Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with orphaned Malaysian Squirrels!

Default Re: Need help with orphaned Malaysian Squirrels!

@Diggie's Friend, thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your research and help for my squirrels

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pinkspacecat15 from:

Diggie's Friend (11-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    If she can get some wild edibles from her area that may be better than store bought veggies, especially if they are mainly fruit eaters.

Pinkspacecat15, can you get any of the above mentioned wild foods (bamboo leaves, jack fruit)? Our squirrels would only naturally get fruit at a certain time of year, yours have different seasons which offer fruit longer or year round even so the advice to withhold fruit until they eat their veggies may not be the best advice for your Malaysian squirrels.
    Yes, it is easy for me to get those types of wild food here as they grow all year round. The fruit I can buy from the supermarket, and there are bamboo/other wild trees growing all around. I live on the edge of a big city in a green belt with a small forest nearby so I should be able to scout out those trees.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pinkspacecat15 from:

cava (11-24-2018)

@Diggie's Friend, yep, those are the type of squirrels that my squirrels are!
    I can buy mealworms from the petshop, so they'll probably like those. I'll follow your advice on their diet and dig around to find out what fruits with seeds they eat (and aren't toxic) before I give them. I'm keeping a close eye on what the squirrels in my area eat too. I'll research the plants in the studies to see which ones I can find

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to pinkspacecat15:

cava (11-24-2018), Diggie's Friend (11-24-2018)

In foraging for leaves and fruits, best to be off the beaten path (with a body guard),

you don't want to harvest leaves and fruits anywhere near car exhaust!

Also, blanch (boil 90 sec.) the outside of fruits before you cut them open, it is a rainforest climate that easily promotes bacterial growth.

I assume grub worms are available from what I have read of the diet of this region of the globe; if you can find it buy human grade. Do not feed these like potato chips, give only a small measure daily, no more. 1/2 Tsp. chopped should be fine.

See if you can find a human pre-probiotic formula without allot of additives included also. The reason is that Pre-probiotics support both bone health, and the reduction of anti nutrients (oxalates) in the intestinal tract; this also reduces bad bacteria in the intestines, which support of good bacteria that supports health, and good digestion.

These products are the two best sources I know of for (SBO) "soil based good bacteria", that is grown in a lab so that no bad bacteria is promoted, and includes humates (prebiotic) that does multi duty as an anti-bacterial and anti viral natural source, along with providing trace minerals. These products both have a very long shelf life. include (1/64) Tsp. out of the contents of a capsule, saving the rest for other doses till used up. Place the dose into yogurt with just 1/4 Tsp. measure of fruit without seeds, or into another moist food.

You can read more about this here:

https://vitalityscience.com/product/pet-flora/

Pet Flora by Safer Medical of Montana

Also Pet flora by Vitality Science of New Mexico.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (11-25-2018)

@Diggie's Friend, thank you for the great tips! They're really helpful We'll make sure we stick to them for the squirrels. I'll see if we can buy the pre-biotics for them too

(Artocarpus elasticus), commonly referred to as Mendi, is listed as one of the key sources of food that the Gray-bellied squirrels consumes. Other related tree fruits to this source are also included in this article. This list also includes other the trees and fruits that they bear in the region of southern Asia. Not all will be in your area likely, but some will.

http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruit...arpusGuide.htm

Ficus (Fig tree) fruit is also noted as a key source this species consumes.

http://science.answers.com/Q/Is_frui...us_tree_edible

Some species of Ficus are edible, some are not.
    For example:

the fruit of the common landscaping vine called Creeping Fig, or Ficus pumila, will make you sick if you eat it.
    It follows to not feed fruits from the ornamental Ficus trees or vines.

However, the fruit of the Common Fig, or Ficus carica, is tasty and is grown commercially for its fruit.
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/edible-fig-tree.html

Figs from edible fig trees are good. Fig skin (sepal) is high in oxalates, yet inner fruit-flower is lower, as flowers are typically low in oxalates, yet the. Scooping out the center to feed in a small amount when ripe in season, is fine to do, just not frequently.

ps. (Don't release the squirrels near a fig orchard for their own sake.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One source listed I would pass on for the sap is poisonous if it gets into a cut, and is irritating to the skin also.

Give this one a wide berth.

Even so listed as a food tree, Burseraece,, Canarium (misspelled as "cnurium" in the study.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canarium

http://www.botanical-dermatology-dat...lder/BURS.html

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (11-26-2018)

I thought to add it is needful to open all figs, as wasps may lay their eggs in them, which you don't want that coming out at a squirrel, or have the squirrels bite into them. Nor would you want them emerging inside your house either!

Scooping out what is technically an inverted flower, not a fruit, and feeding it occassionally, while not feeding the sepal (the green pithy part that appears like unto the skin of a fruit, yet isn't), as this structure is very high in oxalates (a calcium robbing anti-nutrient).

I see I made a typo above on the name: (Burseraceae Canurium)

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (11-26-2018)

@Diggie's friend, thanks for helping with the research! I've made a list of the foods for reference. We tracked down the trees/main food items around our place (away from cars!) to pick and give them. I've given the squirrels bamboo leaves and they are enjoying it, along with bok choy. I also noticed they're eating the bark from some of the sticks I've put in... just have to figure out which trees I got them from! The squirrels are still drinking milk (ChiChi drinks more than Dek) and weigh 120 grams each now. The wild grey-bellied squirrel has turned back up in our garden so we're watching what it eats for more ideas too ^_^
    Would it be alright to give them fruit/flowers now, even though I haven't been able to get them rat block or should I wait?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pinkspacecat15 from:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019)

The table in the study noted sources by abbreviations. Four flowers are noted in the Table for this species.

Be sure to pick them off the tree, never off the ground, and examine them also for insects,insect eggs. dirt and debris. I hope you have a good magnifying glass for you will need it for this purpose. Washing them off can be tricky as it tends to get the flowers soggy.

Introduce only one new food daily, alternate sources of specific forms, insects, flowers, fruits, leaves etc. daily when possible.

Keeping a journal of what sources you feed just in case a problem develops is prudent, as you don't end up losing all the sources you have found. Anything you observed that is unusual, be it changes in stool, heaving, sneezing after feeding a new food may indicate to stop feeding it.

I would get a bottle of activated charcoal just in case a problem occurs; at least then you have a source to give to help to offset any possible toxins to mix with water in hydrating the squirrel.

Do your own more intensive research into what info there is on these sources, for in doing so you will learn of any possible problems, like the one with the source I noted that the sap of the same plant is poisonous.

Allot of the sources are in the rainforest are toxic, as the study didn't' specify, only noted what the squirrels feed on. So keep to the part noted they feed on, not other parts of the same plant, not adding to them other parts of the same plant as some as I shared are toxic. Only feed the specific 'forms' noted, that as the part of the plant specifically noted, no others.

Since a squirrel in captivity will eat almost any wild source, so don't go by this, or make your squirrels experimental animals to try them. In observing the wilds, be careful not to assume that if a squirrel tries a source that it is ok, for they try them to taste them, not always eat much of them. It those sources they consume regular, watch the adults for this, don't rely on the young ones that are just learning what it good to eat.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (11-28-2018)

SandySquirrel Guest

When we transition from nursing to solids, we start by soaking the rodent block in the formula, until its nice and soft, then put in a flat dish for the babies. But you have to take it away after an hour, so it wont spoil. The milk is familiar to them, and they take it easier. We use Zupreem

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SandySquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (12-03-2018), GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (11-30-2018)

Just to let you guys know that Dek passed away in his sleep yesterday. He was being bit fincky with his food and a lil more sleepier but he was bouncy and active the day before... We think he may have had an internal injury because he fell 12+ feet from his nest (we found it in one of the trees in our backyard). We are heartbroken about him and will miss him dearly.

ChiChi was very upset but she's calmed down now. She's eating lots of food and putting on lots of weight. She's a bouncy lil girl and a sweetie pie. She's doing well on the wild food (figs, bananas, bamboo leaves, flowers, greens, etc). We're concerned how she'll go being the lone squirrel but hopefully she'll be okay.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to pinkspacecat15:

cava (12-07-2018), Diggie's Friend (04-12-2019), GoldenEyes (01-20-2019)

I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby's passing. Sometimes we just don't know what happened before they came to us. You did your best, and I'm sure this little one knew how much he was loved.

R.I.P. sweet Dek. You will always be remembered with love. You can go with the angels now, go run in the trees and play to your heart's content, sweetheart.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (12-06-2018)

Hi all and Happy New Year! It's been a while since I last posted so thought I'd update you guys as to how ChiChi is going.

She's almost 16 weeks old now and eating very well. She loves her fruit, and greens. She also enjoys palm nuts as treats (the type the local squirrels eat here) and chews them open like coconuts. She's doing okay without Dek. But after Dek died, it became very hard to handle her and she got lost in the room once and we had to try to catch her in the dark another time... So we left handling ChiChi as she didn't want contact. We figured out a system to swap her into a cat carrier while we cleaned her cage, and she enjoys the swap game :P She enjoys her string toys and other fun squirrel safe things we give her. The forum was very useful for toy ideas and other things to keep her happy!

I'd been taking ChiChi in and out of the house for a while, and 3 weeks ago I moved her cage outside under our patio permanent. During the day she goes out into our backyard under the trees, and nighttime she's under the patio. She's adapted very well and is quite settled with outdoor life. Other squirrels have been around and I've spotted a few other grey-bellies in my neighborhood. Also an adult grey-bellied squirrel moved into our backyard about a month ago, with a nest in one of our trees (unsure if it's a male or female). It has approached ChiChi's cage several times in the garden. First few times it was thrashing its tail, but it seems to be calmer around her now. Today it hopped on her cage, for the first time, to investigate and was more interested in her food than her! ChiCh was chill about it. I think she was more concerned about the squirrel taking her palm nut as she held it in her mouth the whole time... Lol!

I did contact WWF for help and they put me in touch with the wildlife department as apparently by law only they can handle and rehabilitate wildlife. I replied to the wildlife department and gave my contact, but it's been a week and I've yet to hear back. I understand their focus is on protected and endangered species though so it looks like we'll still have to do it ourselves.

I'm planning on perhaps doing a soft release this week, opening the cage door so she can come and go. I'd thought I'd check in with you guys first though. What do you think? Any advice would be very appreciated!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pinkspacecat15 from:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019)

There was no medical reason that ChiChi couldn’t be released, correct? If so, then it sounds like you are doing what most of us do by allowing her to adapt to outside life and get acquainted with the other squirrels prior to release. Your temps are not cold, right? If that’s the case and you have checked the weather forecast for storms for the upcoming week or so, then I don’t see why you couldn’t release her. At 16 weeks she’s about the age of gray squirrels when released, but if by chance your species of squirrel takes longer to mature then you would need to adjust your release schedule.

Does her cage have a small (3”x3”) opening that can be left open during the day but closed at night if she returns to the safety of her cage? This is necessary to keep her safe and then opened at dawn. Continuing to provide food and a safe place to retreat to for however long ChiChi needs it is important until she builds her own nest and is capable of finding her own food.

Best of luck.

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

GoldenEyes (01-20-2019), pinkspacecat15 (01-20-2019)

@Mel1959, thanks for the advice! Yes, ChiChi has no medical issues and she's very healthy and active. We're in the hot season right now (kinda like summer) but I've just checked the weather forecast and it's clear for the next week ^u^ I'm not sure how long it takes grey-bellied squirrels to mature, they only live for 3-5 years. I think she should be okay though.

I can modify her cage to have a 3" x 3" opening/door before I release her and will keep providing food/shelter for her. Thanks for the help and will let you know how ChiChi goes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123