Thread: Dose Clavamox

Default Dose Clavamox

I have a young grey about 250 g with pretty nasty infection. I had Baytril on hand and dosed according to previous recommendations for other problems. But it’s still looking pretty bad... It’s a tail wound; red, swollen and split open ( underside)
    I just didn’t know if Clavamox is tough on their GI, but if it’s better than Baytril I’ll switch.

Default Re: Dose Clavamox

How long has he been on Cipro? If more than 3-4 days with no improvement, I would consider cross tapering over to Clavamox which tends to be better for external injuries. Is there any improvement at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I have a young grey about 250 g with pretty nasty infection. I had Baytril on hand and dosed according to previous recommendations for other problems. But it’s still looking pretty bad... It’s a tail wound; red, swollen and split open ( underside)
    I just didn’t know if Clavamox is tough on their GI, but if it’s better than Baytril I’ll switch.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (11-07-2018)

Some improvement; it was a bite to her tail about 3 days ago. Seemed like a superficial , barely a puncture, nip. But within 48 hours it was a swollen, angry red infection. I feel horrible I didn’t start meds immediately but it looked like the bite had barely broken the skin
    The Baytril is helping some, it’s not any worse, just very slow improvement. I’m dosing it at 5mg/kg twice daily with once daily Meloxicam, and applying betadine to the “crack” in the skin, as well as topical ointment. I know the latter two are probably not much help but maybe a little .

So she has been on it 1-2 days? If so, I might give the Cipro more time as long as it does not appear to be getting worse. What type of bite? Cat? Squirrel? I can send you Clavamox dosing just in case you switch over but I would give the Baytril more time than a day or two to really start working.

Some improvement; it was a bite to her tail about 3 days ago. Seemed like a superficial , barely a puncture, nip. But within 48 hours it was a swollen, angry red infection. I feel horrible I didn’t start meds immediately but it looked like the bite had barely broken the skin
    The Baytril is helping some, it’s not any worse, just very slow improvement. I’m dosing it at 5mg/kg twice daily with once daily Meloxicam, and applying betadine to the “crack” in the skin, as well as topical ointment. I know the latter two are probably not much help but maybe a little .

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Scooterzmom (11-07-2018), Snicker Bar (11-07-2018)

Actually, I would switch right away. Any type of bite would involve oral organisms and the Cipro isn't enough. It has no coverage for the anaerobes and very little for Strep.
    The recommended antibiotic for any type of bite (in humans) is Augmentin (Clavamox).

Some might have a different experience but I haven't seen a lot of GI issues with Clavamox when treating squirrels. Others might disagree with that but my experience is that it is tolerated well.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Grinderhead (11-07-2018), Scooterzmom (11-07-2018), Snicker Bar (11-07-2018), stepnstone (11-08-2018)

It was a squirrel bite,
    Days are running together here ; it happened Friday I believe . Sat it looked fine, Sunday bad. Started her Sunday, so it’s been 4 days in on cipro/Baytril .

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (11-07-2018)

I defer to HRT4SQYRL on this, just need the size pill of the Clavamox, weight is 250g?

I agree with HRT4SQYRL about GI issues not being something that I have noticed with Clavamox. Truth be told, I have not seen major GI issues with any of the ABs I have used (Clavamox, Cipro, Doxy, SMZ-TMP, Clinadmycin etc) but perhaps that is in part because I add probiotics too?

-Grateful Dead

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (11-07-2018)

That’s a relief to know, thank you! In pups and kittens they can get diarrhea and loss of appetite. And I didn’t want loose poo contamination of the wound. But will stand by for more info on the dose . I can add yogurt for the probiotics; good idea !

What strength clavamox do you have?

That’s a relief to know, thank you! In pups and kittens they can get diarrhea and loss of appetite. And I didn’t want loose poo contamination of the wound. But will stand by for more info on the dose . I can add yogurt for the probiotics; good idea !

-Grateful Dead

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (11-07-2018)

I have access to any size pill or the powder 62 . 5 mg / ml powder,
    And reweighed she’s approx 260 g,

PM sent!

I have access to any size pill or the powder 62 . 5 mg / ml powder,
    And reweighed she’s approx 260 g,

-Grateful Dead

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Nancy in New York (11-08-2018)

Since she is paralyzed, I would stop the meloxacam. No reason to stress her kidneys when she can't feel pain.

Watch for any movement of this infection, we don't want it traveling up the tail into the base of the spine.

-Grateful Dead

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Snicker Bar (11-08-2018)

I wanted to chime in about Clavamox on eastern gray squirrels and its effect on their GI tract. My personal experience with Trooper and Toddy, another female EGS member on the forum (Trooper is 7 years old and Toddy is 9 years old) is that Clavamox will produce some kind of intestinal upset, which will depend on the specific squirrel's gut beneficial bacterial flora. It must be supplemented with a combination of saccharomyces boulardii and lactobacillus acidophilus or bifidobaterium animalis. Yoghurts probiotics from the grocery store will not have enough population of the probiotics mentioned to have a timely effect with the dosing of antibiotics. Yoghurts can be used as a concomitant or additional treatment during or after the AB is stopped.

When Trooper got his first and second dose of Clavamox, his poop turned "pumpkin pie" color, granular in texture and very soft, borderline diarrhea but still formed as a pellet. So I began giving him one hour before or after, a mixture of 3 ml water or sweetened water, coconut water or any water they like and 1/36 tablespoon of the probiotics noted above mixed all together (I mix all three strains, put it on a small jar and keep in the fridge in their dry powdery form). Warm water works best at dissolving the yeasts, but not hot or they will die.

Also Clavamox must be given with food to prevent upper GI upset (mostly stomach and/or duodenum). The food must be given immediately before or after an AB dosing. The results were that after 12 hours of first inoculation of probiotics, his poops were perfectly formed, normal color, firm to the touch but with a small amount of sticky mucous film covering its surface.

The probiotics need to be administered at least 1 hour after the last dose of Clavamox is given and once more 12 hour or 24 hours (best) after the last dose of Clavamox is given.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Trooper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Trooper:

Snicker Bar (11-08-2018), SquirrelDad (11-08-2018)

Oh gosh, that’s concerning ,
    Thank you for alerting me about the yogurt! I would have just assumed it would serve the purpose;
    I hate your baby went through that but grateful you could pass on tips for others !