessively. I worry for her and I don't understand why she does this. I can only reason that the cat damaged her somehow.

I don't think she is able to be put back outside due to her issues as that cat or another one will no doubt get her easily. I don't know what to do for her. I can provide her with shelter and warmth, food and water but I don't think she's happy. Any advice or information is welcome from anyone who has experience with Chipmunks.

Default Re: Chipmunk Advice Needed

No, don't put it back.

Though a number of things can cause these specific symptoms, an inner ear infection (common in rats) can cause head tilt, balance issues, and circling.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/tre...nfections-rats

http://www.afrma.org/med_labyrinthitis.htm

Thanks. I do appreciate the information. I work at a vets office but I am afraid its tricky to get help for it as they are not "Wildlife" vets and they don't want to cross any legal boundaries by doing so. It's possible it could be an ear infection. I don't notice her scratching at her ears or messing with them at all. I will see if the vet can atleast look inside of her ears for me to see how they look. I will know whether or not she needs treatment based on what the vet sees I guess.

If its not an ear infection, then it's something neurologic and most likely permanent. I would never put her back and into harms way. I will keep her as long as I need to, to make sure she is safe.

She is quite cute. I just want her to be happy. I am working on getting her a better cage so she has more options and things to do.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Missy185 from:

Diggie's Friend (11-12-2018)

True, if it's not an inner ear infection it could be permanent.

Head tilt, often called “wry neck,” is another sign of illness in rats. It is usually caused by an inner ear infection, but may also be caused by complications of respiratory infection, pituitary tumors, or even by a stroke. The rat should be seen by a veterinarian to determine the proper course of treatment.
    https://www.msdvetmanual.com/all-oth...h-care-of-rats

How does her breathing sound? Is there any foul odor coming from the ears?

Does she react to sound not involving air pressure or vibration?

Quote Originally Posted by Missy185 View Post
    Approx about 2 months ago my sister rescued a chipmunk out of her next door neighbors cats mouth. She saw it with it in its mouth, chased it and it dropped the chippy. The Chipmunk seemed dazed but ok. She left it in her back yard. The next day she goes back out there and low and behold its still in her back yard and she can walk right up on it. It doesn't seem right. When it attempts to walk it moves slowly and kindafalls over itself. It has a slight head tiltas well. So she scoops it up into a box and brings it to me since I have more animal experience and she doesn't know what to do with it. If she were to leave it outside it would of been a sitting duck...literally.

Anyhow, I have had the chippy now for almost two months thinking that it might just need some time to get over these neurological symptoms it seems to exhibit. There were no visible punctures on the little girl but she couldn't walk right at all and her head tilts to one side. She has a great appetite and drinks lots of water but she is quite neurotic unfortunately. She often runs in small circles over and over and over. She does this behavior alot. She seems to be able to move around better than she did when I first got her but she still has a head tilt and often runs these circle patterns in the cage I have her in. She sometimes does it excessively. I worry for her and I don't understand why she does this. I can only reason that the cat damaged her somehow.

I don't think she is able to be put back outside due to her issues as that cat or another one will no doubt get her easily. I don't know what to do for her. I can provide her with shelter and warmth, food and water but I don't think she's happy. Any advice or information is welcome from anyone who has experience with Chipmunks.

All classic signs of head trauma, which obviously caused neurological damage.
    Many times this condition can be substantially minimized with the use of Prednisone IF treated asap.
    As with any suspected head injury the sooner one can reduce swelling and inflammation the better
    chance one has to reduce or avoid permanent damage. I can't say if after two months it would help
    but I personally wouldn't rule out a trial.
    The other concern is the chippy was in the cats mouth, although you did not see any visible punctures
    can not say there wasn't. It is pretty well known that these tiny punctures seal over fast and often go
    completely undetected unless a scab or abscess develops. A cats slava contains Pastuerella which is a
    bacteria deadly to squirrels which does include your chippy. Anytime a cat has come into contact with a
    squirrel a course of antibiotic is always recommended. Again, I can't say an ab would be warranted at this
    point but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Do be aware with many head trauma's such as you describe eventually go into seizure activity without some
    type of treatment and sometimes even with. Some can live for a time with the disability, some do not.

With the lack of quality mobility you describe I'd personally be inclined to try a treatment trial.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SquirrelDad (11-13-2018)

According to veterinary medicine with an inner ear infection, the eye on the side of the infection would likely not be able to blink due to the nerve that

passes through the inner ear also being effected by the infection.

To test the eye if needed to see if she blinks, using cue tip wetted (not sopping) with saline solution, gently touch the inner corner of the eye.

If she blinks then the head tilt and circling would likely not have been caused from an inner ear infection.

Again not saying there isn't a 'neuro' issue, just want to be sure that an ear infection wasn't the reason that she got caught by the cat in the first place,

being easy prey from resulting in the head tilt, imbalance, and circling.