Thread: Anyone with a paralyzed squirrel

Kris1231 Guest

Default Anyone with a paralyzed squirrel

Good Morning everyone! I would love to get peoples opinion on cages for these guys. I have one who drags his back legs because of a fractured spine. I swear he has no idea he’s different. He climbs and hangs on everything. I am very worried about giving him the best life possible and need some ideas. I do have fleece lined cages and I have a large branch in there now to hang from but I feel like it’s not enough stimulation and the fleece slides everywhere so I am working on getting a new cage setup like the critter nation one. I do have one but unfortunately I have other squirrels in there at the moment. Please any suggestions welcome....thank you

Default Re: Anyone with a paralyzed squirrel

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...lyzed-Squirrel

2 years ago we had a feisty-bitey little guy we called MILAGRO--( It means miracle in Spanish) . He came to us with both back legs paralyzed from a fall from a tree. In the beginning his legs were still flexible when we moved them. In the following months they "froze" in a weird split position. He never knew or cared that his back legs never worked. He just lived his life.
    I hope these photos ( a lot, I know) will help or guide you in what you may ( or may not) experience with your injured friend. My guy was a FIGHTER and a BITER. Maybe yours will be a SOFTIE.

Others will probably offer suggestions as well because each squirrel and each problem is unique. These are just my memories. Please ask any questions that come up>>>> remember--NO question is foolish.

Name:  milagro glove doubled.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  106.8 KBName:  milagro cage wooden.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  91.6 KBName:  milagro cage pieces.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  142.8 KBName:  milagro carpets-washing day.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  173.5 KBName:  milagro nest box cardboard.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  116.6 KBName:  milagro nest box carpet.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  109.5 KBName:  milagro nest box fleece.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  111.2 KBName:  Milagro-deal with it.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  129.1 KBName:  milagro cage minimal.jpg
Size:  88.8 KBName:  milagro glove duct tape.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  141.0 KB

Because most paralyzed squirrels have no bladder control, pee is a daily problem. Pee on fleece, pee on cage, pee on squirrel...etc. So I purchased a remnant carpet and cut several pieces to fit exactly in the bottom of his cage and smaller carpet pieces to fit in his nest box. This allowed me to change the stinky ones EVERY MORNING for fresh ones. The carpet being "rigid" also didn't bunch up or move--and it offered a soft floor so he didn't drag his bottom on something rough. After a day or so ( depending on the smell) usually every day the carpets were changed and the soiled ones put outside. When I collected several dirty ones...-- I took them outside and with a garden hose thoroughly squirted them to remove the urine . It took 2 days to dry them completely in the sun, so I would have several similar pieces available. Sounds like a lot of work ?? but it made the cage a clean, comfortable, odor free place for him.
    I made him a nest box out of a strong cardboard box and COMPLETELY covered it with clear packing tape INSIDE and OUT--and then extra tape on all corners. My box lasted an entire year. He peed on everything so I just wiped down the box with a damp rag and it was ready again. Also his fleece in his nest box was changed and cleaned as needed. I cut a low entry on one end because MILAGRO's legs were a challenge to get into any normal size nest bos opening.
    I gave him one strong branch and he could climb it with ease. He was as fast with 2 legs as any 4 legged squirrel we ever had. The 1/2 by 1/2 hardware cloth wire allowed him to climb up inside his cage easily.
    I will post other pics later...Just wanted to reply ASDAP to you first post.

My MILAGRO was a SERIOUS biter. From day one he would CLAMP down on any finger near his head. So I got some welders gloves. HEAVY leather. --I found that even those were hardly enough protection. His jaw strength was amazing. His teeth didn't get thru the leather(at first) but the bite pressure was still slightly painful. After a few weeks I had to add a second finger ( from a separate glove) over the original glove. Then I added Duct Tape--because he just bit & bit . I had countless layers of Duct Tape ---Ha!..
    Also...because he peed on himself--because he couldn't control his bladder. ..he needed baths EVERY DAY. I did them in the mornings... I used just warm water in a small plastic tub...and once or twice a week a diluted soapy water bath and then a thorough clear water bath to rinse of any soap residue. he actually liked the warm water. I used a small piece of a washcloth to rub and clean his fur. (and a glove of course.)
    With all his "NEEDS" I think I loved him even more....

Name:  Milagro-deal with it.jpg
Size:  129.1 KBName:  milagro glove duct tape.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  141.0 KBName:  milagro glove doubled.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  106.8 KBName:  milagro glove.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  105.3 KBName:  milagro bath 2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  112.3 KBName:  milagro bath bucket.jpg
Size:  104.2 KBName:  milagro bath 3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  114.4 KB

Some of these pics are "EARLY" Milagro--before his legs got WONKY....

Name:  milagro split legs 3.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  milagro-split.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  144.4 KBName:  milagro syringe drink.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  111.7 KBName:  milagro carpet messy.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  119.9 KBName:  milagro cage carpet.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  114.8 KBName:  milagro on stick.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  105.1 KBName:  milagro split legs-001.jpg
Size:  116.3 KBName:  milagro and dad.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  86.8 KBName:  milagro on wire.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  148.9 KBName:  milagro sleep-leg outside.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  118.6 KBName:  Milagro carpet.jpg
Size:  105.9 KB

Milagro's split legs would seem to be a problem--But to HIM ??? Not an ISSUE. he could climb and HOP on & off his branch and across the wire in his cage... like a MONKEY...

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

redwuff (11-06-2018)

Kris1231 Guest

Aww ty for all the info and pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris1231 View Post
    Aww ty for all the info and pics!!!
    Remember---write down ANY question that arises --and ask--HERE.
    We all at TSB are here to assist and support.
    Good Luck.... You are NOT alone...….

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

redwuff (12-18-2018)

I was just wondering how things are going with your paralyzed little friend? Do you have any questions? Have you found or constructed a cage ? Is it a male or female squirrel.? Can you hold/handle him (her) barehanded? I hope all is well. Remember, sometimes they are compromised internally as well and their lifespan is sometimes lessened. Can you post a photo here as an update.? Many TSB members have or did have paralyzed friends and would like to hear how you are doing----Happy Holidays ……………….

Name:  DUDE christmas tree 2012.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  111.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 2