Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Rosie, your mailbox is full.
    MAILBOX NOW OPEN !

The mucus in Luna's sinus is worse than ever !

Stosh is checking with the Lab to find out how long we hve to wait after stopping the AB's so we can have the
    mucus tested again.

I have to wonder IF - IF the Cipro was too far out of date....or maybe the heat here destroyed it. I used to
    keep ALL our meds in the frig but was told not to do that. Now I wonder, maybe is was not a good idea.

I am feeling much concern......
    I gave Luna a small dose of Tramadol this morning.... as while she was in be she kept flicking her tail and her
    eye is very bad...... thinking she was or is in a bit of pain.... but she ate ALL her HHB balls once I pulled her
    out of her box.... and she wants her other food now too - - - - but I am fearful for her.

My gentle cuddle bunny.

Poor Luna! at least she is eating, that is a good sign.

I think that if the infection is not responding to the antibiotic anyway, you probably don't have to wait for very long. Maybe 48 hours? The antibiotic is not killing the bacteria, so it should still show up in a culture. This is just my guess because it probably varies depending on the bacteria and also the antibiotics used.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    The mucus in Luna's sinus is worse than ever !

Stosh is checking with the Lab to find out how long we hve to wait after stopping the AB's so we can have the
    mucus tested again.

I have to wonder IF - IF the Cipro was too far out of date....or maybe the heat here destroyed it. I used to
    keep ALL our meds in the frig but was told not to do that. Now I wonder, maybe is was not a good idea.

I am feeling much concern......
    I gave Luna a small dose of Tramadol this morning.... as while she was in be she kept flicking her tail and her
    eye is very bad...... thinking she was or is in a bit of pain.... but she ate ALL her HHB balls once I pulled her
    out of her box.... and she wants her other food now too - - - - but I am fearful for her.

My gentle cuddle bunny.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RamaMama (04-22-2019)

Checked on Luna twice in the middle of the night...... first time she was breathing very labored....
    but sleeping....

I let her be for awhile as I pondered if I should get her UP and just what I could do for her.... had already
    used the Decon nose drops..... and a small amount of Tram..... not a full dose as the nose drops have
    antihistamine and did not want to overdose her and make her breathing that much harder.

Checked her an hour later and she was sleeping more peacefully and breathing much better.... she may have snorted
    something OUT in the meantime.

This morning she was in a lot of Pain...... gave her only 0.9 cc of Tram as I want to help the pain but not make
    her sleep all day ---- laying down is the worst. She gobbled up her HHB balls and proceeded to eat her, or some
    of her regular food.
    That is at least some thing good.

I am taking slow breaths or trying to otherwise the chest pains will come back again.... but it is inevitable .

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RamaMama (04-23-2019)

Rosie, I'm worried about YOU! Chest pain is always a concern. It might be anxiety induced like a panic attack OR it could be your heart. It isn't something to push aside and ignore. Heart attacks always give warnings.

By the word 'inevitable' I'm not sure if you're referring to Luna or your own health.
    If you're referring to Luna it is probably time to start thinking about letting her go.
    I'm afraid she is suffering and I KNOW you are. I remember the last time I was faced with this situation. I suffered along with the animal and ultimately when it was over, my great sadness was tempered by an overwhelming sense of relief.
    My baby found peace and so did I.

I'm here for you Rosie.

9. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (04-24-2019), Mel1959 (04-23-2019), Nancy in New York (04-23-2019), RamaMama (04-23-2019), TubeDriver (04-23-2019)

It is tough.

Inevitable... I guess is both. When I get REALLY upset, it get anxiety attack which equates to chest pain.... or my muscles
    in my back become so tense that it pulls my vertebrate out of sink and will cause spasms in my back and shooting or gripping pain in my chest and neck. I have had it happen for years many hundreds of times...... once I calm down and/or get a Chiropractic adjustment........... it all goes away.

As for Luna...... I know her quality of life is nothing like it used to be. I can't let her out into the playrooms for fear
    the others will or might get the e coli. She has almost solitary cage time....
    She is just sooooo sweet........ none other is like her here. Such a tender little heart.... I hold her and snuggle a little
    every night.

How come we never hear about others who have to put their babies down........ all I recall is most all leave at home.... not being taken to a Vet and "put down". Why can't our babies leave quiet like that too? Just feeling really BAD.

Rosie, you and gentle Luna are in my thoughts and prayers. It all feels so unfair and uncertain when a loved animal is reaching the end of their time with us here. Maybe because I am an admin here but I do hear about squirrels that are euthanized at the vet or some who are brought to the vet so late that they pass during the vet visit/procedure. It is so hard to endure, even when it is the kindest thing we can offer to our little friends. I guess we all should wish to be lucky enough to just pass over in our sleep, but sometimes that does not happen. I wanted to answer your question here but really I am just sending hugs and healing thoughts to you, Stosh and Luna.

It is tough.

Inevitable... I guess is both. When I get REALLY upset, it get anxiety attack which equates to chest pain.... or my muscles
    in my back become so tense that it pulls my vertebrate out of sink and will cause spasms in my back and shooting or gripping pain in my chest and neck. I have had it happen for years many hundreds of times...... once I calm down and/or get a Chiropractic adjustment........... it all goes away.

As for Luna...... I know her quality of life is nothing like it used to be. I can't let her out into the playrooms for fear
    She is just sooooo sweet........ none other is like her here. Such a tender little heart.... I hold her and snuggle a little
    every night.

How come we never hear about others who have to put their babies down........ all I recall is most all leave at home.... not being taken to a Vet and "put down". Why can't our babies leave quiet like that too? Just feeling really BAD.

-Grateful Dead

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

HRT4SQRLS (04-23-2019), Mel1959 (04-24-2019), Nancy in New York (04-23-2019), RamaMama (04-23-2019)

Rosie I feel so so bad for you. What you are going through right is enough to drive someone mad. I know that feeling of helplessness... when my Hami got to the end I considered myself lucky that my vet came to our house to euthanize him, and he passed in my arms. If you need to talk, to open up, please do not hesitate. Your TSB family is here for you. If you need to talk privately, just PM me. I know how difficult it is to reach out, but please do so, for your own good and that of your little buzzer girl.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter, my darling Hami... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done now and you can enjoy your freedom. We'll meet at the Bridge again some day... and I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

HRT4SQRLS (04-23-2019), Mel1959 (04-24-2019), Nancy in New York (04-23-2019)

Rosie - The morning of the day Ellie died the vet wanted to put her down. He said she wasn't going to recover and I couldn't keep her doped on Midazolam forever. Her seizures were so powerful the meds were barely holding them back. I had an inkling of hope that it was an infection so I said even though it's less than 5% chance I wanted to fight. I knew as the words were coming out of my mouth I was wrong, I knew she wasn't getting better, I knew I was going to lose her, but I wasn't strong enough to say "ok Doc, put her down". Ellie didn't leave quietly, she was in constant seizures from 6am till she died that evening. Her quiet only came after she left. And to this day I'm pissed at myself for not giving my girl what she so desperately needed and deserved. I loved her dearly, but when the time came I just couldn't do it. I didn't share this before because I knew how people loved her and I didn't want to upset anyone with the "details". Knowing what I know now, if I had the opportunity to do it all over with Ellie, I would agree with the vet. I'm sharing now so you know that they don't all leave quietly at home....sometimes we just don't share all the details.

Holding you all in my prayers.

Top quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, toys, & nest boxes.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: www.AuntieMMsCustomBoutique.com Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

HRT4SQRLS (04-23-2019), Mel1959 (04-24-2019), RamaMama (04-23-2019), TubeDriver (04-23-2019), Vox (04-23-2019)

I can't let her out into the playrooms for fear
    every night.
    Rosie, I wanted you to know that having E.coli isn't what you think. She is not a hazard to the other squirrels. E.coli is part of the usual gastrointestinal flora. All mammals, including us and squirrels have E.Coli in the GI tract. E.coli is just like any other Gram negative rod. The reason Luna has E.coli in her nasal secretions is because of fecal contamination that has likely colonized a foreign body in her sinus (probable odontoma). We don't know for certain that she has odontoma but she does display all the classic symptoms. We also know that she hasn't responded to any treatments except maybe short term improvements. You do not need to keep her isolated from the play room. She will not expose the others to a dreaded pathogen. They already have E.coli. If you think she would enjoy time in the tree room, by all means let her go there. I would watch her though because exertion might cause her breathing issue to become acute.

If her cultures had grown MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus) that would be different. Then you would be concerned about others being exposed and becoming carriers of MRSA. Not so with E.coli.

Why can't our babies leave quiet like that too? Just feeling really BAD.
    Rosie, my heart breaks for you. It is a crushing decision. I understand completely. Actually, we ALL understand.
    Sending love and prayers. Peace friend.

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (04-24-2019), Milo's Mom (04-23-2019), Nancy in New York (04-27-2019), RamaMama (04-23-2019), TubeDriver (04-23-2019)

Thank you Patti for that info.... I know Luna would LOVE to be out and about. She jumps and jumps in her cage wanting
    to get out and it eases my fear for the others. Although she sounds stuffy, as of late yesterday she is not producing much mucus. ? ? Maybe it is the decongestant I used. Don't know.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences - I will take to heart what I have been told. Milo's Mom, I will remember
    what you expressed and revealed of your own struggles ......... when I feel the time has come and I know Luna is just plain suffering I will remember - I hope I have the strength to choose no pain for her. Not sure how soon that may be.

I am a little confused because even tho she is having issues and some times it seems very serious, she is still eating well....
    I will watch for when that changes......
    I can't help but wish - Wish - WISH she could be healed..... but that is wishing in the wind.

Thank you every one.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

Mel1959 (04-24-2019), Milo's Mom (04-23-2019)

Well, this morn Luna had a lot of mucus..... was able to get it into a speciman cup...
    Stosh will take it to the Lab this afternoon.

Will see what comes.

We are about to head to Vet to do a re-trim on Rama's bottom teeth. Very upset here.

Lots of love and prayers to all of you! I know this must be crazy nerve-wracking and stressful in the extreme, you have all my sympathies and I suspect everyone else's too.

Love to you and yours!

--
    V/r,

~T.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Vox:

Nancy in New York (04-24-2019), RamaMama (04-24-2019)

Most days, once Luna is UP and has cleared out her nose and begun to eat she is pretty happy, lively, wanting
    to play and be in play rooms. Until she lays down again ether in the afternoon or night time. She was good this
    morning, ate well, sort of happy etc until very late morning...... then she started having more breathing issues...
    like some one pushed a button and she felt like crap. Breathing labored and irregular.

She was sounding much more snotty today, all day, more than usual. Wed was the last time I used the Decongestant
    nose drops, one drop at night. That is all I ever do.

Gave her Gas X this afternoon as her tummy was bigger than usual.... she must be doing a lot of mouth breathing
    today.
    Tonight I will give her the Decon drops. I do not know how much or how long I can really do this as I realize it will
    end up having the opposite effect and block the nasal passage. I am REALLY surprised she can't breath out of the
    other nostril. ? ? ? Maybe it is completely blocked and I don't know it ? ? Don't know.

The Lab report has not come back yet and now with the weekend here we will not know anything until Monday
    or Tuesday.

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

kathy291 (04-27-2019), Nancy in New York (04-27-2019), TubeDriver (04-26-2019)

Luna is SOOOO jerking my chain ! !

This morning her tummy was NOT swollen.... and although I did give her about 0.10cc Tram she
    is really, really good. Still mucus but she is very active, eating lots and happy.

I am going insane -- but happy at her feeling better.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-27-2019)

Rosie, are you letting her run in the tree room? She needs that. The exercise will help her.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (04-27-2019), RamaMama (04-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Rosie, are you letting her run in the tree room? She needs that. The exercise will help her.
    YES! Once you told me about the e coli I let her in a room ASAP. She really likes it AND..... I think moving
    around like that helps to loosen up the mucus and get it moving OUT.
    Plus it is really good for her mental state of mind....

Thank you.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

HRT4SQRLS (04-27-2019)

I agree 100%. It will also help her to not get so bloated.

Mentally... sometimes it's not the length of our days, it's the quality of our days. Let her live!

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (04-27-2019)

Luna's LAB Resutls

Klebsiella ornithinolytica

I am confused. How did it change from one thing to another so fast ?
    This is bad, isn't it.
    Dude had this.

Which AB is best IF I have or can get ? She was on Cipro for 18 days but went from e coli to Kleb.
    What ? ? ? ?

Does she need to be kept away from the other squs ? ? ? ? ?

ANALISIS - Positive

Klebsiella ornithinolytica

Amikacina -S
    Ampicilina -R
    Ampicilina/sulbactam -S
    Aztreonam -S
    Cefepime -S
    Cefotaxime -S
    Cefotetán -S
    Ceftazidime -S
    Ceftriaxone -S
    Cefuroxime - Sodio -R