Thread: Please help injured grey squirrel

Squirrel77 Guest

Exclamation Please help injured grey squirrel

Found him out side my heart hurts as I watched this poor guy fall out a tree he hit the top of his head in sure it was pretty hard for he was not moving at all at first only breathing with strong heart rate. Then he finally started moving his lower body after 30 mins but no movement from his upper body mouth was stuck half open no blood or visable wounds. Another hour goes by and he starts moving his head around just a little so it gives me hope he is trying to recover so I care for him in hopes he will recover. he is better then when I found him but I still could use help unsure what to do he is moving his neck and head all around he is trying to get up and move around but is being stoped by him not able to move his shoulders and both arms and claws and his mouth is still open but not as much it seems like he can not swallow someone please help asap hes trying to eat but something is stopping him I don't want him to suffer

Squirrel77 Guest

Exclamation Re: Please help injured grey squirrel

I have been trying to find help and post on this board since I found him this is now second day and I only got him to drink every little water. He wants to eat food but can not swallow I crushed food very small he tries gets it in his mouth and then soon later is spitting it out unable to swallow I so badly want to help him I do not want him to die nor do I want him to suffer my husband is wanting to put him down please if somebody knows anything that could help me help him I am in desperate need of the info

Default Re: Please help injured grey squirrel

He might be able to take some liquid nutrition. Get some pecan flavored Ensure and a 1cc syringe from a pharmacist. Tell them you’re feeding baby kittens....they’re usually more sympathetic to that. Offer the Ensure at room temperature. Go slow and see if he will/can swallow it. He will die without hydration of some kind.

Do you have access to prednisone? If you can find a single pill and give us the strength and the weight of the squirrel someone can help you dose it. Prednisone is an anti inflammatory and may help him recover by reducing the inflammation on his brain or spine.

Thank you for wanting to help.

Can you post up a photo? Please check your PMs!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Squirrel77 Guest

No I do not have that med. But I will try to find it I did give him infant Motrin on dosage I seen on this site. I have tryed feeding him with the syringe he will not open his mouth much wider then it is he does try to lick that's how I got him to drink yesterday . he will not let me put the smallest syringe in his mouth so I had a baby feeding tube that connects to the syringe and that's how he got something in him yesterday but he only drink very little . so today he drink less and he is trying to turn it away but he wants to try to eat the soild food . he allowed the tube in his mouth I don't think he can swallow right because it seems like his letting the tube in his throat some . I even liquefied the soild food he eat little yesterday but would not today he only drink some water and I had to make him

Squirrel77 Guest

I will try to post picture I'm still learning how to use this site very new at this. So sorry if I spell things wrong ect. I'm typing very fast and don't want to waste time reading over it . I just want to make this little guy better I don't want him to be put down if he can recover.

Try to keep this squirrel in a warm, quiet, darkish place. Don't try to force feed him. You can put a small, shallow bowl of water near him.

Check your PM for contact info for a experienced rehabber who can take him.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelDad (11-08-2018)

Please give me a call. I think I'm probably the closest to you, and we could meet halfway somewhere tomorrow. I'm a rehabber on the shore and have all the meds and care he needs. Mary 410-739-9132
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to farm mom:

Grinderhead (11-09-2018), HRT4SQRLS (11-08-2018), Mel1959 (11-08-2018), Nancy in New York (11-09-2018), Spanky (11-08-2018), stepnstone (11-09-2018)

. Squirrel77 - this is the experienced rehabber I reached out to who can help. Your squirrel needs critical care and time frame is important, please contact Mary!

-Grateful Dead

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (11-09-2018)

Any updates?

-Grateful Dead

Members who have read this thread: 2