Thread: Great to find this group !!

darrenmerc Guest

Smile Great to find this group !!

I have had pets all my life. Dogs. Parrots. Ferret. And now finally a dream! I had a squirrel really small around my patio! She ( I think ) had an issue with her eye. I’ve watched and fed her for a few weeks. The eye is much better but still a little swollen.
    She’s much smaller than a Gray squirrel and more the size of a Red, but her coat is much like a Gray. I’ve been told it’s most likely not a baby, but she’s small and I can feed her. I made biscuits that I’ve fed the squirrels for a few years. I use apples. Bananas. Peanuts (unsalted) sun flower seeds (unsalted) carrots. Yogurt (strawberry)
    The biscuit part is flower eggs oil milk.

I want to post a photo - haven’t learned how yet.

I have the little girl in a kennel now as she came to me outside. Shivering. Hungry. I put a kennel out with food and she went right in.

So. What next. ??? Any help would be great!

Default Re: Great to find this group !!

Could you post up a photo? Especially of her eye?

There is lots of info her about squirrel diet and I am sure some folks will post up with suggestions. You DIY block is probably very tasty for squirrels but not especially nutritious. Replacing some of the ingredients with a real rodent block would make it a lot more healthy. She might need some help recovering from an injury but the vast majority or squirrels do prefer to be out in the wild. Squirrels are not domesticated like cats/dogs and are VERY poor pets overall. Thanks for helping her and I hope we can help you nurse her to a full recovery!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (11-13-2018), Nancy in New York (11-13-2018)

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (11-13-2018), Nancy in New York (11-13-2018)

Default Re: Great to find this group !!

Darren

To TheSquirrel Board

Thanks for helping this little one. I would assume it's already very cold where you are so she probably will need some help to survive.
    If you are referring to a dog kennel, I don't think it will hold her. You have to be careful that the openings aren't big enough for the head to go through. If she can get her head through she can injure or kill herself. Put some tshirts or fleece in the container for warmth and for her to hide under. We don't use towels because they will snag the nails in the loops. You need to minimize the stress as wild squirrels can actually die due to captivity. I would keep her in a dark, quiet area. If she is extremely cold a little heat from a heating pad under the container would be helpful. Do NOT put a cord in the kennel/container. She would chew it and get electrocuted. You could also use a rice buddy or a bottle with warm water.

As far as food it depends on what your plans are... if you plan to keep her (I wouldn't recommend that) or just nurse her to health and release her. In captivity they have a very complex diet. If release is the goal, you won't have to follow the Healthy Diet to the letter of the law but there are still things that you will need to provide. One way to make your biscuit healthier is to add a crushed Tums to the batter. Squirrels need calcium in the diet and the crushed Tums will boost the calcium and make your treat more healthy. You could also add purried baby food veggie to the mix. Most squirrels like sugar snap peas and avocado.

Try to get a pic so we can see her. It will help.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (11-13-2018), Nancy in New York (11-13-2018), stepnstone (11-13-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.