Thread: Help with Nugget 3.5 years old poss injury

Default Help with Nugget 3.5 years old poss injury

HI I have not been here in a long time, but wanted to ask what you thought of my Nugget and see if you could help...
    He has been a very healthy, active, fresh little boy who loves to play and go out on his leash, hide his nuts, run around, etc. Suddenly he does not want to come out of his bed, only when I make him, to eat a little and go back, his tail is drooping slightly, today he was licking and chattering, discomfort, back injury?? seizure?? does not want to play or do anything but stay in his bed, I think he is in some pain, or has some seizure activity, he had some brain damage as a baby but has been FINE all of his life except for some balance and sight issues.
    I don't know, just need help figuring it out so i can help him. I started him on hemp oil yesterday.
    thank you, Carrie
    CARRIE

Default Re: Help with Nugget 3.5 years old poss injury

Can you tell us what his regular diet is? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfairy View Post
    HI I have not been here in a long time, but wanted to ask what you thought of my Nugget and see if you could help...
    He has been a very healthy, active, fresh little boy who loves to play and go out on his leash, hide his nuts, run around, etc. Suddenly he does not want to come out of his bed, only when I make him, to eat a little and go back, his tail is drooping slightly, today he was licking and chattering, discomfort, back injury?? seizure?? does not want to play or do anything but stay in his bed, I think he is in some pain, or has some seizure activity, he had some brain damage as a baby but has been FINE all of his life except for some balance and sight issues.
    I don't know, just need help figuring it out so i can help him. I started him on hemp oil yesterday.
    thank you, Carrie
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Can you tell me about his diet, sound suspicious for MBD.
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to farm mom from:

stepnstone (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by farm mom View Post
    Can you tell me about his diet, sound suspicious for MBD.
    Ok he is at the vet (where I work ) today and had xrays, I am thinking MBD also, I have had 5+ non releasables and this is the first time I have had this happen, I have a great calcium supplement here, its called Seaweed Calcium by Animal Essentials , its says to give 3 grams (1 teaspoon) per pound of dog food, how would that translate for Nugget?
    He has been eating corn a lot lately, and the symptoms fit, I feel ignorant that I did not suspect this from the start, as he was acting injured, but it fits...............please guide me as to helping him get back to normal.
    He seems painful, he if off balance, his tail is flopped, he has now injured it, has a long scrape, I want to help my baby boy, thank you
    CARRIE

MBD treatment (see MBD in the Specific Ailments Forum) begins with (500 mg.) of elemental calcium, given in 5 divided portions of (100 mg.) each

over 24 hours.

The same inverted ratio of Phosphorus to Calcium that causes the bones to give up calcium resulting in MBD over time,

can also promote the formation of kidney stones concurrently.

Calcium citrate, another form of calcium, may be a better option to use to treat for MBD, as it also inhibits the formation of kidney stones.

It also stays in the bloodstream longer, which a key factor to overcoming MBD. Calcium citrate has no bitter taste to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Calc.../dp/B000UYA1T6

Calcium citrate powder from "Frontier Naturals", reduced to 3/4 Tsp. provides 500 mg. of elemental calcium.

This likewise used a divided dose, but would be six equal portions of total daily dose (3/4 Tsp. = 6/8 Tsp.) six equal portions of (1/8 Tsp.).

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SquirrelDad (11-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    MBD treatment (see MBD in the Specific Ailments Forum) begins with giving 500 mg. elemental calcium, given in 5 divided portions of 100 mg. each

over 24 hours.

The same inverted ratio of Phosphorus to Calcium that causes the bones to give up calcium resulting in MBD over time,

can also promote the formation of kidney stones concurrently.

Calcium citrate, another form of calcium, may be a better option to use to treat for MBD, as it also inhibits the formation of kidney stones.

It also stays in the bloodstream longer, which a key factor to overcoming MBD. Calcium citrate has no bitter taste to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Calc.../dp/B000UYA1T6

Calcium citrate powder from "Frontier Naturals", reduced to 3/4 Tsp. provides 500 mg. of elemental calcium.

This likewise used a divided dose, but would be six equal portions of total daily dose (3/4 Tsp. = 6/8 Tsp.) six equal portions of (1/8 Tsp.).

thank you for the info..........so just to be clear, does he need 500mgs per DAY? or 100mg?
    CARRIE

MBD protocol: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09) Please read post for other details.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

[B](500 mg.) a day, with (100 mg.) from calcium carbonate 500 mg. elemental source, or

1/8 Tsp. Calcium citrate (Frontier Naturals) six times a day totaling 500 mg. elemental calcium.

Since it is likely you don't have Calcium citrate powder on hand, and not delay in treating for MBD should it be confirmed, use either

Calcium carbonate, or Calcium citrate in tablet form, which pulverized to powder also supports giving a multi-divided dose.

500mg per DAY, 100mg per dose. Important to give it to him throughout the day to keep his blood calcium levels stable and consistent.

Thank you for all your advice, I have not had to deal with this problem with my nr's before....................may I ask how long it might be before I see any improvement? His tail is still drooping, lethargic/painful, hungry will not eat block of course, so I am dissolving and mixing with multi milk in a syringe, (he hates that) still losing weight, still off balance. not worse, but not really better, .........
    Will he always be like this even after treatment? will he ever be the same or enjoy himself again?
    CARRIE

Also, because he does seem to be in some pain or discomfort, would you recommend giving him Metacam? I don't like to give too much of this but he may need help with the discomfort and pain for a little while..............
    CARRIE

If the MBD was caught early enough he can fully recover. The full treatment may take several months. If it’s MBD, he didn’t develop it over a couple of days so it won’t be resolved in a couple of days. You should see some improvement within a few days, but don’t stop treatment.

MBD is painful. A heating pad set on low underneath his sleeping quarters with the cord outside of the cage or protected so he can’t chew it, might help with the pain. Do you have any metacam or tramadol? Both will help with pain. Someone on here can help you dose if you have the strength of the medicine and the weight of the squirrel. He could also have pain from hurting himself. The pain medication will help him heal and keep him comfortable.

Stop all corn and nuts while you are treating him for MBD.

You mentioned that you had an x ray done. Did it confirm an MBD diagnosis?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (11-17-2018)

thank you...............I did consult 2 vets and xrays were abnormal, and they felt it all pointed to MBD.
    I am going to get rid of his food, nuts, seeds, he will be very unhappy, but we are determined to change his diet and persist with treatment so he can start feeling better!
    I wish he could be like his old, happy, feisty, fresh self................we are going to do what we need to do, thank you.
    CARRIE

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfairy from:

redwuff (11-16-2018)

Here is the link to the healthy diet for captive squirrels:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels