Thread: Bloated baby Rhea 11.6 weeks old

Hybrid View

Default Bloated baby Rhea 11.6 weeks old

Taking antibiotics morning and evening, probiotics at midday. Good appetite, maybe too good... Checked her belly and it is extremely tight and huge! She weighed 206 grams last night and 230 grams just now while bloated.
    Haven't seen her poop today, but her urine is clear.

Anything I can do for her? Should I just wait and let it pass?

What is different today:
    She had Henry's blocks for the first time today and I did not add extra probiotics to her yogurt like I have been (kicking myself)

She has been drinking water. At the moment, she is sleeping it off. One of the babies called me for the first time, I don't know which one.

Default Re: Bloated baby Rhea 11.6 weeks old

I would encourage her to drink. Sometimes probiotics (especially if the body isn't used to them) can cause major gas. Hopefully she is just gassy. I would definitely give her a dose of baby Gas x (infant simethicone). Her dose is 0.5 ml. Give once, see if that helps, ok to give again a few hours later. Let us know how she's doing.

Hold food for a short time and until you get the belly down and consider one or the other (yogurt with probiotics or the pill dosage) but not both.

You can get infant gas x at any pharmacy.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Scooterzmom (11-11-2018), SquirrelDad (11-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I would encourage her to drink. Sometimes probiotics (especially if the body isn't used to them) can cause major gas. Hopefully she is just gassy. I would definitely give her a dose of baby Gas x (infant simethicone). Her dose is 0.5 ml. Give once, see if that helps, ok to give again a few hours later. Let us know how she's doing.

Hold food for a short time and until you get the belly down and consider one or the other (yogurt with probiotics or the pill dosage) but not both.

You can get infant gas x at any pharmacy.
    Thank you! She is sleeping now, the sun is down. She ran around a little after I posted this and seems active and not to be in pain. Should I still go get the meds or just let her sleep and see how she is in the morning or when I check her later?

I would get some just in case. It is really nice to be able to just walk to the refrigerator and pull what you need from your squirrel health stash in there than to have to try to find someplace to buy it when you need it. Bloating at this age is a little unusual unless they gorge on something new. Go slowly when phasing in new foods - especially veggies. Make sure the first ones she gets are NOT gas producing like cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.

Formula is new and fresh? You are keeping the formula powder in the fridge or freezer?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Scooterzmom (11-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I would get some just in case. It is really nice to be able to just walk to the refrigerator and pull what you need from your squirrel health stash in there than to have to try to find someplace to buy it when you need it. Bloating at this age is a little unusual unless they gorge on something new. Go slowly when phasing in new foods - especially veggies. Make sure the first ones she gets are NOT gas producing like cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.

Formula is new and fresh? You are keeping the formula powder in the fridge or freezer?
    That's a good tip, I have been kind of reckless with giving them new foods all the time... The formula powder is on the fridge, is it supposed to be in the freezer?!

At any rate, I think this time I was overreacting and she is just full. I was reading more about feeding babies because mine were never fat!
    I think I never fed her to her full capacity and now that she is feeling well and coming back from having lost weight, I think she just gorged herself and got super full. Checking today it doesn't seem like bloat as much as I thought when I checked last night. She's not showing any signs of discomfort at all, on the contrary she is more energetic and lively than ever! I will watch those foods of course. I gave her a new one today, raw pumpkin, in case she is backed up. Hard to know unless I see her go because she is together with Ren in the squirrel room. She is drinking water and eating. Hoping she is just finally eating her fill and gaining some weight!

So... I think she is constipated. :c

What kind of meds can I give for this in conjunction with the ciprofloxacin she is already on?