Thread: Little Ree's Born Free Story or Can a Wild Squirrel be Too Fat?

Bex Guest

Default Little Ree's Born Free Story or Can a Wild Squirrel be Too Fat?

Hi fellow squirrel lovers,
    I was captivated by the movie Born Free when I was a girl and I find myself humming the theme as I watch little
    Reeree run up and down the neighborhood trees and along the fences. She's had access to the outdoors since about 8 weeks
    and now lives in the Pine tree - the one I found her under in August. Thanks to this Board I felt confident about both nutrition and the process by which to "soft" release her. Today another milestone: she was socializing with two other wild squirrels, and when an apex predator (large cat) appear she froze on a tree trunk right up next to one of them, making them look, I realized, like a giant squirrel. They held this position until the cat moved on. And I had my Elsa moment : my little girl can make it as a wild squirrel...now will she bring me her babies to meet? A mom can dream....
    Meantime, my friends have been giving me grief about how "fat" she is - until I point out her buddies are also putting on their winter fat. Since we live in a mild climate, is this healthy for them? Does anyone have any info on if wild squirrels can indeed be too fat? She does get a lot of excerise... but yeah, she does have a Buddha belly.
    Thanks ! Bex Name:  IMG_7039.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  148.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Little Ree's Born Free Story or Can a Wild Squirrel be Too Fat?

Little Ree is beautiful and she will probably loose that extra weight in no time out there. I have seen squirrels that are rather portly when released and within a few months, they have slimmed down quite a bit. Of course if she eats a lot of treats, it may take a little longer. Squirels are amazing with their instincts and even ones that have been raised in captivity seem to learn the social hierarchy quickly. I’m so glad to hear she is doing well out there. That is the most wonderful gift you can give a rehabbed squirrel, a second chance to enjoy the trees.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Scooterzmom (11-12-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.