Thread: Gabapentin dose?

Default Gabapentin dose?

Hi, I've had a squirrel for 6 years now, he had a broken/fractured back when we found him and doesn't have the use of his lower body (able to go to the toilet)... As the years have gone on, he has seemed to get a bit of feeling back, for example, he can twitch his tail a little now and wasn't able to for the first year or so. He's a happy boy who gets around no problem using his front legs! However, he started nibbling at his penis and testicles a week or so back... We treated for mites in case there was an issue there, and been using antibacterial cream to try to prevent infection and used metacam at a rehabbers advice in case it was being caused by pain. It seemed to work for a bit and he started to heal. However yesterday, he has bitten himself so badly again. I've been researching (mainly on this wonderful resource!) and read that gabapentin might help. I have access to some 300g tablets,... Was wondering if anyone knows what the squirrel dose would be? And presumably stop metacam if he's on that? Many thanks for reading this and look forward to hearing from you!

Default Re: Gabapentin dose?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosh View Post
    Hi, I've had a squirrel for 6 years now, he had a broken/fractured back when we found him and doesn't have the use of his lower body (able to go to the toilet)... As the years have gone on, he has seemed to get a bit of feeling back, for example, he can twitch his tail a little now and wasn't able to for the first year or so. He's a happy boy who gets around no problem using his front legs! However, he started nibbling at his penis and testicles a week or so back... We treated for mites in case there was an issue there, and been using antibacterial cream to try to prevent infection and used metacam at a rehabbers advice in case it was being caused by pain. It seemed to work for a bit and he started to heal. However yesterday, he has bitten himself so badly again. I've been researching (mainly on this wonderful resource!) and read that gabapentin might help. I have access to some 300g tablets,... Was wondering if anyone knows what the squirrel dose would be? And presumably stop metacam if he's on that? Many thanks for reading this and look forward to hearing from you!
    I can dose this if you give me the weight of your squirrel in grams.
    How long has he been on Metacam?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

TubeDriver (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I can dose this if you give me the weight of your squirrel in grams.
    How long has he been on Metacam?

Hi, thanks so much - really appreciate it! 417g and has been on metacam for a week today (had some today). He has lost weight over this last year, so have been feeding him avacado etc on advice to give him a boost!

Hi, thanks so much - really appreciate it! 417g and has been on metacam for a week today (had some today). He has lost weight over this last year, so have been feeding him avacado etc on advice to give him a boost!
    Give me a minute and I will pm you the dosage for Gabapentin 300mg for a 417 grams squirrel.

Edit: Dosing sent.

While you can give Gabapentin and Metacam together, my concern is that he NOT be on the Metacam so long.
    I would stop the Metacam and just go with the Gabapentin for now.
    Are you giving Metacam for pain?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

TubeDriver (11-09-2018)

While you can give Gabapentin and Metacam together, my concern is that he NOT be on the Metacam so long.
    I would stop the Metacam and just go with the Gabapentin for now.
    Are you giving Metacam for pain?
    Amazing! Thank you so much - what a wonderful caring community! :group hug How long is it safe to keep him on the gabapentin for? We're making an e collar too (that we saw on here!) and will try that too. Yes, the rehabber said to try metacam in case he was biting because of pain. Ok, I'll take him off that then, when I start the gabapentin. Shall I keep with the cream (it's flamazine - 1.0% silver sulfadiazine) to prevent infection? I've been putting some vasaline on the top to keep it on... Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rosh from:

Nancy in New York (11-09-2018)

Amazing! Thank you so much - what a wonderful caring community! :group hug How long is it safe to keep him on the gabapentin for? We're making an e collar too (that we saw on here!) and will try that too. Yes, the rehabber said to try metacam in case he was biting because of pain. Ok, I'll take him off that then, when I start the gabapentin. Shall I keep with the cream (it's flamazine - 1.0% silver sulfadiazine) to prevent infection? I've been putting some vasaline on the top to keep it on... Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
    From what I understand, (though I could be wrong)
    you can keep them on Gabapentin indefinitely.
    Let me direct someone to this thread that knows more
    about this drug than I.
    Silver Sulfadiazine is perfect, but I would just continue to apply
    if it comes off rather that putting Vaseline on top of it.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (11-09-2018)

Gabapentin can be used long term for chronic pain or anti-seizure effects. However, the longer you take it, the more important a slow taper is needed if stopping it. Like any medicine, there can be side effects including drowsiness and nausea among others.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Nancy in New York (11-09-2018)

From what I understand, (though I could be wrong)
    you can keep them on Gabapentin indefinitely.
    Let me direct someone to this thread that knows more
    about this drug than I.
    Silver Sulfadiazine is perfect, but I would just continue to apply
    if it comes off rather that putting Vaseline on top of it.
    Yes to indefinitely, tapering depends on how long term.
    Annie was on it for several weeks due to her amputation, she never chewed
    at the site and Doc said tapering wasn't necessary for her term of use.
    She did sleep a lot on it, I observed no adverse reaction after her coming off it.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Milo's Mom (11-09-2018), Nancy in New York (11-09-2018)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Yes to indefinitely, tapering depends on how long term.
    Annie was on it for several weeks due to her amputation, she never chewed
    at the site and Doc said tapering wasn't necessary for her term of use.
    She did sleep a lot on it, I observed no adverse reaction after her coming off it.
    Blaze was on it for weeks (at a sedative level) and I didn't taper either. No issues coming off it for him either.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

stepnstone (11-09-2018)

Good to know it was not an issue in these cases. Still, Gabapentin withdrawal is not pleasant and might occur with abrupt cessation. Not saying it is a certainty, duration and dose may play issues and some people just do better than others with this sort of thing. But we all know that squirrels are masters at hiding discomfort and pain. Squirrels might be more resistant to this withdrawal than humuns but the basic mechanism of action is at play whether in human or squirrel brains. So my advice would be to do a gradual Gabapentin taper and not risk withdrawal symptoms (especially if the Gabapentin was used to control seizures).
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Nancy in New York (11-09-2018), SammysMom (11-09-2018)

Having suffered the abrupt stop of gabapentin myself years ago, I agree, a taper is for the best comfort.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Nancy in New York (11-09-2018), TubeDriver (11-10-2018)

Some great advice! Thank you so much... I'll certainly err on the side of caution and do a gradual withdrawal should it help him. I'm waiting for the meds to arrive... Hopefully Monday as it was posted out to me yesterday. Really great hearing everyone's experience of using gabapentin!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rosh from:

Nancy in New York (11-11-2018)